Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with part of the screen failing on my original multi-information display I decided to upgrade from the cool yet extremely out-dated factory nav system. I purchased a cheap Pyle 7" touch screen head unit (PLDNV695) on eBay for $185 and made a custom faceplate to keep the OEM look. I kept the factory Logic 7 system, and have both amps fully functional so the sound is still great.

You can flame all you want for removing the factory display and replacing it with something from China, but I now have touchscreen, DVD, excellent bluetooth for handsfree calls and wireless music, an aux input, 32 gig of media at my fingertips, and a wonderful nav setup with 3D maps and many more features than OEM. Overall, it's just a lot more modern and not a big expense.

I'll post more pictures when I get the vehicle all clean again, but for now I just wanted to show anyone that is interested that you CAN upgrade the factory unit in an elegant and yet affordable way. I even still have the Land Rover startup logo.

For those that don't know, the factory amps can be used with any aftermarket head unit as there is no I-bus communication to them. Simply connect your amp control wire from the new head unit to pin 3 on the silver logic 7 amp, and pin 12 on the black auxiliary amp. The 4 speaker channels go to pins 4, 5, 6, and 7 on the logic 7 amp, with their (-) wires being on pins 15, 16, 17, and 18.

Let me know what you all think.

screen shot on a pc

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
437 Posts
No flames, just kudos.

I've had my '08 RR SC for a month and a half and the factory NAV and audio system is a disappointment to say the least. '90s technology in 2013.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow! Looks awesome ... Nicely done! Definitely no flaming here, just more Kudos. Please post what you had to do with pics. Been thinking about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
28 Posts
I like the ID...also have a 08 SC and I would not mind changing the head unit...Please post info to get it done...Thanks look nice

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a pic of the original head unit.

I ran all the wires down the driver's side along next to the factory wiring harness. It looks worse than it really was, just remove the floor finishers and upper trim along the drivers side, along with the drivers seat and you have access to everything. I ran 4 twisted pairs for the audio channels to reduce any interference running wires that length. The backup camera power is wired in the rear, with the single video line and reverse gear selected (12V from reverse light wire located next to the spare tire) running back along that same route to dash.

For the new faceplate I used 3 layers of fiberglass mat for the structure itself, finished with resin jelly and some body filler/glazing putty to get it nice and smooth. I rough sanded the original faceplate on the sides so the fiberglass would adhere well, and it is really strong.

Here's a pic showing the navigation too. Very easy to use interface overall.

It should be noted that I did lose my steering wheel controls (though you can buy the I-bus adapter for this but I didn't want to mess with it as the volume for my music is really easy to control from my phone). I also lost the control of the dash clock, though I reconnected my battery at noon so that it's not way off. You could always hook up the old MID to set that stuff I suppose.

By the way, I had repainted all my peeling silver factory dash/door pieces long ago with duplicolor "brilliant silver metallic" which looks better than the OEM color I think, but either way it was then easy to match the new faceplate with all the other silver plastic in the interior for a factory look.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
apparently some Japanese company makes a direct touch screen replacement that retains the wheel controls and canbus info... I've never seen anyone actually talking about buying it and installing it... Was always curious

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Range rover

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Media player

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually did look at those units. At the time, when I learned that the "plug and play" only applied to the non-logic 7 systems I opted against those, because they were about $550-600 compared to the not even $200 I paid for the PLDNV695, thinking I would need to buy a couple amps for ~$200-300 either way. I was originally planning on pulling out the factory amps, thinking there was no easy way to use them with an aftermarket head unit. Turns out it is actually really easy to use the factory amps with a new head unit, so in hindsight I perhaps should have purchased one of the above units and painted the faceplate to match (the buttons/knobs complete the true OEM look I think).

As far as making custom faceplates for the PLDNV695 for other people, I don't think I really have the time for it, at least to be able to make it cheap enough that it appeals to a buyer. But maybe if enough people are interested I could make a mold or something to speed up the process and make it more feasible. The PLDNV695 has been pretty great so far considering just how cheap it was though.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
Hmmm, work on a 2003?
Looks great, and anyone that flames you is being idiotic IMHO. The OEM stuff may have been cutting edge 10yrs ago, but no touch screen in 2013? Sad

Martin

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was real close last night to ordering the china model in the picture above, it is extremely tempting.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have your face plate scanned and then reproduced via a 3D printer. Could be a nice little business. I'd take one.
Also, I'm not sure I saw what year your roveris. I have a 2005 which is different as it's fiber optic I believe. Would this work for me as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the process of buying a 2004 HSE, and to be honest, the only thing letting the side down a bit is that head unit!

Anyone ever fitted one of these replacement units mentioned above?

This is the store link:
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/7-quot-in-dash-car-dvd-player-for-land-rover/144066241.html
I'm in the process of installing one of those in my '03. I'll let you know what I find out. This unit comes with Steering wheel controls, backup camera, TV, DVD. I'm attempting to upgrade my center console with an 'O8 and if I can get electronic brake working i'm in business.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
certainly keep us posted. Besides the junk interior trim finish, the only thing that lets down the 03 is the head unit. Probably cutting edge.....15yrs ago!

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
Did you use the MkIII GPS antenna, or the one you can get to go with the Pyle head unit?

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of installing one of those in my '03. I'll let you know what I find out. This unit comes with Steering wheel controls, backup camera, TV, DVD. I'm attempting to upgrade my center console with an 'O8 and if I can get electronic brake working i'm in business.
Great, I'd be keen to hear how you go! I think up you might battle with an '08 console upgrade, from one I saw the other day, you also have the gear lever moved across towards the driver, and the terrain response control knob to contend with?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of these units for my 2003 L322 just last week. I found a Chinese company selling it for $350 + $70 for shipping. After several emails of questions to the vendor I was assured that this is plug and play (have to run the harness to the rear of the vehicle). I opted for no TV capability which was $30 extra. I'm sure there was a back up camera option as well but am unsure of the price I'll post again with the results of the install if there is any interest. Link to the site where i made my purchase below.

http://en.hualingan.com/html-en/product-FQnElWfKFJLm-Land+Rover+Range+Rover+radio+navigation.html

·
Registered
494 Posts
Please do keep us updated, take pics and write us details of the install!:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please update once you get it. I almost ordered one today also.

OP, was the speaker wiring hard? I have installed double din head units into cars before. I just need a dash kit and a wire harness and everything was pretty easy. Ive been reading all over the internet trying to figure out how to wire up a new head unit in my 03 range rover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts