RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new it was going to happen but i didnt expect it to be this soon. :crybaby2:

Ive just brought a 1998 P38 111k LPG fitted £3k. Ive only had it less than a week but already love it.

I took it to my mechanic (who has a P38) for a quick once over.....and this is whats wrong with it.

It needs:

Brake Booster Unit
Full Exhaust
Radiator

and i need to rad weld it.

Anyone breaking a vehicle ?

Im going to replace the exhaust myself with a mate (or try to) but i have a feeling that the brake booster unit is a little out of my league? or is it.

Are there any how to guides around for this sort of thing?

cheers

frosty

·
Registered
276 Posts
What do you mean by "Brake Booster Unit"?

The modulator (metal block under the brake fluid reservoir, not that easy to replace),
the ABS accumulator (ball on top of the pump near the EAS box, easy to replace if you don't bleed as recommended by RAVE, many people seem to get away without bleeding)
or the ABS pump (also, not that easy, but should also be doable)?

Sigi

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic doesn't know crap about rovers to be honest. Take it to an experienced rover mechanic. BTW neglect is a rover owners worst enemy. If the previous owner neglected fluid changes, chances are you will have a few issues. If you flush all of the fluids and repair the damage caused by neglect, you will have a wonderful car. The first year on an older rover will test you, eventually you will trust it more than a brother.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Firstly welcome - you have found the best place for info, advice and a shoulder to cry on if needed to get you through your ownership :D

Just think of each problem as an opportunity to advance your knowledge of automotive repair techniques and improve your spanner wielding abilities.

As to your problems -

What are the symptoms you are getting with the brakes?

If replacing the rad - what is the rad weld for?

Exhausts -you have the choice of replacing with mild steel stock one (often available on fleabuy) or getting a stainless one.

ps - add your location to your profile - can help with advice you get.

pps - download a copy of RAVE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my mech says i have a leak in the heating matrix.... but i have just spotted a used one on ebay that is only 5 miles away.

fair point about the rad and rad weld. im going to make an attempt to replace that myself

im going to ack my mech if we will fit the full exhaust system im going to buy. probably safer in the long run but i fancied a bit of "spanner weilding" on this. Although as this is my main vehicle i dont want it out of action if i mess it up. how easy is it to do? what do i need to bear in mind when im going about the operation etc.

cheers one and all...... god i love forums !!!

frosty

·
Registered
517 Posts
frosty2008 said:
well my mech says i have a leak in the heating matrix.... but i have just spotted a used one on ebay that is only 5 miles away.
Is he positive it is the actual matrix as a common leak in this area is the O rings where the pipes enter the heater matrix. Leaks in to the driver's (RHD) footwell. Parts are pretty cheap, but a bit of a PIA to get to. Full instructions are in the stickies at top of the forum.

frosty2008 said:
im going to ack my mech if we will fit the full exhaust system im going to buy. probably safer in the long run but i fancied a bit of "spanner weilding" on this. Although as this is my main vehicle i dont want it out of action if i mess it up. how easy is it to do? what do i need to bear in mind when im going about the operation etc.

cheers one and all...... god i love forums !!!

frosty
Exhaust is pretty straight forward, but this will depend a little on if you are fitting a genuine new part, a used part that may have some rusted threads or a poorly fitting pattern part.
Depending which part of the country you are in Double S are in Devon and will supply and fit their stainless ones.

Powerflow and Longlife will also build and fit a custom stainless one for you.
In terms of what you will need - some squirty stuff to penetrate and help loosen rusty nuts, some exhaust jointing paste and socket or spanner. A friend to help support the exhaust and drink your beer is also good.

TBH as a RR owner you will either

a) be lucky and get one that never needs any work

b) learn to wield a spanner

c) have deep pockets and become very good friends with your mechanic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts