RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to buy a winter set of wheels - currently fitted are 18" alloys with road tyres which are useless in daughters field - wet grass and mud (clay!!!)

Got options on a set of 18in L322's @ c.£200 but would need mud tyres to replace the fitted road ones or could get a set of mud tyres for current road wheels and sell the tyres for a couple of bob - struggling to find inexpensive 18" mud tyres

Other option is a set of 16" remoulds £175 and a set of cheap 16" alloys £40 + carriage which I guess is the least expensive option - I really am not bothered about looks but need confirmation that if I buy a set of 16" alloys the remoulds will fit - as you'll gather I'm a tyre/wheel NUMPTY
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
If you want mud tires, get the 16's. There's infinitely more options out there for 16" mud tires than 18" ones.

Plus...it's cheaper, and they generally will work better than 18's in the muck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
kmagnuss said:
If you want mud tires, get the 16's. There's infinitely more options out there for 16" mud tires than 18" ones.

Plus...it's cheaper, and they generally will work better than 18's in the muck.
I'm agree with you : 16's and BFG MUD in 235/85/16 is the best for the P38 same in eas suspension :wink:

regards
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
scimitargtc said:
Need to buy a winter set of wheels - currently fitted are 18" alloys with road tyres which are useless in daughters field - wet grass and mud (clay!!!)

Got options on a set of 18in L322's @ c.£200 but would need mud tyres to replace the fitted road ones or could get a set of mud tyres for current road wheels and sell the tyres for a couple of bob - struggling to find inexpensive 18" mud tyres

Other option is a set of 16" remoulds £175 and a set of cheap 16" alloys £40 + carriage which I guess is the least expensive option - I really am not bothered about looks but need confirmation that if I buy a set of 16" alloys the remoulds will fit - as you'll gather I'm a tyre/wheel NUMPTY
Get 16 alloys but choose 8X16 (ie Cosmos) and OEM wheels because other brands rubs in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
'Winter tyres' and 'mud terrain' is a bit like a hunter asking about
dangerous game hunting and mentioning .22Lr as the preferred calibre.

Totally unsuited.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Boys and Girls ~ thanks for the super quick replies, 16's it is then.......

Richard
07540 356960 :D :D
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
Totally true about winter and mud but since there's written M/S (Mud and Snow) on all AT and MT tires, people do think that they can do well in snow.
How can a tire that has hard compound such as an AT or MT can be good in snow ? It simply can't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
:D I agree that the mud tyres are very dangerous on snow roads !! In my country, there is a lot of snow in winter !! One day, in winter, i take my p38 with his mud and never i will take !! :naughty:

Now, in summer, BFG MUD in 235/85/16 ; in winter, cooper discoverer sport (snow tyre) in 255/65/16 !!

Look the difference :



regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
rhino_ed said:
Isn't 235 kinda skinny?
:D yes, but it's the highest tyre you can put on the p38 with no modification. In the future, I'll hope to put BFG MUD on 255/85/16 with modification, of course :oops:

regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Yorkshire pudd'n.

The largest tire available for fitment to a P38 should be no greater than 31x10.5R16 with 16x8 O.E.M. factory rims if possible !

Get a set of Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip tires ex. US if you can, as these are a softer compound suitable for your snow conditions up north in the old blighty, and this shall require no modifications to your suspension or clearance/rubbing issue in the stated size.

Current brands are really a car carcass with harder compound chunky knobs as tread, where as the snow climate requires softer tread blocks evenly spaced with sufficient sipping in the lugs to evacuate any ice or snow underfoot for forward progress dude ?

Cheerio ol' chap,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
DAV P38 said:
[quote="rhino_ed":n7e6oyjh]Isn't 235 kinda skinny?
:D yes, but it's the highest tyre you can put on the p38 with no modification. In the future, I'll hope to put BFG MUD on 255/85/16 with modification, of course :oops:

regards[/quote:n7e6oyjh]

You can (just) get away with 265/75R16 without modifications, same height (32") as the 235/85 but a bit beefier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Escape said:
DAV P38 said:
[quote="rhino_ed":2g8u6d2g]Isn't 235 kinda skinny?
:D yes, but it's the highest tyre you can put on the p38 with no modification. In the future, I'll hope to put BFG MUD on 255/85/16 with modification, of course :oops:

regards
You can (just) get away with 265/75R16 without modifications, same height (32") as the 235/85 but a bit beefier.[/quote:2g8u6d2g]

I don't want to change my rims then I can't put 265 because my rims are in 7x16 and I like their !! the max I can it's 255/85/16 .... with modification !! I will see !!

regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
i was doing some research too on tires and getting ready for the snowstorms here, I was able to find "the biggest size tires of stock rims with EAS" but not with coil/spring conversion.

So, what is the biggest tire I can use on my STOCK 16" rims with COIL SPRING CONVERIONS, is 265/75/16 the absolute biggest I can squeeze in with my setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Gentlemen.

Maximum size tyre for P38's running 16x8 OEM or 16x7 DiscoII rims is metric 265/70R16 or 31x10.5R16 with EAS or coils chaps.

I remember the original factory fitment was 255/65HR16 for both the LSE Classic's and later P38 Range Rovers from the factory.

Cheerio,


Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
vinniman said:
I remember the original factory fitment was 255/65HR16 for both the LSE Classic's and later P38 Range Rovers from the factory.
Never heard of anything other than 235/70r16 or 205r16 on a Classic from the Factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Timbo.

Only the LSE model Classic had 255/65HR16 tyres fitted, it's listed as per the original Autocar UK mag. test drive from 1993 !

I used to love their articles & un-biased opinions to this day, suppose that's why they had two Aussie car journo's back then ?

Cheerio,


Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
vinniman said:
Timbo.

Only the LSE model Classic had 255/65HR16 tyres fitted, it's listed as per the original Autocar UK mag. test drive from 1993 !
Just looked that test up in the gold portfolio book, its on 205s.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top