RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought nice 03 88k miles
the car coupople month ago had have the 2 valve cover replace new coils and new radiator, i inpect the car good
I was driving from oregon to home a distance of about 160miles when suddenly i note temp gauge rise right away I pull side of the road call twoning and leave it there middle golden desert oregon!
I got call for litlle sho , bad new
we run coupole test in car spark plugs were clean and not oil there but we note car is building pressure right away the thing is headgasket or crakc head???
i will pay tow to loca land rover dealer and dela with them or specialize bmw shop..
so bad luck if this commong issue head gasket how much can be cost they do all or just bad head how many housr labor to replace that wondering if I should sell the car like this for 5k dollres or just fix it right>>> thanks help experinces advice

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
152 Posts
Hard to understand your spelling and gramma bruz, but mite be worth checking you PCV valve (also called manifold cover)and hoses as its common for these to fail and increase crankcase pressure to a point where it can destroy your motor .

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That actually isn't bad luck, that's just standard issue with the BMW range rovers... If you haven't replaced every bit of the cooling system yet, you will in time... With that sort of mileage it's not a question of will it leave you stranded, it's when. When it started over heating was the coolant system topped off? Get any, "check coolant," messages? Also what srgailbot said, check your PVC hoses/ valve, although I'm not sure that would cause overheating, I had been driving on wrecked hoses and a screwed up valve for god knows how long and it didn't raise the running temp... If you replaced your valve cover gaskets because of leaking oil, it's probably because your PCV system is compromised to a point the positive pressure is pushing the oil out, so if you don't repair the system it's just going to start leaking again. My plugs and plug valleys were drench in oil before the PCV repair.

If your head gasket were gone there would be some evidence, running loopy, coolant/oil mix, burning of oil/coolant out of the exhaust, etc etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes there was cooland in system when i shot down car in the road was at same second temp when up, I cna hear bubling in coolnad inside pipes, the shop that work in car repalce the valve gasket and saprk and new radiator, found couple bad coils , car runs good i never see white smoke or nay thing, the shop replace the oil separator and hoses but not sure if the replace the intake rear plate, which is the pvc, valve ,,,,,,but the shop that first inspect the car this morning said the die system with soemthing noted car is building pressure right away in colling system and theres 2 options bad head gasket or crack head or block? wish i hope not be case!
been head gasket how long will shop hours to be remove and replace will be worth it to keep the car or sale it cheap?
wondering to get idea how much in dealer will be head gasket ??
will be necesary to start shopiping for use head in ebay , i saw alot but from bmw x5 and 7 series for 300 $ to 500$ but range rover is same head of x5 4.4 or difference in valve or other stuff or will be same stuff , should i wait until take engine appart?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If either a head or the block is jacked up it's going to be expensive if the dealer is doing the work... I'd imagine $2k in just parts for a head at the dealer never mind a new engine/bottom end plus the labor. Best bet is to find an independent land rover shop in your area so they can tell you exactly what the issue is vs speculation. It could be something simple. Even properly running the cooling system is under a ton of pressure, which is why all the weak ass cooling components fail on the reg. Maybe your t-stat is screwed up, or there is a blockage in the system somewhere. If they can't find where the actual damage is just take it somewhere else. I'd imagine if you had a jacked up block or shot head gasket it's be obvious to a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you have a RR or BMW independent shop in your area, they might beable to do it cheaper. One of the local indies here (Housotn) actually has a really good machine shop and can machine the heads. Who knows, may be there's one in your area.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before I went a head with any major rebuilds I would get a diagnostic done, common for the thermostat to fail which could cause these issues, If the car still runs good then doubt its a head or block i could be wrong

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SORRY SI JUST BEN NIGHTMARE, i PAY TOWNIG TRCUK TO BRING CAR FROM MOUNTAIN TO CITY AND FROM LAND ROVER DEALER THEY GIVE NUMBER TO LOCAL SHOP *CHEPER) 80.00$
I was afraid land rover deal;er just for inspection want $350 nothing electrical not even a engine light came on just over heat and i kill it at right time ,,, but the mountain shaop taht first ltook a look said bring it to someone better than us! the noted car was building pressuer in coooling system and they were thinking is head agsket or crak head ,,, the werid thing is sapark plugs were clean not water mixure, but the car was mixfiring , in couple coil when scann !!!
so not sure !!!!
i so worry star looking for complet long block on line $3000 man is alot!
even lr dealer adviser said is weird a head gasket tehy never seem one in this m62 , i coul be lucky one!:(

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Seriously Dude, please review your posts and make corrections BEFORE submitting.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Seriously Dude, please review your posts and make corrections BEFORE submitting.
This.
Not a lot any of us can do as it sounds like you don't have too much of an idea when it comes to motors etc.
A pressure test and sniffer test will determine if the head gasket went. If so, then the heads need to come off for a further inspection. Although, for $4k, I'd take it off yer hands.....
Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO IF IN FACT A HEAD GASKET ususally how much could be cost to that procudeure?
I n case of damege head can bmw x5 head be use in ebay there is tones of them for cheap $$ but really few of range rover 4.4?
In cas eof head gasket problem ususally both head are remove or just the one with leak?
in case of head issue will be good time to install new water pump, new thermosntat ane valley pan?
any other ideas

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Have yet to see a head that cannot be repaired/rebuilt myself.
When doing the heads (yes both), I would be doing the water pump etc at the same time. Valley gasket will come with the top end gasket set.
You can of course just do the one head, if that is indeed the problem. Just false economy IMHO. The coolant is already drained, and so on. Not to mention the fact that if one went by overheating etc, then the other needs inspected to say the least.
Seeing as I have no idea what shops charge in your area, cannot comment on prices.

Martin

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You're speculating too much, just get the car into a tech so you'll know for sure... no point in researching something that might not even be an issue!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
FWIW if you removed spark plugs and one or a few of them had clean electrodes,
then there is a good indication coolant has been burning in the combustion chamber.
The coolant flashes to steam and the steam cleans the combustion chambers.
you may also notice the tips of the plug might have bits of rust on them this is from water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i JUST WENT BY SHOP TODAY CAR IS AOUT SIDE CASUE IS CLOSE UNTIL TOMORROW WILL BE OPEN , FIRST REPORT FORM THE PERSON THAT SO THE CAR said that remove spark plugs and not water was found or oil, there were new sparks less than 2k miles in it maybe that is why, but the issue that noted when car start it building pressure in cooling system and they didn investigate furture!
I went by car remove the oil cap, and is fine not water or bubbles of nothing ,
remove cap from cooland and some vpor came out in tap I can not see oil or nothing unususal af matter fact cooling system was almos full just tank show 3/4 full ,, but i stop vehicle in same second start over heat!!
some people think bad burb system casue has new radaitor , but i doub it i drove 156mile before it when hot!

·
Registered
13 Posts
not sure what u are saying but the first thing would be to change termosntat and then the water pump the way you sound its like u may need to slow down have a cup of tea and start again.if u have gone to the shop talking about heads,gaskets and all that u maybe asking for a big bill,
sorry if i got it wrong

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so so happy!
I first had vehicle in regular shop this morning local land rover independent shop return my call, he said they work $70 rate they work in delaer for 15 years ,, so i cna towing company town car to the land rover specilailist,,, waiting for worst he just call
he said the presuraized the cooling system and car hold pressuer really really good not leaks, with taht he is more less sure ther sis not leakd head gasket he said he run car for while car dindover head on him and the presurzaed syetme again witgn car running and not presure was building!
then he said he think is thermostat cause one hose was hot other cool!
so I ask me to bring him my onw parts he reocmend water pump and thermostat and form taht see what going on!
I went ahed order craft water pump metalk impealer, and thermostat top hose and lower hose ~`8)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Can someone who speaks gibberish please translate?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think he was just excited to find that the problem is probably just the water pump and thermostat. He also found a shop that will install the parts he buys for $70h. And that this shop did a pressure test on the engine and there does not appear to be any leak.

(obviously, he's not from Idaho. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts