RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there has been so much discussion on exhaust mods and issues lately, I thought I would post my recent exhaust upgrade on my 2010 RRS S/C. I found a custom exhaust shop in Minneapolis that specialized in classic and performance car exhausts, and made an appointment to see the owner, Tim. Although I was reluctant to do so, he recommended lopping off both resonators and replacing it with a large-body Magnaflow muffler with built-in X-pipe.

The sound is exactly what I was looking for - a very low, deep and powerful rumble that disappears at cruising speeds, but a presence that is definitely there. I was looking for something a bit on the mild side because I live in a very quiet residential neighborhood, and didn't want it to be too loud and obnoxious. I don't know the exact model of Magnflow he used, but it's about 24" long, straight-through design with the X-pipe. It is unbelievably deep and powerful sounding, and when you get on the throttle, it's a muted roar that is just perfect. You know the sound that's played on the Magnaflow commercials on TV with Mario Andretti -- well, it's exactly like that!

Stock tubin sizes were retained from the muffler's outlet to the where the stock units were cut just before the bend over the rear axle. These tube lengths were approximately 2-3 feet long, and no bends were required. Sorry I don't have any pics, but it looks exactly the way you'd imagine it... a good sized shiny stainless muffler body with extension pipes. The best part is that from the outside and the back, it looks totally stock. But when you fire her up, the muted roar and rumble at idle is definitely there.

I tried recording a sound clip from inside the vehicle, but it didn't sound much different from stock. I'll have to try recording a video with sound with someone standing outside as I pull away. I will try to get this done and post it when available. In the meantime, this is a mod that I'd totally recommend to anyone looking to gain a bit more presence from the wimpy stock exhaust without making it too loud. I was really worried about resonance/drone, but there is NONE at all. The butt-dyno thinks there was a slight performance boost, but certainly no loss of low-rpm torque. But since I wasn't looking for a performance increase (just sound improvement), I'm very happy with the results.

Total cost for the muffler and installation = $360.00.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant! I'm headed stright to the nearest muffler shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What happens on the over-run, i.e. dropping down a gear coming up to a stop, or to use engine braking on a hill?

My old ’06 would make a few deep pops and bangs which was rather amusing, but when I took #7 off the ’10 there was a loud volley of high-pitched small arms fire out the back which wasn’t – which is why I put it back on.

The ’10 engine seems to produce a lot of small backfires on the over-run but you can hear them being “muffled” by the exhaust system, seemingly (soundingly?) at or before the first muffler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, I assume no low rpm performance issues, per your other post?

Certainly i never noticed it in the '06.

Sorry – I’m excited as I’ve been waiting for this since I bought the car in November….

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some mild popping sounds on decel/over-run, but this is a sound produced by the engine that the stock mufflers silence. It is not generated by the muffler. It's more noticeable when in sport mode when the tranny downshifts a bit more aggressively. Likewise with paddle downshifts in manual mode, and the popping is slightly noticeable but not enough to turn heads.

And no loss of low-rpm torque whatsoever. The sound is fantastic and I haven't listened to the radio or my iPod since the muffler was installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to be a dick about this, but is there any chance you could get a part number, or dimensions, from your guys?

Sounds like you have it dialed in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bart.

Sounds like the exhaust modifications are a lot more dialed in on your MY2010 ride, compared to the complications experienced with the first generation RRS's !

The increased engine performance efficiency must be leading to better exhaust gas flow through your modified system and have you thought about the intake ?

It's amazing what some of these old guru's can do with a pipe bending machine and welding rods, as I've experienced similar results on my german touring car.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK - I just did the exact same configuration as you; thanks for the part number - that made life very easy.

It's very much better than it was, but I’m still getting the backfire issue. Nowhere near as bad as simply taking off #7 - that had people ducking for cover - but there are still quite a few pops and bangs on the over-run, even in Normal shift mode. In Sport mode there’s 10x and it’s loud enough to be intrusive. It has the effect of making it sound more like a badly tuned engine than anything. These 5.0 s/c engines backfire a LOT more than the 4.0 s/c.

I live on a 1 in 4 hill in San Francisco and often use the engine to reduce the load on the brakes, and there’s just no way with this set up.

Sound is similar in volume to removing #7 on the pre-2010’s, but tonally flatter and not so deep. My ’06 growled, and had an incredibly deep sound. This configuration is more Mustang GT or “truck” than AMG 63, and much less satisfying, to my ears at least.

It’s a good start…

Incidentally I was only charged $250, even at San Francisco prices.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Barmats,

This is probably irrelevant, but is your new Magnaflow towards the front or the rear of the gap left by the two that were removed? Mine’s towards the rear and it sounds like maybe yours is towards the front.

I wonder if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raab - it sounds like your experience is quite different from mine. The over-run popping is barely noticeable when in normal drive mode (even with windows down), but is certainly louder in sport mode as the tranny downshifts earlier and more aggressively. I would describe the sound as extremely deep and smooth, like a muted roar, but I've never heard the pre-2010's.

My muffler is mounted towards the front where #7 and #8 used to be. If yours is more towards the back, I wonder if this could make a difference. There is a larger body available in a 5" x 11" oval muffler - model 12568. 22" body, 28" overall length. This may be worth a shot to see if it reduces the popping on decel.

It sounds like you got a great price for the muffler and install! Keep us posted on how it goes, especially if you try the larger muffler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vinniman said:
The increased engine performance efficiency must be leading to better exhaust gas flow through your modified system and have you thought about the intake ?
I haven't seen any aftermarket intakes for this vehicle yet, but would consider it. I don't expect that it would provide much of a performance improvement, though - in my experience with a 335i BMW and a Dodge Ram hemi with a CAI, the only real difference was increased intake noise (in the case of the Dodge it was an awful intake resonance honk) and less $$ in the wallet. The ECU and MAF units (don't know if this vehicle has one or not) adjust to the new A/F ratio and ends up keeping it the same as stock. Perhaps the best bang for the buck would be replacing the air filters with K&N.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Say, I don't know what all the angst is about regarding the popping and backfiring noises. Back in the 1960's/70's that was all the rage with the glasspack Cherry Bomb mufflers. You guys are just bringing it all back.

The 70's are back and cool again. We have a new Jimmy Carter in the White House, and I know y'all won't believe it, but flourescent ski clothing is making a comeback for the 2010/2011 season.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
but flourescent ski clothing is making a comeback for the 2010/2011 season.
Haha, yeah dude... you first!

Interesting to hear how different the results are from the '06 to the '10. I did the same (albeit with a flowmaster DIDO) on my '06 and it's great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m warming to this configuration.

Under gentle everyday driving conditions the pops and bangs are minimal, and the muffled “Pa-Pum” when lifting off the throttle at freeway speeds is quite amusing. I got one on start-up this morning, which made me smile.

More spirited driving, involving larger and more rapid changes in throttle inputs (i.e. abrupt throttle lift-off), and particularly paddle-shifting down into 2nd or 1st, produces a barrage of bangs and pops, but that can be fun too. Or annoying.

The point is that to a large extent you can choose the amount of noise by varying your driving style. Gentle = the odd muffled pop; “Spirited” = fireworks factory on fire.

The best part of the whole thing is that it annoys the living poop out of my girlfriend, and that’s worth 2 or 3 times the cost of installation right there. Excellent value of money!

I’ll amuse myself with the fireworks and keep things as they are for a few weeks, but will probably end up going up a size in muffler.

Rob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From our descriptions, one would think we have completely different mufflers!

For me, everyday driving in "D" produces very little popping on deceleration. In Sport mode or when using the paddles to downshift, it's a bit more pronounced but certainly not what I would call head-turning. Raab is correct in saying it's directly related to driving style.

On the plus side, the sound this muffler makes under mild or hard acceleration is intoxicating. I love the smooth, muted roar it generates, and I've had people ask me what kind of "exhaust system" I installed. This added visceral element, although quite mild in my opinion, has made driving the RRS S/C even more fun. Interestingly, I've found it to be a little quieter when the outside temps are above about 80 degrees F.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Raab ... did you determine that putting hte magnaflow towards the rear as opposed to Barmats putting his in place of #7 & #8 in the front, was the difference in how yours ended up sounding compared to his?

Barmats, I'm all over this if you're telling me this is the way forward...? I dont have a SC, i've got an HSE but its got to be all the same stuff, no?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are there any sound clips of what these systems sound like? I know mine will be a bit different since it is a non-sc HSE model but I am curious what the 5.0 sounds like with exhaust mods.

Has anyone tried to replace the muffler with an x-pipe before the resonator #7 to get the benefit of increased rumble without the backfire?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts