Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 1997 4.6HSE (US version) suddenly did not want to cranks yesterday afternoon. This happened when i tried to restart the car just 10 mins after I had parked and shut it off. No sign at all that something was geting weak or what. I've searched the forum for possible solutions but none of the quick checks have worked so far. In the meantime, I have a question that has not been asked before. Is it safe to force start the car? I need to get it running ASAP as I need to move the car without having it towed. I tried applying direct voltage to the solenoid/starter and it engaged and the engine cranked. I figure if I turn on the ignition to position II and apply the direct voltage to the solenoid/starter to force start the car, I could get it to run temporarily? Will I be damaging anything if I do this?

Thanks,
Philp

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
772 Posts
Any messages ? Sounds like immobiliser is on, as far as I'm aware, forcing it crank will not start it, you can tow if needed by putting fuse under seat, top right I think, will put the transfer box in neutral, it could be as easy as your in an area with a lot of aerial interference, this will stop the immobiliser being recognised, towing it 100 yards down the road , and try lock, unlock, might cure it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No messages and I do get the Service Light when ignition is in position II

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If the issue is in the starter circuit, then, yes you could turn on the ignition and jump the starter motor as you have.
It will not hurt anything to try, but as previously stated, if it is immobilised in any way, it will not run.
If it is a heat related issue, it could be a bad relay in the starter circuit or a bad main battery lead connection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, my bad. Check Engine is not lighting up on Key Position II. So this would seem like a BECM ECM synch issue. Asked a friend to try to re synch with his Faultmate but we could not connect to the ECU. We can coonect to other modules - BECM, etc but dails to connect to ECU? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Ok, my bad. Check Engine is not lighting up on Key Position II. So this would seem like a BECM ECM synch issue. Asked a friend to try to re synch with his Faultmate but we could not connect to the ECU. We can coonect to other modules - BECM, etc but dails to connect to ECU? Any thoughts?
Isn't the Faultmate VIN locked?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts