RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my new EBC rotors, pads, and two rear calipers. One of my rear calipers was sticking and squealing like a little pig!! Decided to change out both rear calipers...fronts are still okay. All I gotta say...it was a pain in the behind to remove the rears...they were rusted and baked onto the rotor pan lol...I think I pissed off a few neighbors with all the banging I was making in the parking garage lol. Will let you guys know how they perform :)

Honestly, I think I got one of the best prices online for the set. Bought them from http://www.placeforbrakes.com

Front and Rear EBC sport rotors dimpled and slotted + Front 7000 Green Stuff Supreme Pads / Rear 6000 Green Stuff Pads

All for $430 shipped...that's with a promotional offer I received...was something like 16% off their lowest price.

Plus they have free shipping.








My 2008 Supercharged Westminster in the shop getting a full 2010 MY+ face lift ...getting it back this week :) On some 20" RR Sport wheels wrapped in 285/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Nice, but PLEASE do not ever work under the vehicle without jack stands! That's like Russian roulette... 8-0=

I have seen jacks break under load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have put about 100 miles on the new brakes and they are performing very well :) Much better than the stock p38 brakes! In case any of you are on the fence on getting these or trying out a new brand...I'd definitely recommend the EBC Sport brakes with green stuff pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spikemd said:
Nice, but PLEASE do not ever work under the vehicle without jack stands! That's like Russian roulette... 8-0=

I have seen jacks break under load.
spikemd...man I know it's a big risk...but it's all I have to work with at the moment...been stable the past 2-3 times I've changed the brakes/wheels. Plus, taking it to the dealer is out of the question haha. The other problem I have is with storage...I live in a apartment complex and don't have a place where to keep a heavy duty jack like they use at the tire shops...those things are massive! lol....appreciate you looking out for a fellow P38 owner hehe :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!

As I'm about to do the same work to mine,I'd love to know if you encountered any difficulties? Was bleeding the system difficult or did you just follow RAVE and advice offered on the main page?
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
mcanzio said:
spikemd...man I know it's a big risk...but it's all I have to work with at the moment...been stable the past 2-3 times I've changed the brakes/wheels. Plus, taking it to the dealer is out of the question haha. The other problem I have is with storage...I live in a apartment complex and don't have a place where to keep a heavy duty jack like they use at the tire shops...those things are massive! lol....appreciate you looking out for a fellow P38 owner hehe :)
It's not a big risk... it could the risk of your life. I understand well your situation since i lived in a apartment complex for 3 years...
My advice would be : source another range rover jack and use it as a safety jack in case primary fails on you.
Those jacks are very good and compact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
You need a pair of axle stands at least - rated at 5 to 6 tons each as a minimum.
It is all too easy for the car to roll off the jack. As I know only too well. :oops:

You also need to chock the wheels. The car can twist even with the handbrake on.
The handbrake works on the back of the gearbox and the diffs can allow the car to rotate on the jack.
Spend $50 -$100 on some decent stands. They don't take up much space.
You don't need a big commercial jack like tyre shops use. Get a 4x4 jack which has a higher lift.
If we don't hear another post from you again we will know what has happened.

Dave
:naughty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dave3d said:
You need a pair of axle stands at least - rated at 5 to 6 tons each as a minimum.
It is all too easy for the car to roll off the jack. As I know only too well. :oops:

You also need to chock the wheels. The car can twist even with the handbrake on.
The handbrake works on the back of the gearbox and the diffs can allow the car to rotate on the jack.
Spend $50 -$100 on some decent stands. They don't take up much space.
You don't need a big commercial jack like tyre shops use. Get a 4x4 jack which has a higher lift.
If we don't hear another post from you again we will know what has happened.

Dave
:naughty:

Fortunately, I'm still alive and well lol. I agree with you guys completely and will invest in that piece of equipment for sure. Just to clarify...I never work under the truck while it's up on that eenie meenie jack stand...always from the side...obviously the jack could go flying and hit me in the face lol...glad that hasn't happend. Also I always put one of the tires right under the area i'm working so it adds a little bit of protection if it falls. Either way I know it's not the safest of ways...but it's all I had at the moment. I feel loved...true P38 community! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
I'm glad the message got through. Also be aware the car can go sideways if the jack slips.

Anyway how do you find the EBC greenstuff pads?
I heard they don't start to bite until they are hot. I decided to stay with Mintex.

Dave
`8)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top