RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I been looking out for a manual diesel P38 for a while, and just bought a 1996 one on eBay here in the UK, I bought it without looking (I know, big risk) And the ad had very little information but the pictures looked like it was in good condition. It was not attracting much interest most likely as the info was very scarce. I went down yesterday to have a look to see had I just mage a big mistake.

as it turned out it has it has been dry stored for 6 years. However it was started and moved in the storage space about 3 years ago. The chap that opened up told me he was the one that moved it and also said it had been well looked after, had the service history in the box with the leather wallet and both key fobs.

I had went somewhat prepared with new battery 120ah, batteries for the key fob, air and fuel filter and fresh diesel.

When I got there I was delighted. It was 100% orignal with 160k on the clock and a full service history to 140k all by Land Rover main dealer. Last entry 2012. Get this no rust on the upper or lower tailgates.

Fitted the new battery, checked all the fluids, popped the new batteries into the fob. It opens and locks and super locks. All the gauges and lights work, few messages came up about air suspension fault and electric O/S/F window not working.
However when you turn the key just a click!!!

I am thinking of bringing down a replacement starter motor. Have also just ordered the P38 file to be added to my Nanocom. It’s a bit of a drive to go down to the RR so any help or ideas will be very well received in advance of me going back down
I have started to read some treads on the topic but they vary so much I said I would just put this up, somebody may have had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
32 Posts
Hi, It's worth checking and cleaning all the earth connections, and the live connections to the solenoid and starter. Also, with the key off, put it in top gear and rock it just to see if the engine pulleys move ie not stuck/seized.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts