Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on out trip home from a week of camping we broke down. We’re had been at the coast for a week and loaded up this morning, hooked up our trailer and headed out. About 1/2 way home I heard the aux cooling fans kick on and checked the temp gauge and all ok. Hit the top of the hill and then down the other side and started smelling coolant, checked the gauge and it was on the rise. Managed to pull over in a pull out and sure as anything coolant everywhere. No cell service so had to hike about 2 miles back up the road to an inspection station to use the phone. Got AAA to send a truck for the car and trailer. Got it all home and started checking things out and found the upper heater hose interfered with the cooling fan and wore a hole in the hose. New hose ordered and should be back on the road this weekend.
042E6EB6-0ECB-417D-B4F1-EF4018C6462D.jpeg

Reactions: RR876

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
new part arrived this afternoon, got it installed in a few minutes and filled up the antifreeze. All running great now. New hose has about an inch of clearance where old one was maybe 1/8” or less. Now to wash it off to remove the antifreeze that went everywhere under the hood and car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took about 15 minutes to replace, I used a bit of dawn soap in my foam cannon and voted the engine bay and underside and let sit about 5 minutes then rinsed off. Will give her a good bath tonight when it’s a bit cooler out.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
88 Posts
Same thing happened to me. IMG_1414.jpeg IMG_1416.jpeg
Zip tied now w/ new part. Worth checking if you have original part. No fun riding in a flat bed.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
A roll of electrical tape would have saved you a trip on the back of a flatbed. I had that happen to an old C3 vette I had back in the day (back when it was only a couple of years old). Wrapped a pile of electrical tape around the blowout and refilled with water from the closest gas station and it got me home 80 miles so I could get a new hose. Anothe handy item to have in the tool bag in the back.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
How long ago was that hose installed? If awhile, its seems that maybe something in the fan drive is wearing allow the fan to move forward and hit the hose. I just seems that if this is an OEM hose and you have normal miles on it now, that something has changed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long ago was that hose installed? If awhile, its seems that maybe something in the fan drive is wearing allow the fan to move forward and hit the hose. I just seems that if this is an OEM hose and you have normal miles on it now, that something has changed.
It looked to be an oem hose, it was soft and flimsy feeling. New hose was pretty stiff and one installed had about an inch of clearance. Think it was due to go soon, just bad timing when it did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like the previous owner of my 07 had the same issue. Their solution was to cut out the part of the hose with the hole and insert a 90 degree hose connector. It's been like that for the 4 years I've owned my truck and probably years before so I guess it's alright. I think someone could just carry a little kit in their truck with a connector, a couple of small clamps, a razor blade, and some coolant/water, and be on the road again in 15 minutes or so. In fact, since I saw this years ago and realized what the previous owner had done, I have a kit with a number of connectors of different sizes and angles, an assortment of clamps, and some razor blades for any of the hoses that may spring a leak during a trip. I always carry some coolant/water on a trip also. I've never had a problem however. (knock on wood). :)
197977721_2312002245601387_3449834766630921037_n.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts