Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 34kmls, when pressing the start button I only hear a few electronic sounds but it does not even try to turnaround. Purchases it pre owned a year ago with 26kmls and has been trouble free except that few days ago during driving the power steering started going down. The next day when starting up it worked again as if nothing had happened. Since it is parked in the garage I plan on pulling it out with my other car and see if a start cable will do the trick. Did leave the hatch open last light so it is possible that the light drained the battery. Any other thoughts suggestions are welcome. Thanks and happy Memorial Day!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Probably right with the tailgate being left open. The light itself will time out, however these have issues going fully to sleep when any body panel is not fully latched.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Hooked up the starter cables with engine on but the RRS did not even try to turn around. Also noticed the car had dropped to easy access setting while it was parked in regular height. Looks like I will have to blow some $300+ to get it flat bedded to the dealership. Would that be covered under warranty?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts
First off..I'd go spend $ on a new battery at Sears and drop that in first, there are a ton of threads here indicating good battery choices. Sears Gold AGM is good option.

2nd...sounds like you might not be from here, so I'd recommend getting a AAA membership ASAP...that will save you a bundle on towing.

Do you still have active warranty coverage?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off..I'd go spend $ on a new battery at Sears and drop that in first, there are a ton of threads here indicating good battery choices. Sears Gold AGM is good option.

2nd...sounds like you might not be from here, so I'd recommend getting a AAA membership ASAP...that will save you a bundle on towing.

Do you still have active warranty coverage?
I still have factory warranty until August and likely will get extended warranty if I hold on to this car. Frankly speaking after owning 10 German cars in the last couple of decades this is the first one that leaves me dead in the water. I doubt it is the battery because when using the starter cables it didn't do anything. I mean the car electric system does work, with or without cables.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts
Of course the cars electric system will work, it doesn't need nowhere near as much juice as the starter. Just imagine how much power is needed to push eight COMPRESSED Pistons through the cylinders and crank case. And hooking it up to a Nissan versa's battery as an example, is not enough to get it going. Have you seen the RRS's battery? Lol it is huge!

P.S. I had many German cars too and I still love them but every single one has left me high and dry when the battery died. ;)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts
I still have factory warranty until August and likely will get extended warranty if I hold on to this car. Frankly speaking after owning 10 German cars in the last couple of decades this is the first one that leaves me dead in the water. I doubt it is the battery because when using the starter cables it didn't do anything. I mean the car electric system does work, with or without cables.
Just trying to save you some money chief...and the jumper cables "test" may not be sufficient. Good luck...

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
Just had a similar issue last week with my '06 RRS. Returning from a trip, get to the airport lot(small airport), go to start the RRS, and only the lights on the dash and quick click from the starter solenoid. Crap. I knew the battery was getting weak, especially at 5 years old. Luckily I was able to flag down one of the other guys in our group and he had jumper cables. The RRS would not start right away. We let it sit on the cable for about 10 minutes, then he brought up his engine speed for a minute, then the RRS barely turned enough to finally fire off!
Replaced the battery(Autozone Platinum H8-AGM) on the weekend and no problems.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts
High and dry today in Houston is a good thing anyway...better than low and wet! :)

You should consider also investing in a Rockford Pocket Power Jumpstarter for $125 bucks (model # RFDPPJS2976DLX), very handy to jump start any car or use as charging device/emergency flashlight, and powerful enough to jump a RRS easily as well as highly portable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips. Interestingly, this stubborn thing decided to start this morning without help mind you and easy as if nothing ever happened, go figure! BTW the jumpers yesterday were connected to VW Touareg v8 and it didn't even try...

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
All of this sounds like you need to pay your charging system some attention. Are your cables clean and tight at BOTH ends? A little corrosion at the battery will make a mess of your day in short order. It will also impede charging and overstress your alternator. As noted above, replace your battery if it is original. You are already on borrowed time and begging to be stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
103 Posts
If you are still under warranty you should use the Land Rover Road Side assistance and they should tow it for you for free

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Yes but a battery is not covered under warranty as it is a wear item. As he is going to have to pay for a battery anyway it makes no sense to have the rig towed for free then turn around and pay double the price at the dealer. Purchase and install the battery where it sits and save a nice chunk of money.

·
Registered
802 Posts
So he's gotta pay for a battery... No biggie if the original has served its time well. I have no issues with paying to replace parts when they have served me well for an acceptable amount of time.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
336 Posts
So he's gotta pay for a battery... No biggie if the original has served its time well. I have no issues with paying to replace parts when they have served me well for an acceptable amount of time.
I think it's more so about getting it told just to pay for a battery, especially from the dealer which is usually $250+, vs going to a parts store, spending $150-$200, & sticking it in yourself.

O'Reilly has the same exact battery (Super Start Extreme) with more amps, CCA etc.

Anyway, that's all I think most were saying about paying for a battery...

·
Banned
224 Posts
Yes but a battery is not covered under warranty as it is a wear item. As he is going to have to pay for a battery anyway it makes no sense to have the rig towed for free then turn around and pay double the price at the dealer. Purchase and install the battery where it sits and save a nice chunk of money.
Huh, the batteries on my Jag are covered under the warranty for the full term of factory warranty, so I am surprised that's not the case with LR. Not that my LR is anywhere near within warranty. I put in a new AutoZone battery when I got it. Love those batteries.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
Same goes for Land Rover, the original battery is covered by the same factory warranty as the rest of the car, 4 years or 50k miles, whichever occurs first. Land Rover engineering goes to great lengths to make sure these batteries fail a few miles after you hit 50k, but sometimes you get lucky, forget a lamp on or something, and it fails before the warranty is up. ;-) The good news is that, if you are due for a complimentary replacement, your dealer will most likely install an Interstate battery, which is a better quality unit than the factory cell (made by Varta and not available here in North America last time I checked.)

·
Registered
802 Posts
With what Umberto just said mine must have just been replaced as I already have and interstate battery

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
103 Posts
umberto totally forgot about that..LR does replace the battery for free within the warranty period. I had mine replaces after 3years and 36k miles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.