RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Threads on other forums regarding the retrofit of DAB radio to other Land Rover vehicles (and Jaguar) inspired me to install the missing DAB radio on my 2016 RRS SDV8. In fact, I bought the car without DAB in the firm belief that it could be done.

I found all required components used on ebay. Some are specific to L494/L405 (Band III dual antenna amplifier), others are used in a wide range of JLR vehicles, such as the DAB(+) unit itself. I think mine came out of an XF. I haven't bothered to connect the L-Band antenna, because access to the roof antenna seems impossible without removing the headliner. Some experience with car electrics and access to wiring diagrams are required.

Factory position of the DAB module

There are three slightly more demanding steps in this procedure:

(1) Running the MOST fiber optic cables from the left boot area to the center console and the main amp under the left front seat. Quite a bit of dis- and reassembly is required, if one choses to run the MOST fibers under the carpet parallel with other existing wiring, which I assumed as the factory route. Some cars will have MOST in the boot already for navigation or a rear entertainment system.

From rear

under the back seat carpet

to the center console

(2) Exchange of the right side antenna booster/splitter under the rear spoiler and routing the antenna wiring through the tail gate. I made the coax cables myself from RG-174U and FAKRA crimp connectors I bought online.

(3) Adjusting the car configuration so the DAB unit is recognized and can be controlled by the media system
Then, the result looks like this:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what tool did you use for updating the car configuration
I have used the DA Dongle from Diagnostic Associates as the hardware interface. I had previously tried the VCX nano (on the cheap side), but that was painstakingly slow and numerous timed failed even at reading the DTCs. Most of the time, communication broke down before reading out the vehicle data had been completed. I didn't dare to go at programming with this device. The DA Dongle works flawlessly - as it should being a JLR approved vehicle interface.

On the software side I went with JLR SDD. As-built data and engineering mode are required for changes to the CCF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used the DA Dongle from Diagnostic Associates as the hardware interface. I had previously tried the VCX nano (on the cheap side), but that was painstakingly slow and numerous timed failed even at reading the DTCs. Most of the time, communication broke down before reading out the vehicle data had been completed. I didn't dare to go at programming with this device. The DA Dongle works flawlessly - as it should being a JLR approved vehicle interface.

On the software side I went with JLR SDD. As-built data and engineering mode are required for changes to the CCF.
Hi newyankee, thanks for your response. another question - were you able to use the DA dongle ok attached to Windows 10 computer or did you have to use a Windows 7 computer (I notice that their compatibility list for the DA dongle includes WIndows 7 but does not include WIndows 10) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used a dedicated Windows 7 computer. I would assume that the drivers work on W10 as well. However, if you plan on using SDD more than once, you will need to think about options on how to keep it "alive".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks newyankee. I think I have an old Win 7 laptop around, I will dig that out. Not quite sure what you mean by 'options on how to keep it "alive" ' ... would you be able to elaborate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts