RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that, when everything works, I love this vehicle. I own a 2018 RRS HSE TD6.
But it seems that every day or so, something goes wrong. It reminds me of my first car, an Audi 5000, that eventually was returned to the owner due to the fact that there wasn't a day that something didn't happen... to the extent of losing my brakes as I left my house the one morning 8-0=, that was the icing on top of the cake. Hopefully that doesn't happen with my RRS!! :shock:

Yesterday's issues:
1- My top screen's tilt movement became stuck in the all the way back/closed position after getting out to get gas. It worked fine for the first 20min of driving, went out to get gas, jumped back in and couldn't get it to tilt again, using the auto feature or manual settings. It has since fixed itself after leaving the car locked for a few hours.

2- While using Waze in Apple CarPlay, my music coming from Spotify suddenly stopped playing. I tried everything, as much as I could while driving, hit pause/play on the screen, pause/play on the phone, nothing would work. All of sudden I got a Waze alert and all of sudden the music starting playing again.

I've dealt with quite a long list of issues so far with this vehicle.
I'll name a few here:
- Both front soft close doors were not working (piston/actuator issue) - Fixed.
- Both screens became non operational. All I could do is operate the media music screen. Nothing else was working and was blank on both screens. I couldn’t even change the temperature or turn on heated seats, rearview camera also wasn't working. After 3 trips everything came back to normal except camera operation, that took an extra trip to fix itself. - Fixed so far with new software.
- Bluetooth connection issue, phone would kick off - Fixed so far with new software.
- Back up camera was "not available" for a day - Fixed so far with new software.
- Key FOB would only work if held up to the windows - Fixed with new antenna.
- Touch sensors on the door handles work half the time to lock the vehicle - still ongoing, unlocking seems much better than locking.
- The ambient lighting inside the car doesn’t keep the color or brightness level I pick. It keeps changing back to default light and also brightness level.
- When reversing, the camera skips frames. It’s choppy and because of it, objects that are far enough away, all of sudden jump up to being real close when looking at the screen.
- Apple CarPlay is very buggy, sometimes is works, sometimes it doesn't - ongoing.
- Apple CarPlay not available when using Remote Start function on the app. ACP is unavailable when starting the car remotely. Comes back to life once car has been stopped and locked for a little while and started again using the push button - ongoing.
- Apple CarPlay - "Connect approved device to USB port" message shows up even though iPhone it is connected to system through USB. Tried different cables including genuine apple cable. - System fixed itself again once vehicle was stopped and locked for a while - ongoing.

I'll keep adding to this thread as every two days, something will come up based on my current track record.

As anyone else had this much issue with their vehicle? Is this normal? I'm new to the brand and would love to hear from others and their experience. Maybe it's just my specific vehicle? I hope so for everyone else out there.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
70 Posts
What version of software are you running (on the RRS Incontrol and your iPhone)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What version of software are you running (on the RRS Incontrol and your iPhone)?
iPhone: 12.1
RRS InControl Pro Duo Software: S18C_18.37.1-222737

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Since you are under warranty why are you not pushing to have the dealer fix these items? First move if this has not been to the dealer is to give them a chance. If they claim they can not fix this many issue in a decent time period, call LRNA CS and file a formal complaint and get a case number

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you are under warranty why are you not pushing to have the dealer fix these items? First move if this has not been to the dealer is to give them a chance. If they claim they can not fix this many issue in a decent time period, call LRNA CS and file a formal complaint and get a case number
Correct, I have been to the dealership 3 times already in 2 months of ownership. These last software issues, due to the software upgrade to fix all my other software issues, caused new issues. They can’t do anything until LR realeases yet another patch.

Based on the other threads, I’m also not the only one with these Apple CarPlay issues.
The Ambient Light issue hasn't been resolved and they don't know why it's doing that. This is also something others are experiencing based on other threads on this forum.

As listed, most of the mechanical issues have been resolved and fixed by the dealer except for the key fob not recognized once in a while.
I'm not going to the dealership every week either and drive 45min one way to drop it off, I just don't have time for that. I expect the vehicle to work when I leave it at the dealership for two days and get it back.
But I will bring up everything that's new when I go in a couple of weeks when hopefully they have a fix for the software issues and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
70 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your issues and hopefully the bulk of them are resolved.

Some of what you are experiencing with Apple Carplay is not particular to LR. Spotify and Waze struggle in 2 other cars I have with CP. I really like Waze but no longer use it in CP - rather through Bluetooth. Google Maps seems much more stable - although I've seen it freak out too (in my RRS and my kid's Honda). The cable connection issues happen almost every time in my kid's Honda. I have to connect/reconnect multiple times. Honestly I think CP is not as useful as I thought it would be and I find I use it less and less. Flipping between the car functions and CP is not smooth with any manufacturer. The best feature is the Siri integration.

I agree on the Ambient Lighting - it's an annoyance and should be addressed. I find the lighting a challenge at night as it reflects back into the car through the front windows. I ended up stepping down the darkness of my tint, but it didn't help much, so I'd like it fixed for safety reasons.

As I was waiting for my RRS, I was convinced by reading this forum that the Incontrol system would be constantly failing and have all kinds of glitches. The new version (the one you're on too) is far more stable than before, so that gives me hope that someone can code at LR.

I also have the locking/unlocking responsiveness issue - it always works - but sometimes I have to press the handle a couple of times. My Audi also had some issues with this and I got used to using the key fob.

Hopefully this over the air update system works soon because going to the dealer for point releases to fine tune the software is silly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey abokor, thanks for the reply and that makes a lot of sense about Waze and Spotify having issues playing at the same time and that coming from the phone and not the LR infotainment. Essentially the Apple CarPlay display on the LR is a mirror image of what is happening on the phone.
I've just never experienced any of these issues on my wife's 2018 BMW and she has APC through bluetooth.
The new version of the InControl system is much nicer, I agree. Waaaay less buggy and much faster response (minus ambient lighting settings)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am not trying to downplay your issues, I have been in the same position as you with other vehicles, and I just wanted out. But before you give up you should put this all into perspective. Yes the car has software issues, and I wouldn't expect them to be resolved "quickly". But next time you are out for a drive, pay attention to the other details and luxuries of the car. Compare the ride and feel to other cars you own or have owned, and just make sure moving on is the right move. I am not saying this car is the best out there in any way, but sometimes we feel the grass is always greener on the other side.

My last two cars from other manufactures had a bunch of software issues as well, which made me more forgiving with this car. What I also realized though is that there is much more to this brand than the software, as much as I want it all to work 100% of the time, I personally wouldn't give up on the feel, ride, and form factor of this car because of these software bugs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with this. I bailed on a 2018 ATB because of most of the issues you list above. Once it was gone and my frustration subsided I realized I should have just waited it out and got the items fixed. Now I am in a 2018 Dynamic, paying more, and wishing I had just been more patient. I missed the experience of a Rover. Not saying my situation is like yours... but don't let hindsight eat at you like it does me for not just being more patient. Likely if they replace the main infotainment module this will all get a ton better. It did for me and now there isn't a day I don't get into my car and love it. But I miss that ATB and the cheaper car payments. :oops: It was a valuable lesson in patience for me... but if you don't mind bailing on the brand you can surely move on! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear what you are both saying but I guess my expectations of a $105,000 are high.
I have driven plenty of vehicles (mostly German) and things just seem to work in the interior. Buttons have a positive feel and when I press something, it just works. My wife has a BMW, and I look forward to driving her car some days because I know that when I step in it, everything will work. No glitchy buttons that you have to tap a few times, plus all of the stuff I have been discussing in my original post...etc.
Every brand has their own set of problems, I get that, but when you can't even get into your own car because the key fob isn't responding, or you are on a road trip with your buddies for 3 hours, and they all look forward to getting a ride in the RR and the infotainment system just doesn't work and craps out, it just doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy about owning it, regardless of ride comfort, mechanics...etc.

As a side note, my last vehicle was a VW Touareg Execline with the R-Line package... believe it or not, it felt very comparable in terms of the the way it drove and very comparable in terms of seat comfort (I would say the Touareg seats were actually even better), road feel, power...etc. And things just worked and that was a $75k car. It was even better on snow than the RR, based on my first drive in snow the other day.

I guess all of these little issues makes me think the opposite of what you guys are saying I should feel and making me think that I had it pretty good with my Touareg, it's making me look back and making me feel that maybe it wasn't worth the upgrade to the higher price tag. Sure I like the exterior of the RR much better, but is that worth all the extra $$$? That's all. I do like it a lot when everything works (as mentioned before). But when it is a constant issue after issue every other day, it just wears you down.

I'm not giving up on it yet, I'm a patient guy. The dealership I am working with is also doing a great job at working with me and really helping with the situation which is a huge bonus. Kudos to them for recognizing the issues and doing what they can to fix it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've experienced quite a few of the same issues, including ambient lighting resetting, bluetooth instability and the backup camera skipping. My dealer ended up replacing my backup camera which has helped a lot. Now and then it's a little choppy, but after a few seconds it generally corrects itself.

One tip is to lock the vehicle when pumping gas. I've found that if you shut the car off and pump without locking the doors, the computer doesn't fully shutdown which can sometimes make it more prone to acting up once you start the car up. The same goes for using keyless entry and starting it up within a few seconds of unlocking at the handle. When valets just jump in the car and start it up the infotainment has been more prone to glitches. I always unlock from the fob as I'm walking toward the car and everything works fine since the computer gets a few extra seconds to boot up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips mlb356!! But again, I don't think we should even be having this conversation with this level of vehicle.... But I digress.

For the backup camera, I found a setting that makes it better. On the new software, you can set the camera to be a split screen with the 360 view on the right side of the rear bumper view. Essentially reducing the size the video that needs to be projected when in full screen. I assumed that it just couldn't render the high resolution of the full screen and it does seem to help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've determined that ICTP and/or CarPlay HATES the following:

* Two iPhones plugging in around the same time (i.e. before one fully connects)
* Plugging in while the system is "booting" (i.e. even if the screen is on, it still needs to *warm up*)
* Leaving an iPhone plugged in and locking/parking the car (doesn't want to come back until the next power cycle after removing the iPhone)

None of these are resolved just by "checking the cable" or disconnecting/reconnecting as the screen prompt claims. If it gets stuck, you are forced to do a power cycle, and that means locking and leaving because it won't fully power down until around 30 seconds after locking.

LR needs to seriously step up their error checking/handling game and also provide us a mechanism to soft-reboot if they cannot handle all the cases. I'm a software engineer that deals with a distributed system that must remain up at all times; we don't get the luxury of just hard-rebooting and resetting anytime something fails, we must handle exceptions and gracefully recover without impacting users.

The backup camera is also still an issue for me, but I have not been back yet to the dealer after learning other folks had it resolved (or at least somewhat). I'm also still quite frustrated with the transmission behavior when shifting down to 2nd. There is an audible clunk at times, and the dealer claimed they couldn't reproduce while simultaneously saying it was normal. I hate the fact that I can't trust it will re-engage smoothly at low speeds after decelerating (that is, once it leaves 2nd it does not seem to like downshifting and re-accelerating unless at a complete stop).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone, I got software 18D installed yesterday and it looks like they made some updates. Even the graphics are new!!

Time will tell if it will fix some of our issues.
IMG_3748.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts