RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks like the compressor for the suspension gave out. No special programs fault car won't raise and it's on the bump stops the wife said. so its getting towed to the dealer in Redwood City CA. I think I know whats wrong with it, the compressor/dryer for the suspension went bad. This stuff always happens when I leave for work on my ship. So now here comes the legal rape from the dealer and I can't do anything about it. So as soon as I find out the millions of dollars the dealer is going to charge me I will share the sorrow with my Rover buddies. Wish me luck maybe a bad sensor or something simple
Capt Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will be very interested to hear as I just bought a 2007 RR S/C and wonder if some preventative maintenance may be in my future.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Why not take it to Cerrone's in Redwood City - they'll probably be a better price than the dealer and especially if you are a NCLR member, maybe even better service.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cerrone's does not have a diagnostic device I am told and the wife took it to the dealer I was on a plane going to work so I could not control the situation

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Well looks like the compressor for the suspension gave out. No special programs fault car won't raise and it's on the bump stops the wife said.
It's not that I don't believe your wife, but... If the compressor really went out, or if the car found itself on the bump stops and unable to raise back to normal height due to a major air leak or component failure, all kinds of fault messages would pop up within seconds of the engine starting, Special Programs Off and a bunch of other ones. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so i got a update on my 2007 RRS from the dealer today. First i am on my ship in the Gulf of Mexico so i have sat phone and internet i called the dealer in Redwood City CA and they said its the compressor it failed electricly and mechanically with a whole bunch of error codes which the dealer is going to e-mail me the codes. The cost to replace including labor is $1,356.00 so not so bad i guess i know i most likely could of had it done at cerroni's for less but was in a bad situation being on a plane back to the ship. I will post the error codes when i get them e-mailed to me. Now for the bad news they also found a leak comming from my transmission so they are going to fix that to and will cost $1,402.00 i had the oil changed about 6 months ago at Cerroni's and had a complete inspection of the car and had the battery replaced and they also said i had small seepage comming from my tranny then and should watch and see if it gets worse. The dealer said that this issue with the tranny can happen so i am glad they caught it before something bad happened. I can't recall any leaks comming from my car but i am not home all the time but when i am home i do look at the car closely and like i said i dont remember any leaks but i have been away for sometime and was in kauai for a vacation the last 3 weeks. Which leads me to my other story i have a 2002 Honda Odessey mini van with 80,000 miles on it and on the last day there while driving it to my storage facility the transmission gave out while going up a small hill the rpm's went up and the car slowed down then a sound like a clunk happened and i got the tranny back and it drove normal for the 10 miles to the storage facility in Lawai where i left it to go back to California. So when i go back in late Sept i will have to get that fixed to. Boy when it rains it pours at least on me. I am so greatfull i have a great job so i can afford these things but why does this stuff happen when iam either on my ship or one the last day on Kauai and cant get these thing done when i am home my poor wife has to take car of this stuff for me. Lucky again to have such a wonderfull wife that can handle this stuff being married to a sailor. so anyway will post the error codes when i get them.
Capt Ken

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hey CaptKen,
Sorry to hear about these misfortunes...hopefully you will at least stay clear of Issac. :pray:

On the trans leak--is it coming from the Mechatronic plug? I don't want you to run up the sat phone bill but it wouldn't hurt to ask b/c if its NOT then you might want to have them change that plug seal while they are at it--it won't cost much more to do it now, but a whole lot of money to do it later. This is assuming they are draining and refilling the trans to fix whatever leak they are fixing if its not the plug. Additionally you may want to have them change the trans filter while they are down there. Again the cost is minimal...compared to having it done again later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I will call in the morning and Have them change the seal on the plug and the filter they said it would be ready sometime tomarrow so I hope I call them in time thanks for the suggestion. Oh and I don't have to pay for the sat bill the company gives it to us for free I call my wife every day and do FaceTime on my I phone which is like video chat before I go to bed it makes the separation go by quicker amazeing technology these days. I can remember calling on the sat phone in the 80' at 10 bucks a minute with a 3 min minimum or using radio stations around the world sending telex messages to my wife from CapeTown south Africa. Cool stuff

·
Registered
256 Posts
I love my Iridium Sat Phone Never leave on a Location without it. As for Isaac I am gearing up to go out to Haiti to cover the potential destruction. I am hoping that it will run out of steam and those poor folks will be left alone. If it is a No Go I will get to carry on and work on my 4.4 engine removal this weekend.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was to late to have Land Rover of Redwood city do the extra work. To chand the tranny filter and seal oh well. TS Issac is comming to the gulf so my ship the Helix Produced 1 will disconnect from our wells on Monday and head west. When it passes we will go back on location at block 237 Green Canyon send our signal down to the buoy and it will release and will maneuver the ship to retrieve the buoy and re connect and start up production. We are the only ship of this type in the gulf that can disconnect and run from storms. Everybody else has to get evacuated by helicopter and abandon there rigs. We just go for a pleasure cruise it will be nice to get underway again. I have been in the same spot for 2 1/2 years maybe drive the ship to Cozomel for some magaretas at Mr Frogs I wish Helix most likely will say no to that one.
Capt Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Capt Ken thanks for all the info. Sorry about all the car issues. Certainly things could always be worse. BTW if you ever need someone to be your personal bag carrier while under way give me a call. Sounds like a pretty cool job.

Be safe and let us know if anything crops up after the fixes. I am thinking it won't matter how much I baby and pre- empt, my RR S/C she's going to have some issues to face at some point. Oh well, it's the fraternity I chose to be a part of and I'm lov'in the good times.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Well I was to late to have Land Rover of Redwood city do the extra work. To chand the tranny filter and seal oh well. TS Issac is comming to the gulf so my ship the Helix Produced 1 will disconnect from our wells on Monday and head west. When it passes we will go back on location at block 237 Green Canyon send our signal down to the buoy and it will release and will maneuver the ship to retrieve the buoy and re connect and start up production. We are the only ship of this type in the gulf that can disconnect and run from storms. Everybody else has to get evacuated by helicopter and abandon there rigs. We just go for a pleasure cruise it will be nice to get underway again. I have been in the same spot for 2 1/2 years maybe drive the ship to Cozomel for some magaretas at Mr Frogs I wish Helix most likely will say no to that one.
Capt Ken
Well you tried...

Cool stuff CaptKen. I used to own some HLX stock a while back -- unfortunately it won't go down as the best trade I ever made. They'll probably hijack the boat and hold you for ransom in Mexico anyway so its best you stay put. I'll leave you with a another song:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been hi jacked before but they were tee shirt girls that came by bum boat and they were selling more than tee shirts to the crew I had to give one sailor recifin shots from one girl he was with that was in Surabaya Indonesia oh the memories

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I have been hi jacked before but they were tee shirt girls that came by bum boat and they were selling more than tee shirts to the crew I had to give one sailor recifin shots from one girl he was with that was in Surabaya Indonesia oh the memories
Any chance the t-shirts said "I went to Surabaya and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and a case of the clap"

Man my life is boring.
Dr. Nooro, don't sell yourself short as offroad driving on the center meridian of a major US interstate is pretty interesting.

But yes, many of us eagerly await CaptKen's posts to break up the monotony around here. If CaptKen ever wrote a book (though I fear it would spend a while in editing) I would certainly buy a copy. I've even thought of a title: "Fifty Shades of Blue."

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok my wife picked up the rover and e-mailed me the work order first the EAS compressor the codes were C1131-92 Air supply failor and C1A20-64 Res pressure increase to slow when filling codes stored. Tech tested and found vert low output from EAS compressor. The compressor was $866.00 relay was $22.00 the rest was labor for a total of$1282.00. Now the Transmission leak Transmission connector and pan gasket leaking so fixed that the sleeve was 16.95 the pan gasket was32.71 tranny fliud was 338.40 the rest was labor for a total of $1369.00 all i can say is **** but its done. "Hurricane ISAAC WERE RUNNING" So on the status of my ship we are in position 26-12.1N 092-05.1 on a course of 200 at a speed of 5 Knots ship rolled pretty bad last night doors slamming stuff flying aroud others people cabin and it woke me up twice from sleep. We were doing a FMEA trial with inspectors on board its to test the Dynamic Position systems on board and the inspectors make recomandations to better the system for station keeping. the seas were about 12 to 14 ft winds were about 30 to 40 Knots so we will see how the conditions are in the morning and head back to our site 90 miles off the coast of Louisiana complete our FMEA trials hire a ROV vessel and hook back up to our Buoy and start making money should be around Saturday will see. It is nice being underway again instead of staying in one spot i feel like a sailor again just with they had Tee shirt girls that could come out to our ship HAHA i was thinking about buying a old abandon rig off the coast to make a hotel a gentelmans hotel but the wife said no and i would get in trouble. Anyways thought you Rover Buddies would want the codes for the faults on the Rover.
Capt Ken

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
"Hurricane ISAAC WERE RUNNING" So on the status of my ship we are in position 26-12.1N 092-05.1 on a course of 200 at a speed of 5 Knots ship rolled pretty bad last night doors slamming stuff flying aroud others people cabin and it woke me up twice from sleep.
Ken,
Thanks for the update and good to hear you are ok. It appears what you had done on the transmission was to replace the Mechatronic sleeve that I was talking about. Just wanted to make sure if it was something else they replaced that sleeve while they were at it, b/c it tends to leak eventually.

BTW, I punched those coordinates into my GPS, and they give me that you are somewhere north of Bangladesh in the Himalaya mountains. That was one strong hurricane...or I'm not punching in the number correctly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
West vice East should help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our 1200 position is now 25-23.5 N. 092-13.4W pretty sure I am in the gulf of Mexico I look out the window and it looks like the gulf maybe you put the longitude in as East and not West try again also you can go to AIS position for ships on the net and see where we are all the time the ship is the Helix Producer 1 our MMSI number is 311062000 which is like a transponder number to identify our vessel you can see all the ships in the gulf it's pretty cool. Oh and I have been to Chittigong Bengladesh brought 70,000 metric tons of grain for the world food org also have a good story on that trip.
Capt Ken

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought Chittagong truly sucked (at least when I was there in 71 to evacuate some Brits and Americans who should have known better to sit through a civil war - fortunately Brits sent a couple of 747s in and saved ENTERPRISE the trouble). It had one airconditioned bar - after 70 days at sea, I think I drank it dry!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts