RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Tailgate and rear wings are steel, the rest is ally though. Treat the same as if it was steel, rub down, seal, prime, paint.

R

·
0 Posts
sure the outer skin of lower tailgate is steel?? I see them bubble with the typical whit corroding more often

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I was asking the question because the lower tailgate has the white stuff bubbling on it and the front LHS Wing shows the paint has flecked off (saw it after a car wash) with the white corrosion under it. Is there an aluminium corrosion inhibitor? Is the rest of the paint on the front wings going to fleck off.

I know Gilbert is right with the just sand it and paint it but once I start messing with the paint, I'm not going to be happy with one little spot fixed..

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
sure the outer skin of lower tailgate is steel??
You're quite correct Roger, the inner shell is steel but the outer skin is ally. Not sure why I said it wasn't really.......

and a magnet isn't a definite as the outer panels are actually an aluminium alloy that has a steel content so a magnet will still stick. Not very well but it does. We used to put magnetic door signs on a Discovery at work.

R

·
0 Posts
Disco2 gilbert? believe they have steel doorskin.... (those doors don't rot open at the edges like the D1's do sometimes)

to complete larry's list... the bonnet is alloy as well

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I used to have a classic that was corroding away faster than I could fix it.
You need to get all the corrosion out before painting. I find the best way for aluminium is to get down to bare metal with fine emery paper. Make sure you get all the white oxide off because it creeps along under the paint, then use an etch primer right away. Marine shops sell it if you can't find it. It is used for outboard motors. Then finish with normal primer and gloss.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Disco2 gilbert? believe they have steel doorskin....
No, it was a Disco 1 and the flexible magnetic door signs would definitely stick to the doors. However, out of curiosity I tried a magnet on the door of my P38 today and it definitely does not stick. I thought the bonnet was steel though which is why you get standard type rust on the leading edge and not the creeping white stuff. Apparently up until around 1980 Land Rover used an alloy called Birmabright which was aluminium with added magnesium and manganese (which may or may not be magnetic) although that still doesn't explain why magnetic door signs would stick to the doors on a 1993 Discovery. Maybe they experimented with different alloys over the years?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is there an aluminium corrosion inhibitor?..
Hi. If you can get your hand on a stuff called alodine. Its a gold/ yellow kind of fluid when its mixed ready for use.( mostly sold as powder to be mixed with water ). Anyway you treat the bare aluminium With this solution for about 3 minutes and rinse with alot of clear water afterwards. This treatment ( used mostly in aviation )will for sure give you much better corrosion protection on the aluminium parts. Final surface treatment with aluminium primer an Paint on top. Best regards Brage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts