RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
i know how much i learned from the main page and this forum doing research so i figured i'd let everyone know how i've made out with general grabber at 2's.
i've had them on my p38 w/ stock 18's for about ten months now. they have been excellent. i got them b/c i wanted something long-wearing and agressive for when i off road but docile and reasonably quiet/smooth as i commute. they're ever-so-slightly larger in diameter than stock michelins on account of the tread. there aren't a helluva lot of options in our tire size so i eventually took a look at these.
i did research ad nauseum and decided to give them a chance. been nothing but happy with them and would recommend them without hesitation. they've got around 30k miles on them thus far and remain as quiet/smooth (for an at tire) as the day i bought them. if the tread is wearing i can't tell, it's that minimal. seeing as i spend 2 hours a day on the highway i'm impressed by that. haven't proven to consume more fuel either.
they're tremedous in snow and water and have proven very capable on the trail in those conditions too. i don't do anything near what alot of members here do off-road but they have digested rocks, logs, and mud/wet grass without flinching. they really bit in well. they are very slightly louder than highways but that's what you expect going into at's. it's not even noticible in the cabin and you only hear them if you've got the windows down and music off. good tire at a very respectable price. :thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
223 Posts
Thanks dutchfrompredator.

That´s the information I was "searching".... me too want a tire that I can go soft "off-road" but also be good in the street :thumb:

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my pleasure tomcat. i use them for everything from braving nj traffic to driving trails and woods and beaches with the wife and dog. even my wife will tell you they give absolute peace of mind in heavy/accumulated snow and rain when she's using the truck. they're also darn good for smoothing out ruts in your yard! :mrgreen: i always get second looks from other rover owners (mostly the grocery grabbing crowd) like: "you mean you can put those on a range?" yes folks you can, but you may not need them to pick the kids up at school and get your nails done...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with what has been said regarding GG AT2's. I've had them in 18" and now 16" and never had a problem with them, they're quiet on the motorway, grip well and so far (touch wood here) I've not had a single problem with them off road in all conditions.....oh yeah, the set I had on the 18" Comets lasted me 37k miles, can't be bad, I'm led to believe though that BFGoodrich AT's last even longer, pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lira,
they only lasted 37k miles on the 18's?! mine look like they'll go another 30 easily. i considered goodrichs when i was looking until it was brought to my attention general meticulously copied the goodrichs design and did it well at a slightly lower price. i like the goodrichs too and may give them a stab down the line. for now i'm having a blast on these. we had a couple ugly storms this week including a tornado; yes, in nj (always during rush hour) and there were cars crashed all over and disabled in the median. water on the highway was several inches deep inches in places and i merrily blew by everyone at 70 without a single hydroplane or abs kick in. the other major upshot is they throw an unholy amount of water and anyone who wants to tailgate you quickly learns their lesson as the tires literally hurl gallons of water into their face with each rotation. i'd get them again...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I maybe wasn't too clear on the mileage I got out of the 18" AT2's sorry, they were on the car when I bought it so I have no idea what they had done prior to that, just that I put 37,000 miles on that set ontop of whatever mileage they'd done previously.

Currently I'm running 16" rims with 255/60/16 AT2's (bought from Rich who was upgrading to Hurricanes), I've put about 15k on these approximately and they look just as they day I bought them.

You're right about the amount of water they chuck out too, hadn't really thought about it till I just read your post but I never see anyone on my tailgate on a wet motorway, maybe it's down to that .....an additional safety feature I hadn't thought of.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i was pretty sure i understood you wrong. i enjoyed the the fire hose effect yesterday as i drove home through the pouring rain...i love when some yahoo in a little wind-up toy is flying down the road in the pouring rain seconds away from killing himself, pulls up behind me and crowds me, and i see my rear tires blasting hurricane-quality torrents of water into his face as he meekly backs twenty car lenghts away to avoid it. i love doing it to my dad when he's in his '06 hse (with michelins) while convoying on trips. it would be nuts to see how much they threw if i didn't have mud flaps! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I've been on a tire research run for the past 2 weeks. I'm sick of reading about tires. :x

Anyway, I almost made my mind on getting General Grabber AT2's. I checked what other LR owners had to say in the tirerack reviews, and so far it's all positive. At first I was about to order a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, but it seems they don't last as long as the AT2s. So basically your post ended my quest, and for that I thank you Sir. Now I can waste my free time reading about some other useless minutia about our RRs.

BTW, I run 18" Huricanes, mostly on road (pot holes galore) and some dirt road here and there. I'm switching from Michelin Synchrones (a 80/20 tire). It's my first time on an ATR tire on the Rangie, so I was a little worried at first I'd loose comfort and handling, but every review I've seen about the At2s suggest the behave very well on road also. I wonder how will it behave with my HD coil conversion (almost extended height)...

N.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go for it Nacho. I have the Grabbers on my P38 and I have a 31x10.50 set I run on my Jeep sometimes too. These are really great all around performing tires, I have had absolutely no issues with them at all, and for the price they are unbeatable in my opinion. Searching (hard) for a fault, you could say they tend to load up a bit in the mud and not self clean too well in super sticky quag, but they are an AT, not an MT, so that's to be expected. They will also sandblast your trailer on a dirt road if you are towing and have no mudflaps. Again, to be expected. I will be replacing mine with another set(s), when they are worn out. I've been waiting....and waiting...and waiting......

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I too have the GG AT2 tyres 265.75x16. Very happy with them, but I do use a proper
snow tyre during the winter.
They performed faultlessly during last years summer holiday. 5500Km on everything from
british greenlanes, Andorran mountain roads, French motorways, pyrenee'en mountain tracks,
and all the other types of road we drove on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi nacho,

Me too was tented to try this tires, but about 5 months ago, I can not "find" this tire in Portugal with the price that they have.

So I will try a new tire: Hancook RF10, they are "new" in europe, but I found very positive reviews in USA forums.
Search and ask a quote for them ;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have only just fitted a set GG AT2s in the standard tyre size of 255/65x16. My decision was based largely on what I had read on this forum.
I didn't fit larger because wanted the spare tyre to fit in the wheel well - using a smaller size spare is not an option. Odd size tyres on an axle will knacker the diff and/or ABS. I also did not want to imobilise the car if the EAS failed and it went down on the bump stops. It could be miles from anywhere.
Initial impressions are favourable. Been running them for about a month and they are fine on the highway. A little bit noisier than Pirelli Scorpions I had on previously, particularly on concrete road surfaces. On tarmac (asphalt) and in the wet there is not much difference. Thought they may slide a bit on UK roads in the wet going into roundabouts etc but they are OK and give a confident feel.
Steering didn't seem as precise at first until I checked the tyre pressures. The tyre depot had put different pressures in each tyre, re adjusted to 28/38 psi F/R and steering now fine. MPG over first 1000 miles about the same.
Not tried any aggressive off roading yet - only a few dirt lanes and wet grassy fields. Grip is good and treads clean themselves.
Ride is a bit harsher, I think because the sidewalls are more robust . Would buy them again.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I've just ordered a set of AT2 from discounttires.com. Their shipped price was lower than all the major online merchants. The 4 tire set was 60 bucks cheaper than tirerack.

I'll let you know my impressions once they arrive to the DR (2 to 3 weeks).

N.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Surprising.
I tore a chunk out of one of my AT2s and they were fine. And by chunk of sidewall, I mean 1/4" deep by 2" long.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very surprising and I would guess quite out of the ordinary. Things happen offroad though. I've had my Grabbers in rock gardens, in the woods over branches and logs, up hillclimbs, in deep mud, and never had a puncture or sidewall failure. I beat on them mercilessly and so far so good. I suppose you never know. I very slightly clipped a curb one time at a gas station and it completely tore the sidewall out of a relatively new Goodyear MTR. Crap happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts