RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a good method or a post bookmarked to unlatch the hood? Mines got stuck on the RF-Side. Read this post and a little unclear as to how best to unlatch it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23856&p=259636&hilit=bonnet+latch#p259636

I have a Windshield guy coming tomorrow and would like to have the problem sorted.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took a look through the front grill and I can get hold of the cable going to the right side latch. Can I pull on it to release the latch? I didn't want to try it in case I broke the anchor point to the cable.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
What are you calling Right Front? I would use the convention that the RF (or FR) is the side the battery is on as if sitting inside the vehicle. So LF (or FL) is the side the air box and EAS is on...

The hood/bonnet release latch inside the vehicle (on RHD cars anyway) can be partly disasembled to reveal the two cables and lugs that simply unhook from the latch. Remove the FR kick panel (1 screw?) to enable easier access to the latch.

When you have un-hooked the cables from the latch, you should be able to use a set of pliers to pull the cables until the hood/bonnet catches release.

Mine has been operating in this mode for about 6 months now. Disabled the "bonnet open" message by disconnecting the switch on the FR catch.

If the FR cable is broken at the bonnet catch end, you may need to resort to force to open the bonnet/hood, as described in that link in your first post.

If it is the FL bonnet catch that is stuck, sure give the cable a pull and see if it works. Worst case is that you break it and have to resort to the brute force method. Sounds like you may be up for new cables and catches anyway.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is the Right Front (Passenger side where the battery is on a Left Hand driven truck). I will try removing the kick panel tonight to see if I can open it from there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tried pushing down the hood/bonnet over the latch and having someone else pull the release yet?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a closer look today and the bottom cable seat that holds the RF Cable end on the handle was broken. I didn't try but pulling on the cable end should unhook the bonnet.

Thanks for your help..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts