RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've just purchased an '07 RRS S/C, black on black with Zebrano wood, 35k miles, all original paint. I absolutely love it and it is by far the nicest vehicle I've owned (E39 M5 was 2nd nicest). Service records were immaculate, with only three non-scheduled maintenance item (problem with cargo mat peeling, power module reprogram at 6k miles and headlight adjustment). I was steering well clear of those that indicated repeated 'electrical system serviced' in regular intervals, which I saw a fair share of. Oh and contrary to my user name, I am located in the US.

My initial impressions: power is more than adequate, and very linear. It isn't a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Jeep SRT8 (my last vehicle) but it's extremely comfortable and just exudes class. You feel special driving one of these, especially when all I see around me are Honda's, Toyota's and the like (I'm so disgusted with the mediocrity that surrounds me). Looks badass in access mode, there's just nothing else like it on the road, period. Cruise at 90 mph with ease, and without even knowing it.

I do have a few general questions that I'm hoping you experts can help me with:

1. How much boost is running through the blower? And does anyone know who manufactures it? They ARE intercooled, right?
2. Do these engines have forged bottom ends, and does anyone know what the compression ratio is? I would assume it to be on the low side due to the blower
3. This is probably a somewhat hot topic, but my Blackberry Tour does NOT synch up with the RRS's bluetooth system. At the dealer, it paired perfectly with an '09, I'm assuming due to newer Bluetooth software. The dealer could not confirm that they'd be able to provide me with a software update, either free or at my expense. This kind of bothers me because it's as if you need to buy your phone when you get your RRS, otherwise you're screwed.
4. What can I expect in the next year or so and next 25k miles? Any suprises that might pop up?

Thanks everyone for your help and hope to contribute in the future. Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
Nice car., nice write up. I came out of a Cayenne Turbo and was nervous of how I'd take the lower horsepower in the RRS SC.., but to my extreme surprise it drives much stronger than I had anticipated. The power delivery is much different than my Cayenne TT.., its instant due to the SC. Granted, it is slower but not as I had expected and so far I am not missing the Cayenne. As you said.. its class and refinement are one of a kind.

Regarding your questions w/ the SC and boost, I'd like to know the answer as well. From my research, there isn't much regarding the performance side. I've seen pulleys, but when it comes to ECU tunes not much. One shop out here said that tuning the RRS SC was a severe pain in the ass. The computer would always somehow default to the stock ECU setup wiping out the loaded tune. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if you try to search for aftermarket companies the list is few and far between.

I'm lucky w/ my iphone.., the synching is perfect. Quality is much better than my 06 Audi S4 Avant.. I'm actually again quite surprised.

Ive always wanted the RRS SC, but with all the negative reviews regarding craftsmanship and mechanical issues, I was almost setting myself up to be disappointed. But after finally getting mine, I'm blown away by everything. As a whole, the car does everything I want.

Sorry for the rant, just backing up what you said. :lol:

Bojan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess with 60 views and just one response, nobody knows the answers to the questions I asked...can anyone at least tell me what my options are with regard to the Bluetooth synch issue with my Blackberry Tour?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
1, 2) Can’t answer your supercharger questions as mine in normally aspirated.
3) My VZW Tour running beta 5.0.0.230 pairs just fine with my 2006 RRS HSE (BT was upgraded), all functions work including phonebook sync. Please see the below link for BT upgrade issues and eligibility.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24359&p=270611&hilit=presses#p270611
4) My crystal ball was made in England and is not very reliable.

Adam

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
3. This is probably a somewhat hot topic, but my Blackberry Tour does NOT synch up with the RRS's bluetooth system. At the dealer, it paired perfectly with an '09, I'm assuming due to newer Bluetooth software. The dealer could not confirm that they'd be able to provide me with a software update, either free or at my expense. This kind of bothers me because it's as if you need to buy your phone when you get your RRS, otherwise you're screwed.
It doesn't pair at all? Can the phone find Land Rover when you search for nearby BT devices? What happens next? Even in my early 06 the Tour (with 4.7 "official" software release from VZW) would pair just fine with the car, even though I'd have to re-pair it manually each time...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob said:
Ukraine Range said:
It doesn't pair at all? Can the phone find Land Rover when you search for nearby BT devices? What happens next? Even in my early 06 the Tour (with 4.7 "official" software release from VZW) would pair just fine with the car, even though I'd have to re-pair it manually each time...
Sorry should have been clearer. It pairs just fine, but I cannot answer a call with the green button, nor can I use the number pad to dial numbers. I paired my wife's curve however and it works perfectly, which leads me to believe it is my phone which is too new for the RR's Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
1. How much boost is running through the blower? And does anyone know who manufactures it? They ARE intercooled, right?
2. Do these engines have forged bottom ends, and does anyone know what the compression ratio is? I would assume it to be on the low side due to the blower
4. What can I expect in the next year or so and next 25k miles? Any suprises that might pop up?
Main Entry: ar·ro·gant
Pronunciation: \-g?nt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin arrogant-, arrogans, present participle of arrogare
Date: 14th century
1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance

But anyhow,

1. 10 psi max. Not sure who the manufacturer is but its a twin screw Lysholm design. It has two aftercoolers, one on each cylinder bank.
2. Engine is all aluminum forged with iron liners. Its a variant of the Jag AJ-V8 engine running 9.1:1 compression.
4. Nothing particular comes to mind.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gooseyloosey said:
Ukraine Range said:
Main Entry: ar·ro·gant
Pronunciation: \-g?nt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin arrogant-, arrogans, present participle of arrogare
Date: 14th century
1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance

But anyhow,

1. 10 psi max. Not sure who the manufacturer is but its a twin screw Lysholm design. It has two aftercoolers, one on each cylinder bank.
2. Engine is all aluminum forged with iron liners. Its a variant of the Jag AJ-V8 engine running 9.1:1 compression.
4. Nothing particular comes to mind.
Thanks for the info, 10 psi seems like alot of boost for only 400 horse, I would've guessed 6-8 max...but not sure what you mean by what you wrote before providing the answers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts