RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody:

I had a few posts on here about 6 or 7 months ago pertaining to my rig, and then life got a bit busy and I turned into a lurker and didn't make time to contribute.

My bad =)

Anyway, I had a 99 RR that I ended up putting a new (to me) transfer case and gearbox in. Since then I have put on about 6K or 7K and have been mostly happy with it. There is still a few issues that I am working on solving before I can feel totally confident about taking her any where I like.

A brief bio on my P38 RR:

1999 P38 RR 4.6HSE in the Java Black variety.
Bought it with under 98K for mileage.

I bought this project shortly after I got back from my deployment because I thought I would have some time on my hands (silly me) and because I wanted a Land Rover. I almost went to the Discovery route, but after seeing that they barely got any better MPG and that the RR had so much more to offer as a complete package, I was on the prowl for a RR.

I shortly found one listed for $6K nearby my location, went and had a look at it. Turns out it was in immaculate condition, but the catch was that it had a transfer case out and the owner had it sitting in his garage for the past two years because he couldn't afford to have the dealership put one in and he didn't want to tackle the job himself.

I liked the condition of the truck, but I'm very leery of anything that sits for quite some time, so I offered him $4K with my apologies and implied that I was a cheap *******. He accepted and I complimented myself on my wits in luxury auto buying.

And I got it home, purchase a low mileage transfer case and installed it, fired the truck up and then nothing happened.

To make the story short, I ended up replacing the gearbox and spent the last 6 months putting about 6 or 7K on the Beastie to work out some of the kinks and bugs that i knew were going to present themselves.

I know that some of theses have probably been common issues, but some may not and I'm hoping that by the time I get this done that this thread will be useful to someone else as well.

Kinks that I have to work out:
(Not Kinky either)

EAS takes quite awhile before filling the bags up. Also it seems to ignore the dash control for the most part.
SES light is on.
ABS does not work-ABS light is on of course.
Accumulator seems to run way too often.
Shimmy on the front suspension at about 50 MPH till 55 MPH
Engine seems to have a flat spot right about 3K to 4K RPM.
Drivers mirror doesn't always flip back up after reverse.

I think that's about it for now, I imagine a few of the problems like the EAS have to do with a leak somewhere.

Even though that might be a list of problems that make some people freak out and run to their local Honda dealership, I know exactly what type of machine I now have. I may not know much ABOUT it but I do appreciate what I do know about it. I'm a big fan of over engineering and have in my brief relationship have come to realize this machine is more like an expensive trophy wife with a wild side. You may feel like you are going broke spending time with her, but it still feels like it is worth every cent. Plus you know better then to ask her to go Dutch on the bill!

Anyways, if it's something that has been covered before, I will post a link to that thread in this section. Otherwise thanks in advance for whatever advice or help you feel compelled to offer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Im sure by now you realise that the P38 was designed around a woman....

Curves in the wrong places
Loves to go blank when it wants to
Slow response to orders (Its a brain thing)
Vibrates when its annoyed

I think you get the picture

·
Registered
226 Posts
eas probably has a leak, fill a spray bottle with soapy water to trace, start with the air bags themselves, sitting for two years probably accelerated wear cracking

ses, get a scanner and read the codes

for the abs you'll a rover scanner to pull the the fault otherwise, good luck

the accumulator does not run, the abs pump runs and fills the accumulator, every 3-4 brakes drepressions is acceptable

front end could be many things, but 50mph sounds like classic wheel blance, if not i'd check the front discs, then search this website for "death wobble", ball joints, steeering rods, bushings and shocks have all been blamed for the front shakes

engine flat spot???? no idea

look up in your owners manual how to turn the mirror reverse dip off, easier then trying to fix

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
viperover said:
Im sure by now you realise that the P38 was designed around a woman....

Curves in the wrong places
Loves to go blank when it wants to
Slow response to orders (Its a brain thing)
Vibrates when its annoyed

I think you get the picture

Oh yeah, I totally got that picture quite awhile ago =)

Don't even ask me about the time I was looking from the front and asked if she was sagging a little on the left side :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts