RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
8 Posts
i just bought my 2008 range rover yesterday and i found out last night coming home from dinner that the headlights arent working. my high beams do come on so i was able to get home safely, but i am thinking since both lights arent working it might be a fuse? like i said i am brand new to range rovers and could use some guidance. i have a appointment tomorrow at the local dealership but would like to not use it if possible..

thanks,
bobby

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Its odd for both to be out as I believe the lights are fused left/right. And if a fuse is blown it usually indicates there a secondary problem with the ballast.

No other problems with the car that would indicate low battery voltage ie. needs new battery?

Or its possible either both HID bulbs are bad, or your ballasts are bad, or some combo. Either way if you have to replace ballasts and bulbs you are looking at a chunk of change, esp at the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the battery was dead before i test drove it... so it could be a battery thing.. is there any way i can check it myself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also there was no owners manuel either.. is there any availabe in pdf format i can download anyone know of?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
You can check your battery and alternator with a meter.

Did your headlights work before or did you not check them when you test drove it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunately i was a little excited and didn't test the headlights yesterday morning during the test drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all misspelling aside.. would a low battery cause just the headlights not to turn on?.. everything else is functional..

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
It usually causes other faults as well (dash warning lights, etc), but HID's are very sensitive to having the right voltage delivered to them. I asked b/c these vehicles are VERY sensistive to low battery voltage. And if your battery is on the fritz, you will encounter all sorts of weird issues that no one can figure out.

I think its unusual that both HID headlights are out together. What does the previous owner say??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It came from a off-lease mega store... and i am having trouble getting a hold of my salesman.. go figure.. on my lunch break i will run it by my buddy at tire kingdom and see if he can test the battery for me..

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
It seems that if the alternator is working properly, once the truck is started you everything is running off the alternator so the battery would not be involved. As goosey said, you also generally would have additional warning lights.

It is unusual for both blubs, ballast, etc. to be out, but theoritically not impossible. It's also possible you have two different problems (blub on the LH and ballast on the RH, or something). Likewise, if the bulb is out the LCM should report this as a fault.

Do all other light functions work (flashers [with the switch], rear lights, plate lights, etc.)? All the lighting is controlled by the LCM and I suppose it is possible that the LCM is the problem. However, again, the fault-reporting system should recognize this.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes, have them load test it. It may not be the issue, but its a good place to start...before you start replacing $$ bulbs and ballasts and other stuff.

And having a good battery will head off other problems down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all other lights were working.. i didn't try the hazard lights but all turn signals and rear lights worked as well as the high beam. let me check the warning signs again and see if there is something i missed

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
THe fact that your highbeams are working just fine eliminates alot of possible issues. Being able to drive home with highe beams you surely would have notices dimming or would have triggered error warnings if the battery and/or alternator were failing. Unless some odd obvious switch error has been missed it could be a failing multifunction stalk. I'd let the dealer mess with it, it's only been a day. If they find failed bulbs you'd have to purchase them anyway since bulbs aren't covered under warranty. Chances are the dealership will want to work with you this soon after it left the lot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bobby, you just bought this vehicle so taking it back to the dealer would make sense.

I am confused with your statement about high beams working. High beams consist of the xenons with shutters lifted and H7 halogens doing fill-in. I think your H7 hubs are working, and this is what you are getting with high beams on. Your xenons are probably not working, since low beams are handled by xenons only.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So.. brought it to the dealership.. they said that the left bulb was burnt out and the ignitor was bad.. also the right ignitor was loose.. total repair is about $540 and the wholesale lot agreed to pay $400 of it.. thanks for all the advise yesterday..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts