RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!

I did some searching but all I could find on this was from issues where the misfire was actually causing the car to run poorly.

My Rover is running just fine but it is pulling multiple misfire codes;
P0300 Random misfire detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected
P0316 Misfire detected on startup (1st 1000 revolutions

I am assuming 300 and 316 are caused by 301 and 304 but if it is running fine and has plenty of power what else could cause this? MAF?

I am going to start with spark plugs but like I said, it is running just fine so I am looking for alternate causes?

Thanks all!!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Correct, it could be MAF but it could also be an ignition coil. You will need a GAP tool or equivalent to give you more detail on the issue and if it is an ignition coil the tool will provide which cylinder. On my '06 it was always cylinder 5 that misfired. Once you identify which coil is bad swap it with another and see if the misfire follows the coil. it is easy to do this. good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, it could be MAF but it could also be an ignition coil. You will need a GAP tool or equivalent to give you more detail on the issue and if it is an ignition coil the tool will provide which cylinder. On my '06 it was always cylinder 5 that misfired. Once you identify which coil is bad swap it with another and see if the misfire follows the coil. it is easy to do this. good luck
By GAP you mean an OBDII diagnostics code reader? Sorry, I have not heard of a GAP tool?

I did get it read and got the codes and it showed a misfire in cylinder 1 and 4 so if I switch those out to, say 2 and 3 then it should change the misfire code to those two cylinders correct??

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
By GAP you mean an OBDII diagnostics code reader? Sorry, I have not heard of a GAP tool?

I did get it read and got the codes and it showed a misfire in cylinder 1 and 4 so if I switch those out to, say 2 and 3 then it should change the misfire code to those two cylinders correct??
Sorry... yes the GAP IID tool and yes try the swap and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts