RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

New owner proud/hesitant owner of a 2008 Ranger Rover HSE with 250K. It's Rimini Red with excellent paint and a very nice interior. Engine sounded very, very good-actually surprised me.

I'm not a total newby to British car arena owning a TR-7 for 35 years and attending many British car events. However, this BMH/BMW/Ford/ZF/Tata beast does leave me a bit 'confuzzled' as my teenagers would say. That being said, I can turn a wrench somewhat competently and can read.

So the previous owner heard a 'clunk' and towed the car to the dealership where it was always maintained. They told her it needed a new transmission. She had it towed home and sold it to me very cheaply. No wrench light is on and it moves in reverse. I will trailer it home this weekend.

So excited about my toy, I am preparing and reading as much as possible! And I have a ton of questions. It seems as if the dealerships seem to want to keep info a little hush hush on these cars compared to the Chevy/Ford/etc crowd.

So here's my beginner questions I need help on:

1- How is the regular Range Rover HSE different than the Sport beside length? Are the engine and tranny swappable? Most parts?

2 - What should I immediately check with the transmission? Obviously I need to check fluid level and condition. Anything else? I realize the 'thunk' could be anything from u-joints to something under a tire... But with 250K on it, the engine and transmission are both ticking too...

3- Rebuilding/Used Options
  • If I need a transmission, shouldn't I just bite the bullet and yank the engine at the same time and freshen them both up?
  • Thoughts of getting a pair from a salvage yard? Thinking I could rebuild my existing hardware for less $, but more time? or close?
  • How hard is yanking this stuff out?
4- What's up with the transfer case? I haven't seen too much about it- at least yet. Would it need freshened up too?

5 - Mechatronics - Who/What is that? I've suffered through most of the Transformer movies and don't remember him at all :-? I talked to LR shop in Atlanta about a used transmission and he said something about having to match up Mechatronics and talked about broken computers in used parts. I read a bit and didn't really see what he meant. Could he be talking about ZF 6 speed from non-LR322 applications? He said it had to match to the vehicle. Model or VIN?? Repair manual didn't mention programming a new transmission...

6 - So... We mainly got this for my wife to put around town in and look respectful. Can it honestly fulfill it without monthly wrench time? My TR was a Triumphant failure in that regard, but from what I've read, these LR are much better.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Chad in Atlanta

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
1: completey different platforms, engine and tranny are the same. Most parts? no

2: at 250K miles fix the tranny first IF the engine is not showing signs of major wear. Maybe do a compression test, if they are even you may luck out.

3: totally up to you and your budget. You never know what you are going to get out of a salvage yard.

4: most likely doesn't need to be touched if it has been serviced. The usual failure in a transfer case is a stretched chain. It will give you lots of warning though. If your hear a repetitive banging moving forward then your chain will have stretched. They are fairly easy to replace.

5: Basically that is the valve body in the transmission. There are companies that rebuild them.

6: I am assuming you mean for your wife to putter around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all of the help!

Any recommended vendors/sources for parts ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m of zero help but I’d be interested I. Knowing if you find a salvage yard with a Range Rover. I’m in Birmingham and called probably 15 junkyards between here ATL and Chattanooga and came up dry at every one. For these things to be as unreliable as they are I sure as hell don’t know where they go when they die!

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
210 Posts
They get crushed and recycled.
thats about where im at with my P38. It overheated and did a top end gasket job and still with the issue, tried selling on Craigslist with no luck. Have it at 650.00 with no real interest. Would part it out but don’t really have room to do that. So looking at the option of sending her home to her maker.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
The first thing i would ask is what happens when you try to go forward does it try to go and seems like its stuck or does nothing happen like its slipping?

The clunk she heard might have been the transfer gears blowing. sometimes when the gears of the transfer case break you will only be able to go in reverse. I would pull the transfer case first and check the gears before working on the tranny.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m of zero help but I’d be interested I. Knowing if you find a salvage yard with a Range Rover. I’m in Birmingham and called probably 15 junkyards between here ATL and Chattanooga and came up dry at every one. For these things to be as unreliable as they are I sure as hell don’t know where they go when they die!
https://www.copart.com/lot/55785888?fbclid=IwAR2UZchGTGxgIdtaR7knh8_hyvMrsM56eTc1LR5fHcwT8J7bnZbkMZbZQgc

Copart can be a crapshoot- but the above truck was posted by a guy on FB. His wife was rearended and she drove it home. Insurance totaled it out but he kept up the maintenence for approx six years prior...
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I got it home last night. It moves without noise, but complains on LCD screen on the dash. I will pull codes and post them soon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
Hi, Arthur from Rwanda having the same issue. I've had my gearbox worked on 7 time, replaced the clutches and disks and all it does is reverse very well. Drive - just Ravs and ravs. No DTCs. Been online shopping for a working gearbox 3months. Let me know once you get a dealer. Looking for a new or reconditioned 5l40e gearbox for L322 2003yr diesel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts