RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So listen to my day....all is well...sun is shining...and I begin to get my check engine light illuminated upon my dashboard. Ok...not blinking...its Sunday.....will just bring it in to the dealer tomorrow (Monday) as it is probably just a sensor error. Ok....so now, a little later in the day the car starts to semi stall at full stop, sounding as if the engine is sputtering....ok...so I'm driving (figure since the AC is on juts is what it is) and not I'm starting to get hiccups hen accelerating and decelarting....losing a bit of power...a little lurching here and there (especially in sport mode). So now I know the car is in trouble...so I decide to get home asap.....nothin in the manual telling me that the situation is dire...on 87 before the Tappan Zee bridge (NY) and I'm accelerating trying to merge into traffic and BOOOOM. I hear a bang, dashboard screen blinks gearbox fault..transmission fault.....rpm's go to zero. I'm still moving though..so get to the embankment and see plumes oof smoke coming from the back of my exhaust and and from under my hood. Get out of my car (think its going to catch on fire) and call the popo......ugh.

So I'm waiting for the cops and the flatbed...get back into the car and see low coolant warning on the dash now (whatever happened blew out all the coolant b/c it was all over the road) As I'm trying too put the car in Neutral for the flatbed I keep seeing all these error messages...gearbox...transmission...general program. Couldn't put the car in Neutral...car wouldn't start..completely dead (had to use the shift lock release)....well

Called landrover assistance (through the app) and they arranged to have it delivered to my dealer tomorrow moring and arranged uber to pick my up from the collision center and take me home, gratis. Very pleased with them. So...after owning several RR's in the late 2000's (07-08) and having non stop issues I decided to try again with my brand new RR, plunked down 93K....and would up in a uber crv. A couple of questions.

1. Anybody want to throw out their opinions as to WTF happened???? (picked car up in Feb/8100 miles)

2. Now that I need a car do you think the dealership will give me a loaner

3. Do you think that with such a fatal (assumed) engine/transmission fault that the car can be properly repaired...or should I call corporate and ask for a new one

Any advice will be well received and appreciated. Thank you all so very much :)

Gregg

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. many different variables could have caused your engine to "blow up"
2. I am pretty sure that your dealership would provide you with a loaner. They did with me when I had a cosmetic problem with mine.
3. I would figure they would try all possible repairs before they would give you a new one but since I am new to the Land Rover world maybe one of the more seasoned members could answer that one.

I would just try to document everything to the best of my ability just in case they start throwing out that you may have caused the problem.
Keep us advised on your progress with Land Rover and the dealership.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,082 Posts
First of all I'm glad to hear you got through this situation safely. What a scary situation!

I would assume the dealer would give you a loaner as the car will be in the shop for awhile and it's under warranty. The only way I think they wouldn't is if you didn't buy it from them and they are one of those snooty dealers that refuses to give loaners to people who didn't buy there.

Have no idea what happened, but I'm really looking forward to what the dealer finds out. I would worry about what kind of damage occurred, and it doesn't seem like a "simply replace one part and things are good" kind of fix. With only 8100 miles it may be worth exploring options through the dealer and corporate in getting another vehicle as it would be hard to trust the same vehicle even if its "fixed." Never hurts to ask, especially since you are a repeat customer.

I am pleased to hear that LR roadside assistance was helpful.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hodog....thank you for your words...I will definitely keep the forum up to date. Will swing by the dealer (yes I bought it from them) and see what they will do for me. I will also wait and see what the damage is,,,and go from there.

Thanks so much...

Gregg

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
206 Posts
That sucks big time. Hope it all come to a speedy conclusion. Did you lease it or buy it? Here's hoping you leased it!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
It looks like he bought it used at 8100 miles. It should still be under warranty so dealer should give you a loaner. Unlike NA(naturally aspirated), supercharger is more cruel to the oil. Can it be oil starvation or lack of?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ugh...all I can add is luckily before a long drive from California to Colorado I was trying to check my oil and noticed that the oil detection system was faulty (ie. could not check the level on the dash as required). Took it the dealer beforehand and got it sorted. Maybe a tip for the RRSSC owners out there to have look to make sure its working.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Similar story with my friend's mom on her full sized supercharged back in 2013 or so. Thing blew up on the 5 heading down from SF. My car has a weird grinding sound sometimes in 1-2 gear at around 3k rpms. I worry about what the cause is if it could lead to something like this (bad bearing somewhere in the engine or tranny maybe). It's stories like this that scare me away from doing the ecu/pulley tune on the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...so I leased it new (12 miles on the odometer) just for your info....also////went to the dealer this morning and was able to get a 16 jag xf 35t...not a rrssc....but not bad. :) they said they will let me know what is up with the car and get back to me. I told them that I am not comfortable if the transmission or motor have to be rebuilt.....would rather just get a new car outright. We will see...and I will keep u updated.

Thanks for all the help everyone.......

Gregg

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good luck.

Seems like an unlucky freak occurrence. Their are bound to be X number of catastrophic failures per vehicles built unfortunately.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The XF 35t isn't bad, it's what my dealer gives as loaners (those and Evoques). At least its a decent sized car. Always ruffled my feathers they wouldn't loan back what you were getting serviced, but beggars can't be choosers. Good luck with your rig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your sport. My transmission had to be replaced at 2k miles because of a leak in the casing. I complained to Land Rover corporate and after some wait they got back to me and agreed to replace my vehicle. I too was a multiple repeat customer so that may have made a difference. Anyways my replacement vehicle is set to arrive on July 1. In the meantime, they do let you keep the repaired RRS until they replacement comes in. They try to match up your specs with a similar vehicle. In my case because I had a nonstandard color, I had to reorder. PM me if you want more details.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So update...got a call from the dealer and they are like well...we are still looking at the car and have not checked out the transmission yet..but you need a new motor. The rep was funny...telling me to enjoy my loaner for a while (and yes..the 35t isn't bad...just small inside) Now I am sure that when they look at the transmission they will tell me that I need a new one as well. So what do I do now....I would think that since everything will be replaced new I should be ok...or do I ask corporate for new car. Advice please...thanks very much...

Gregg

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd ask for a new vehicle, personally. Motor and tranny at 2k miles? You might even check your lemon laws in your state. I hear LRNA hates having to lemon a car, so it's worth a look.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,082 Posts
I would go for a new car personally. Having to drive with an engine and tranny not from the factory would give me pause. Since you are leasing you won't have to worry about damage to value since it will look bad on the records that work had to be done this early.

Maybe see if you can break the lease and start over or get a car to replace it. I wouldn't want to pay a monthly lease for a 93k car while I'm driving a 50k XF so work on some concessions for your inconvenience.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
It does not matter what state you live in Lemon laws would not apply here. There has been no issues and no chance for the dealer to make things right. Instead of everyone jumping to conclusions and getting the OP worked up how about if we wait to hear what the actual issue is and how the dealer is going to handle it. Remember folks, EVERY car maker has cars that flop. Something as small as a single bolt not torques can kill an engine. If the engine and transmission are replaced with new crate versions and the car is as good as new then there is no need for further drama. Fecal matter exists in the universe. :lol:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So update...got a call from the dealer and they are like well...we are still looking at the car and have not checked out the transmission yet..but you need a new motor. The rep was funny...telling me to enjoy my loaner for a while (and yes..the 35t isn't bad...just small inside) Now I am sure that when they look at the transmission they will tell me that I need a new one as well. So what do I do now....I would think that since everything will be replaced new I should be ok...or do I ask corporate for new car. Advice please...thanks very much...

Gregg
Wow, sorry to hear your saga. I would rather a new engine and transmission rather than trying to repair major issue with the engine. Its a new car except the used body which is also practically new. I would be ok with that. Reason is I have been through my own drama which had nothing to do with the engine, and I also wound up with a buy back. Atleast there are no issues with anything else, so let them give you a new engine. A whole new car would be better on a psychological level though. You can only ask for so much. :think:

·
Registered
160 Posts
They've already said he needs a new engine, I would ask if it is a crate motor or being pulled from another car. If you have the tranny replaced as well, you might be fine. You might end up in the same spot in another 2k miles. I agree with Toad, let them tell you what they find, ask how they plan to replace it, and research your states lemon laws in the mean time. Never hurts to be informed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It does not matter what state you live in Lemon laws would not apply here. There has been no issues and no chance for the dealer to make things right. Instead of everyone jumping to conclusions and getting the OP worked up how about if we wait to hear what the actual issue is and how the dealer is going to handle it. Remember folks, EVERY car maker has cars that flop. Something as small as a single bolt not torques can kill an engine. If the engine and transmission are replaced with new crate versions and the car is as good as new then there is no need for further drama. Fecal matter exists in the universe. :lol:
Yep. I'd not really worry if they are giving you brand new parts.
Sure it is an inconvenience, but I'd rest easy knowing that the same sort of failure is highly unlikely to happen twice on the same vehicle.

Good luck.

Seems like an unlucky freak occurrence. Their are bound to be X number of catastrophic failures per vehicles built unfortunately.
There*

Lol sorry, it was bothering me too much to let my typo be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts