RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself as I've been lurking the forums for the past few months. I'm a proud owner of a 2006 RRS HSE in Bonatti Grey with 170K miles. The truck was actually purchased new by my dad in 2005 and I've loved it since new. He was generous enough to give me the truck as it hasn't had much use these past few years once he got a Tesla and he knows how much I love the thing. Below is a pic of it the first day I got it, with our 2016 LR4 in the background.

I have a few friends who are into offroading with the Jeeps and Toyotas. I never got into it as I've always been in to sports cars (Porsches) and motorcycles (Ducatis), and figured it would be fun to do a L320 build. But I had to see what the truck was capable of in stock form and see if I enjoyed offroading before sinking $$$ into the truck

I went to Hollister Hills OHV park in Northern California with a few friends and had a blast. The truck was bone stock on 6 year old all season Michelin and it did fantastic. Even on stock 19s with the Michelins it was able to handle the easy trails as well as some easier rock sections. After doing more research it turns out my truck has the factory rear e-diff! I'm sure that helped a lot. Some pics and videos below.

After my first experience with the L320 offroad I was hooked! I knew I needed to set a good foundation for the build so first things first I took care of a LOT of maintenance as the truck was sporadically used these past 3-4 years. In addition to changing the usual fluids, I had the front and rear differentials and the transfer case flushed. I also installed new Arnott air springs and struts and new air valve blocks front and rear, new sway bar bushings, new sway bar end links, and new upper control arms.

The truck wallowed a lot and made front end clunking noises prior to the work. After the replacement of the suspension components, the truck drove like a dream. No more funny noises and just handled as good as new.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After the maintenance was done, it was time to add some fun cosmetic mods as well as some underbody armor. On the aesthetic side, I swapped out the grey grill and side vents for a black grill and side vent along with clear side markers

As for the armor, it's unfortunately slim pickings. All the suppliers that have provided armor in the past seem to have went out of business or no longer offer anything for the L320. Fortunately, I was able to pick up an Asfir front skid plate and a Lucky8 gas tank skid plate. The folks at Asfir were awesome to deal with and quoted 6 weeks for the front skid plate, but I got it in 3 weeks. The front skid plate is very nicely made and bolted on without any issues.

I wish the same could be said for the Lucky8 gas tank skid plate. The Lucky8 gas tank skid plate I received was much longer than the stock gas tank skid plate and needed to be cut down to size to fit. I think I may have received a gas tank skid plate for a LR3/LR4, but given the pita it was to get the stock skid plate off I was not about to return the plate to Lucky8. I knew I could get it to work with some modifications.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I brought the issue up with Lucky8 and unfortunately nothing came of it. If anyone is looking to get a Lucky8 gas tank skid plate, please double check the length of your stock plate with the plate you receive to make sure it will fit.

While I was researching body armor, I was also of course researching what wheels I would purchase to replace the stock 19s. I wanted 18in wheels and the options are very limited unfortunately. From what I found, I could either get Compomotives, Terrafirma, or Evo Corsa, or 18in OEM LR3 wheels. None of them really appealed to me and I was getting ready to purchase the Compomotives, but I found Tuffant 18in steel wheels after browsing pics on Instagram.

I loved the look of the Tuffant steelies and the price was right! The only drawback was the wheels were backordered. I purchased the wheels in August and received them in November. I'm more than pleased with Tuffant's customer service and the quality of the wheels. Jake over at Tuffant USA kept me updated frequently on status which was nice.

The Tuffants are 18x8 et27 mounted with Nitto Ridge Grappler in 265/65r18.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm extremely happy with the Tuffant wheels and how it completely changed the look of the L320. The truck has so much more presence now and just looks proper. The bigger sidewalls also resulted in the truck riding so smooth now. It just eats up all the bumps. Surprisingly the tires are super quiet as well and I can't even hear them inside of the truck. Hopefully they stay that way.

I haven't experienced any rubbing at normal height or offroad height in any driving conditions. I was also able to fit the spare Tuffant wheel into the spare wheel well after deflating the tire down to 25 psi.

In anticipation for the wheels, I purchased a Gap IID tool to lift the truck a little bit. I raised the truck 30mm over the factory settings using the Gap IID tool.

Some pics below comparing stock to the Tuffant setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With snowboarding season upon us, I knew I needed a roof rack to mount my boards. I've never been a huge fan of the Safari style racks and preferred the slim low profile racks. I came upon Frontrunner racks and loved the modular system and aesthetics. Like most parts for the L320 it was back ordered unfortunately. After a month or so, I got the parts and did the install.

It was extremely straight forward and easy to do. Took about 5 hours total.

Front runner doesn't have a specific kit for the L320. The only thing that needed to be modified is the canopy tracks that mount to the roof. The canopy tracks are a universal item that I had to trim down 4-5 inches or so to get to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

With the new setup, I knew I needed to test it out. So off I went to Hollister again to see how the truck did. It's amazing how proper tires can impact the offroad capabilities of the L320. Combined with the terrain response system and e-dff, the L320 perfomed flawlessly without breaking a sweat. The L320 even took some hill climbs with much more ease than my buddies Rubicon which is fully decked out and on mud tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first real obstacle we tackled was a downhill rutted section leading to the famous tunnel.

From what my buddies told me I got on 2 wheels briefly and as you can see in the video below got on 3 wheels lol. The chassis is incredibly stiff.

Some pics of the tunnel and an overhead view of the ruts.

From the tunnel trail, we headed to the top of the hills for a scenic view of the area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We headed down the mountain to close our our day to play on some obstacles. Was really fun to test the clearance and go through some mud lol. Good to see the armor did its job as well as you can hear from the last video haha.

To say i'm impressed with the L320 is an understatement. I absolutely love the truck and can't wait to get more experience under my belt.

As for future plans, I want to add some rock sliders and transmission guard for more protection. I'm in talks with Wildbear 4x4 to build a set. Hopefully I can get that this winter in preparation for some fun in the spring.

Also, I've got a few things I need to fix on the truck. I recently found out that my driver side vents output very weak heat. From my research, it looks like my heater core is clogged. Going to try to flush the heater core in hopes that helps with the issue. If not, I'll be installing a new heater core. Will be installing a brass coolant fitting at the top of the engine as well to replace the brittle plastic piece.

Hope you've guys enjoyed my build so far and thank you for reading this long post!

-Carlo

Other than that,

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
824 Posts
Nice build - I have the same tyres as you have and they are great - fortunately I did not need to get the Aussie TuffAnt wheels as my car was standard with 18" - in fact I can put 17" on mine.

If you are keen on going offroad I would recommend you get the LLAMs height controller Llams PTY LTD – NSW, Australia ABN 75 144 697 325 so that you can make use of the full height range of the vehicle without a speed restriction for offroad height and where you were driving over those logs you could select the equivalent of Super Extended height and yet drive to and from your offroad area on the highway at 1" below onroad height to further improve handling.

Garry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice build - I have the same tyres as you have and they are great - fortunately I did not need to get the Aussie TuffAnt wheels as my car was standard with 18" - in fact I can put 17" on mine.

If you are keen on going offroad I would recommend you get the LLAMs height controller Llams PTY LTD – NSW, Australia ABN 75 144 697 325 so that you can make use of the full height range of the vehicle without a speed restriction for offroad height and where you were driving over those logs you could select the equivalent of Super Extended height and yet drive to and from your offroad area on the highway at 1" below onroad height to further improve handling.

Garry
Hi Garry,

Thank you! I’ll def check out the LLAMs controller. I have the Gap IID tool currently and have a higher off road setting but didn’t think it was needed when I scraped. Still learning the clearance ithe rig LOL.

luckily the gas tank slider did it’s job in protecting the tank.

cheers,
Carlo

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,174 Posts
Great write up of your build. Looks great. Check us out at norcalrovers.org. Just a few L320s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great improvements Carlo. I have the same one in black. 2006 RRS.
The oxidized grey plastic trim really needs to be updated and I like the black grille and side vents you got. Do you have a link for the source?
And did you replace the door handles or paint them?
I'm trying to decide on the right 17" wheels I like so I can swap out the 20"s and get some real offroad tires after lifting.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great improvements Carlo. I have the same one in black. 2006 RRS.
The oxidized grey plastic trim really needs to be updated and I like the black grille and side vents you got. Do you have a link for the source?
And did you replace the door handles or paint them?
I'm trying to decide on the right 17" wheels I like so I can swap out the 20"s and get some real offroad tires after lifting.
Thanks!
View attachment 290436

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the kind words. I actually picked up the black grill and side vents from ebay hahah. If you search on eBay there are tons of color and finish options for a reasonable price.

As for the door handles, our cars have one piece handles unlike the later 2010 plus cars which are two piece. Removing the handles on ours isn’t an easy task so I just bought covers from these gents in the UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. I actually picked up the black grill and side vents from ebay hahah. If you search on eBay there are tons of color and finish options for a reasonable price.

As for the door handles, our cars have one piece handles unlike the later 2010 plus cars which are two piece. Removing the handles on ours isn’t an easy task so I just bought covers from these gents in the UK

Great link. Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 Range Rover Sport SC (L320)
8 Posts
Nice!

Anyone know if the Tuffant 18in steel wheels fit for those supercharged L320 with the brembo brakes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I messaged Tuffant and they said the et27 tuffants will fit the 4 pot brembos by shaving the anti Vibration blocks. Tuffants will not fit the 6 pot brembos

1 - 19 of 19 Posts