RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up to folks with the HDD based NAV systems

According to JLR, the NAV update via USB is not intended for installation by the customer, but should be done by your dealer.

As soon as you insert the USB and it is recognized, it will begin to ERASE your system !
a trip to the dealer is required to fix it ...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That's news to me... Every instruction and shop manuals I have read about 2012+ RRS / LR4 / Evoque with gen. 2.1 HDD navigation says the map data update is carried out by the customer without a dealer's intervention required, the owner just needs an activation code (which you get when you purchase the map at navigation.com/landrover.) Didn't the USB drive come with instructions? Perhaps you got a bad unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everything you said is absolutely true, saw all the same docs and the info online says the same.

Instructions are included with the USB, 9 simple steps, of which only 4 really require effort (enter the code, press OK)- and I followed them to the letter.

When I finished, I had nothing except FM and SAT..no phone/bluetooth, no maps (black screen), no Ipod connection.
I thought something might be an issue when the update was at 1 hour 30 and only 70% complete. It finally finished in 2 hours (and a 1/4 tank of gas...)

I called LR support line and the woman I spoke with sighed and said "oh no" (never a good sign)as soon as I mentioned I was updating my NAV via USB.
She told me Navteq was supposed to stop sending the USB sticks out, they have had "quite a few" produce the same result.
It could be a bad stick, and if others had the same issue, it could be a run of bad ones, but she indicated the stick needed to go to the dealer and they needed to process it through a "tool", but she couldn't explain what tool was needed.
I'm hoping it's a quick fix, but unfortunately my dealer service dept. is closed on weekends, I need to wait until Monday.

Thank goodness I know where the dealer is located :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Keep us posted. I did read in the FAQ of the update procedure that it can take up to 2.5 hours to upload the whole data package via USB port - which seems comically slow to me as well - so I guess that part may be true. But unless you have a MY2010 or 2011 (in which case a special tool is indeed needed, there is no USB flash drive procedure and the data needs to be uploaded to the HDD via FireWire port), a dealer should not be necessary...

Perhaps there is indeed a problem with a batch of hard drives or USB sticks out there, we just haven't heard about them yet sine the MY2012 update was released just a few weeks ago. Curious to see how prepared your dealer is at dealing with this issue on Monday, good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,
I'm happy to report I have a resolution! , and yes, indeed, this is a owner installed update.

As part of my trying to get answers, I sent t a message to Navteq via the "contact us" link on the original order site.
I received the following response yesterday.

We are sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your latest purchase.
It has come to our attention that the directions provided may not have been clear.

Step 9 of the directions reads " Exit, lock the vehicle and leave it for at least 15 minutes before using the navigation system.
Since the vehicle must be running in order to perform the update, step 9 should read "Shut off the vehicle, exit, lock the vehicle and leave it for at least 15 minutes before using the navigation system. "

If you have not done so already, please try starting your vehicle and checking the navigation system to see if the update has completed.

If you are still experiencing difficulty, please take your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer.

So, after going out and starting the vehicle, yes, the nav works , is up to dare and the bluetooth and ipod are recognized again.:clap:

I might suggest waiting more than the 15 minutes on step 9 though, since all the other estimated times were pretty off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the necro update on this, but it's the only thread I found relevant to my dilemma.

I ran the update on my 2012 RRS this past weekend, and ended up with a NAV with some serious map issues. The map screen takes minutes to update, zooming in and out is super unresponsive. The current street name updates when it is supposed to, but the meat and potatoes of the NAV system are MIA.

Has anyone experienced this? Any workarounds, or a way to re-initiate the update from scratch, or am I stuck with a drive of shame to the dealership?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is this the update from Navigation.com thinking to do the same but keep hearing about these issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts