RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I brought my 03 hse RR with 109k miles. The check engine light came on and these are they codes came up. the car has no power at acceleration. once its at 70 to 80 mph If I try to step on the gas harder
the RMPS race up but the truck goes absolutely no where and the engine sound like it bout to give up. Even when I put the transmission into manual shifting the rmps go up the engine makes a funny noise.
P0159: 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 2) range1.jpg

P0171: System too Lean (Bank 1)

P1172: Code requires manual lookup

P1300: Code requires manual lookup.

P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

P0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected

P0308: Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

P0443: Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

please help me so i can enjoy my 2010 autobiography facelift
can anybody help me troubleshoot and solve the issue please and thank you

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
Wow,I wouldnt drive that thing until you get it sorted out.You probably have leaking valve cover gaskets for starters thus fouling out the spark plugs and shorting out your coils on plugs causing all your cylinder misfires. PCV and related hoses are probably original and need replacing. I would start there and throw in a new battery and see what happens. Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
432 Posts
As you have the BMW M62 motor (and I have a '98 7 series with the same motor), you are at the right mileage to have the valve cover gaskets go bad, as well as the intake manifold seals harden up and allow air to bypass the MAF, thus giving the lean condition. Both of these are more-than-well known faults of the M62 motor and every owner has either personally dealt with these repairs, or paid a shop to do them. If you DIY, it's also worth while to replace the valley pan, as the gasket in those ALWAYS fail.

I recommend searching bimmerboard.com. All of these issues have been addressed, and have very well explained and illustrated procedures to address them if you want to DIY, or at least be able to speak with some knowledge to a shop.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My feeling is that is too many faults to be the gaskets.

My thought is a fuel pump gone weak or bad gas. I would favor the bad gas thought the most!

Did you happen to add gas in the last 20 miles before it started running crappy?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Disconnect the driver's side, upstream O2 sensor connector. Start it, let it run for a minute. Repeat. Then take it for a short drive and see if it is the same.

You have misfires on all of bank 2. Main commonality with them all is the exhaust(O2s and cat) There are several other things it could easily be, but if that sensor is reading way off, it will drastically be effecting fuel delivery to that bank.

That would have to be a pretty big leak for it to kill all the cylinders, especially all at once. Not to in the least say that they aren't, and that that wouldn't contribute to this issue, but it is usually much more progressive.

I wouldn't focus on the rest of the codes yet, as they should not be causing this major of an issue at all. Some will go away when the misfires are fixed, but others will be a separate repair.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,004 Posts
pull the covers on the cam covers and see if the plug wells are full of oil, do this before you do anymore driving

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats a BMW M62 engine. Start with the simple things, like your air filter move on to the valve cover gaskets, if there are signs of leakage then the oil is fouling up your spark plugs, you can even go deeper and check your intake manifold. And do a compression test there are lots of write ups with pictures on Bimmerboard and e38.org on this engine and its little quirks.

In addition to my 03 RR HSE i also have an 01 e38 which is on its second engine. The first engine died when it started to show symptoms similar to yours. Loss of power misfires, constantly had oil in the intake manifold, felt as if the car was drowning and final straw was burning oil and white smoke before i decided to replace the engine.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
I would prob. do what Roverguy7 suggested!! I replaced all 4 O2 sensors and started to throw all kinds of ignition related issues. Dave suggested I replace the upstream sensor. Low and behold!!!all the codes never came back!!! I had a bad upstream "New" sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow,I wouldnt drive that thing until you get it sorted out.You probably have leaking valve cover gaskets for starters thus fouling out the spark plugs and shorting out your coils on plugs causing all your cylinder misfires. PCV and related hoses are probably original and need replacing. I would start there and throw in a new battery and see what happens. Good luck. Jim
I agree with this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts