Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 RRC LWB's 1st owner converted to coils/shocks, but it's too tall - ideas?

Hi everyone,

I like everything about my RRC except that it's too high for me - a 2" lift, but it looks taller than that. I am trying to find 1) softer shocks that are also 2)"stock standard" height. So here's my question:

I know I can get softer coils/shocks, but is it possible to get an EAS conversion kit that does not raise the truck? Even the Old Man EMU/ARB soft/medium kit raises it up 40mm (~1.6").

I appreciate anyone providing info on a source!

Best wishes!

Bob

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Re: My '95 RRC LWB's 1st owner converted to coils/shocks, but it's too tall - ideas?

You can do a standard coil conversion or even go back to EAS. Changing shocks will do nothing for height.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Re: My '95 RRC LWB's 1st owner converted to coils/shocks, but it's too tall - ideas?

Bob - Given that you don't really plan to take it offroad, I'd encourage you to consider going back to EAS, but perhaps upgrade the OEM boots with Arnott or AirRide. I think if it's too high now, you'll really appreciate the different levels EAS will give you, e.g., entry, highway, standard, high (only works at low speed) & an extended 5th level, which is not manually accessible as I recall, but is used by the system when offroad and extra articulation is required. John Robison has a great write-up explaining EAS. I've recently converted my '95 to coils, but I will go back to EAS after I've had some fun with her. Since KBB values are so low, I know longer have any qualms about hitting the trails, though I don't want to beat her up too badly as to create more work resto work too soon.

Forgot to mention, you'll really appreciate the ride quality of EAS. There is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks RRTH and pc - I've actually priced getting an EAS system installed and the cost is prohibitively too high, although I know it would give me what I'm looking for.

Mr. ToadHall, you mentioned something that peaked my interest - are you stating that I can get the OEM standard coils back and use the softer ARB shocks? If that is so, I may try that.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts

...Mr. ToadHall, you mentioned something that peaked my interest - are you stating that I can get the OEM standard coils back and use the softer ARB shocks? If that is so, I may try that...
I think he's referring to the coil spring rate, as the standard for '95s was EAS, no coils available for NAS RRC's from the factory.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Not at all. I am referring to using standard Classic coils as fitted to earlier rigs. Sadly the information that EAS install is "cost prohibitive" is almost always false. Shops generally quite some ridiculous price because they simply don't want to do the job. In turn they often just grab a set of coils of a junker and still overcharge for the castration. I went round with a few shops in the area with my LWB with prices scaling from $1400 to $3200 just for the front. I even had one shop tell me that EAS parts were no longer available... which I just smiled and handed him the parts listings I had printed out walked away. I replaced the front bags myself in an afternoon for under $400.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Thanks RRTH and pc - I've actually priced getting an EAS system installed and the cost is prohibitively too high, although I know it would give me what I'm looking for.
Unless the previous owner tore out the valve block and tank, restoring the EAS should cost around $500 to $1000, New coil springs and shocks will set you back about the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks all for your replies - the original owner had a dealer in SoCal (West Hollywood I think...) do the work and they took everything out - nothing left at all. I was shocked not to be able to find at least some of the tubing or electrical wiring.

Going back to RRToadHall's last response, I will have the guy at Auto-Europa look to see what year of RRC has coils I can use, along with the correct sized shocks.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts