RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There's two different sensors for GEMS, up to 97 (VA suffix VIN) and 98 model (WA suffix VIN), ERR6119 and Thor is different again. I wouldn't buy a cheap CPS knowing that it will stop the car dead. I replaced the original ERR6119 in my 98 at 287,000 miles with a new Lucas one but keep the original in the boot just in case......

·
Registered
33 Posts
True. Once you have your VIN, be sure to find the right part number. THEN, go to lrdirect.com and confirm they state the part is compatible with your VIN range. You'll get a list of qualities, from the cheapest (allmakes, britparts, ...) which I'll not consider for this type of part, to better ones (Bosch, Lucas, ...) which are the same or better than OEM.
99% of the time, I find it is cheaper to order directly from the UK even with the taxes and shipping cost, and it takes roughly the same time to be delivered. For a "not too expensive" item like this one, the difference is not so meaningful. When I ordered my lockers, the price gap was $500 for the pair ... I didn't hesitate. The only benefit to order a part from the US is it will be easier to send it back if the wrong item is ordered.
I know this post will not please some members. It's ok :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind that if you are in Europe and order stuff from the UK, there's 20% tax to pay (VAT) on top of the price. If you are outside Europe, then you don't have to pay that and it also seems that US Customs are helping you too. I've sent a couple of things to the US from UK recently and now there is no US import duty to pay on anything with a value of less than $500.

Considering the rip off prices charged for some parts by suppliers over there, buying direct from the UK is going to be far cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I changed the CPS sensor and still no go. I have fuel, as the plugs are all wet. I have spark because it is spudering and trying to start.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Something hit it. If that's the one you took out, that's why it stopped. If replacing it hasn't got it running again, the new one will look the same by now. Either something has worked loose and damaged the reluctor ring or the ring has come loose. You need to very carefully examine the ring of tags that should sit either side of the CPS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, I inspected the reluctor ring last night and there is a chunk missing. I lost 2 teeth on each side, 4 total. Another one is knocked off a few inches from that one. Im going to try to make a new peice and weld it in. Horrible design.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Don't forget that there should be a gap, that's where it gets it's information from. You also need to find out what actually knocked the teeth off, they don't just fall off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
10 Participants
AureliaZ3
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing