Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some other topic about a Kenwood install there was mention of another topic where Marty posted a link to a PDF with the wires and pin locations ofthe DSP and HU.in this isaw three interesting features: phone mute, phone in +and phone in -...

these thre should be wired to C1376 .... now I'm interested where to find this C1376 so I opened RAVE and looked it up...... somehow (perhaps my rave is a wrong version, I only can choose up to 1999 in the electrics library) RAVE lists TWO different C1376 if I look under "C1376, Face view" one 3pole, that's the one I'm looking for, and one 8 pole, I think that's the one they show on location ...

can anyone tell me where this 3P-C1376 is located??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a phone built in the car, so it can't be "on the phone" and like I said.. my rave, in the library for 1999 and on, it shows two connectors with C1376 as number and the lokaion of th 8p one is shown (rear right corner, connected to C1375)

but it will be near the DSP then?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,225 Posts
I'll open up my laptop in a minute and take a look for you...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
My connector (from memory ) was in the CD changer/subwoofer area in behind the CD changer. It was actually labelled 'Phone' on a sticker on the end of the loom. It is possible that it could be behind the trim which is behind the subwoofer/cd changer as if It wasn't an option that was used, then they might have tucked it up in behind.

I also had a feeling that it is a 4 way connector, not 3.

I ended up busy as work yesterday and then having a crazy evening of a delayed, then cancelled flight and very little sleep last night, so haven't had a chance to look properly. I may somewhere have a picture of it from when I stripped the interior to re-carpet. I'll have to look later though as I'm going straight to work from getting off the plane this morning...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
623 Posts
Phone.JPG
From Rave Electrical Manual

Pin 1 LGB (Light Green/Black) goes to pin 42 on DSP amp. Phone input +ve
Pin 2 BLG (Black/Light Green) goes to pin 41 on DSP amp. Phone input -ve
Pin 3 PO (Purple/Orange) goes to pin 28 on DSP amp. Phone Mute

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I couldn't find a picture from when I had the interior all apart that showed the connector, sorry.

I am sure it is down somewhere around the back of the CD-changer - though I can't remember if it is there, or just hidden behind the trim behind the subwoofer, and then I just poked it under the trim when I was carpeting.

I'm home in 10 days, so I will have a look in mine then and see what I can find (If you haven't located it by then, that is!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
20140628_135022_Android.jpg
20140628_134958_Android.jpg

Not the best pics but think by the descriptions given this is what your looking for. Mine was tucked up by the cd changer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
That's the b**ger!

Handily labelled 'Phone' by LR too.... which makes a change on these things... something labelled in a way that makes sense :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NICE, no need to take the sub out and search behind the trim then ;-)

anyone knows what level is supposed to be fed into it? line level I suppose, so need a line out on the carkit or put an adapter inbetween?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but Marty, (or anyone?) What triggers the DSP to mute the stereo for the sat nav, or phone?
Do you know if it is a positive going signal, or earth signal?
The reason I ask is that I have been fighting the dead DSP amp issue for some time on and off on the 02 and since RR seems to like routing things through dodgy corrosion prone connectors
I am wondering if the problems I am having are being caused by stray current in a plug triggering the DSP to mute the stereo??
If it is a +5v signal, for example, it would be easy to have that as a stray voltage in the harness or corroded and tracking plug....like in the footwell behind the kick panel.
Same really if it wants to see B- as it would be either an 5v analog signal at virtually zero ma.
Oh, and I have no phone, and have removed the Sat nav CD drive.......
Thoughts?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
NICE, no need to take the sub out and search behind the trim then ;-)

anyone knows what level is supposed to be fed into it? line level I suppose, so need a line out on the carkit or put an adapter inbetween?
Yes, I believe it is probably line level.... but it *may* even be an amplified signal input. The only reason I say that is because I found out that the sat nav computer has an 8ohm 1 watt amplifier chip in it - and can actually handle a speaker on the output of it without the need for an external amp. I don't know how this works in with the DSP system - whether it normally just outputs a line level and the DSP amp then does the amplification, and the amplifier chip in the sat nav just detects this and doesn't operate - or whether the DSP system takes in an amplified input and then switches it to the front speakers, and mutes the rears.

So as far as phone goes.... not 100% sure. my gut says that it would be line in, like the feed from the head unit... but the fact the nav is a bit strange (and an external input to the system - like a phone) makes me wonder.

The easiest thing would be to try it - feed a line level in, and a mute command on that wire, and see what happens - if it amplifies in the DSP amp, then you'll hear it in the speakers, if it doesn't then you'll just get silence (though there are are a load of other reasons for this too!!)

Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but Marty, (or anyone?) What triggers the DSP to mute the stereo for the sat nav, or phone?
Do you know if it is a positive going signal, or earth signal?
The reason I ask is that I have been fighting the dead DSP amp issue for some time on and off on the 02 and since RR seems to like routing things through dodgy corrosion prone connectors
I am wondering if the problems I am having are being caused by stray current in a plug triggering the DSP to mute the stereo??
If it is a +5v signal, for example, it would be easy to have that as a stray voltage in the harness or corroded and tracking plug....like in the footwell behind the kick panel.
Same really if it wants to see B- as it would be either an 5v analog signal at virtually zero ma.
Oh, and I have no phone, and have removed the Sat nav CD drive.......
Thoughts?
Again, I want to say that this is a 0v/ground level as an input, though it could be a connection to +12v that does it. I will have a look at a couple of my notes and see if I can find out if I figured that part out when I was looking into the system. the way I look at it though.... if you test it by grounding it and the music stops, then bingo. If it doesn't, then you can try it with +5v and work your way up to 12V fairly easily. Also if it's expecting a high (5v/12v) signal and you ground the pin, then it won't make any difference - though if it is expecting 0V/Ground and you put 5V/12V down it to test, then it could do damage to the muting circuit (at the very least!)

I'll post back when I've had a look through my notes, if it turns anything additional up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Again, I want to say that this is a 0v/ground level as an input, though it could be a connection to +12v that does it. I will have a look at a couple of my notes and see if I can find out if I figured that part out when I was looking into the system. the way I look at it though.... if you test it by grounding it and the music stops, then bingo. If it doesn't, then you can try it with +5v and work your way up to 12V fairly easily. Also if it's expecting a high (5v/12v) signal and you ground the pin, then it won't make any difference - though if it is expecting 0V/Ground and you put 5V/12V down it to test, then it could do damage to the muting circuit (at the very least!)

I'll post back when I've had a look through my notes, if it turns anything additional up.
Thanks!
As I have no phone or operable Satnav, I suppose an easy test would be to simply clip the wire in question at the DSP connector and see what we get?
Is the Satnav mute line the same one as the phone uses, or is it separate?

Any idea which wires they would be?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
No, they are different wires for each mute line.

If you have no sat nav that's working, then in purple (rave says Red, but I thought mine was more Maroon!) the connector at the nav computer end there should be a Grey/Orange wire - that's the mute line.
The phone mute is Purple/Orange, and will be in the connector that RogerB is looking for behind the CD stacker.

You could also snip them at the DSP amp, but it is a bit of a bugger to get to if you just want to test it, but not impossible...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I will go at them at the amp as I have a Disco amp in there now. I will try both of my "Dead" DSP amps at that time.
The advantage here is that my theory is that the problem is in the DSP portion and the mute line is being pulled down by corrosion.
Snip at the amp, and I eliminate all the potential bad connections.
I shall therefore cut the Maroon wire as well as the phone mute line

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Maroon wire?... I as describing the connector at the sat nav end. The wire is purple with orange stripe. Don't cut the solid purple wire, as it's likely to be a +12v live feed.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No worries....but it does sound very dramatic..."Wait! Not the Maroon wire!!!!"........Boom!

Any idea what colours they are by the time they reach the DSP amp?
I have looked for the diagram, but have not found one for the DSP variant.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Same as I said above. They don't change colour along the way. Grey/Orange for the nav mute, Purple/Orange for phone mute.

If you look under my username at my started threads there is an **INFO** one about the DSP wiring and a downloadable document I made that shows all the wiring colours and where they run from/to and what connectors /splices they route through too.

I wrote it when I was figuring out how to put an aftermarket system in mine when I found the DSP amp was missing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts