RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if any BBS MSV2 owners can read there NAV fault codes.
My car is an 04 and I'm unable to read any codes from the nav system.

Would someone that owns one of these be kind enough to go out and read there fault codes from navigation1 and report back what happens?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
Have you checked the BBS forums?
Yes someone from BBS is looking into it. At the same time they think it may be something unique to my car.
So instead of rushing to the dealer and spending $75 to get my fault codes read I'd like to know if others are able to read the NAV system.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
rrtoadhall said:
Have you checked the BBS forums?
Yes someone from BBS is looking into it. At the same time they think it may be something unique to my car.
I've heard that excuse from BBS before. :roll: One time they insisted there had to be something wrong with my diagnostic plug to have blown a component in their "robust" MSV. When I received my unit back (after $100 dollars to ship it to them) the MSV started blowing my diagnostic fuse. Again they insisted that it was not their equipment, it had to be my rig. I ran a slew of voltage and amp tests for them. When I returned the tests, along with a notation that their equipment was blowing fuses on two other rigs, they simply disappeared and refused to return emails. They never did provide an explaination and I had to come up with my own work around to even use my crippled unit.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is why I'm asking for people who own a msv2 to please go out and try and read NAV1.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions and will give BBS the benifit of the doubt. But if others have the same issue then I would suspect the problem lies with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have checked and I also have problems.

The BBS staff is currently working on the problem

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Jope & Nsxxtreme,

Yea, As i have posted up on our own tech support Forums, there is quite patently something currently wrong with the pre 2005 Sat Nav software module. I can only apologise, even although i do not yet know the root cause of the problem.
I can however tell you a bit more about the sort of thing it could be and why we cant just fix it straight away which i can but hope helps.

The annoying thing about Software is that even a simple typo, that can be so easy to do, normally would not matter if a human were reading it, but computers are so pedantic it has to be absolutely and totally 100% correct.
Take as example your own Signature Jope, do you really have an L3222 TD6 !!!!
The human eye passes that almost without notice, probably sub conciously rectifying it as no doubt it did when you proof read what you wrote before hitting the submit button. But if a computer were refencing it, that's a different story.
For example if you did a search for L322 on this website, sorry but an L3222 would likely not be found. For those with an extra active sub concious there is an extra 2
In computer software its even worse, L322 is not equal to L322. because the latter has a full stop.

But i am not making excuses for me and my staff simply being human, a simple Typo like that would have shown up when the module was first written and tested, but there are far more complex and difficult to notice problems that can cause unforseen trouble when out in the field. A common one that i recall was with regard to VINS. A module that reads a VIN was developed on a car with a VIN of say 123456, when writing back you obviosly have 6 digits written back, that were handled one at a time in a loop that ran six times. It worked just fine when we developed and tested it and so it made it into the field. However later when someone used that module with a VIN of something like 012345, the Computer was stipping the leading zero, giving only 5 back to be written. This meant the first 5 were being offset by one and when the program got to the 6th loop, it naturally crashed because there was no 6th digit in the supplied data.

Perhaps we could or should have anticipated this, but would you have?
For sure however we already anticipate vast scenareos, but we are certainly not so arrogant as to believe one can not improve.

Of course the more vehicles we have at our disposal to test on the better it gets, but sadly therein lies the problem. The Nav ECU is only fitted to some higher spec cars, My own HSE certainly does not have one and if it did it would be useless, as maps don't yet cover my country.

So although testing for the problem, finding it and fixing it is undoubtedly going to be only a 10 minute job, we have to first find and arrange the lend of a suitibly equipped 02 to 05 L322 Range Rover.

Those philosiphers amongs you will of course fully appreciate that sods law means they are all around when you are not desperate to get your hands on one, and never when you are, but i am very well connected and am most respected in my own community, and i know for sure that one will come our way eventually with but a little patience. So i really am sorry i can't have that fixed for you by tomorrow, but i really am trying my best.

In respect of noting any such occurring problems like this, i would also like to take this opportunity to point out to anyone interested that we are as open and honest about such unfortunate things as anyone can possibly be. Although Nsxxtreme has posted his question here on RR.net in an attempt to get more input, which we also welcome and appreciate, He and Jope have also had and used the ability to freely discuss and ask for feedback directly on our own owners forum. By providing such a collaberative forum for our owners to co converse about any possible or suspected problems, we are clearly providing an environment that demonstartes that we as a company simply do not attempt to hide or cover up any such problems with our system from it's owners.

While on the subject, and i do apoligise for diverting your thread a moment Nsxxtreme;
Jope, i noted your IHK5 hevac query on the engine type info displayed, here and on the BBS forum. There is already a full and informative response on the thread you posted in the BBS owners forum for you, as you would expect, if you have not already read it.
In essence the IHK5 Hevac was simply a re used ECU from the BMW stock pile, The firmware (ECU's operating Software) was tweaked by them especially to suit the L322 and no doubt hard coded to dis regard the engine type setting in the EEPROM block. Likely this is used only in BMW vehicles. Therefore it does not affect the ECU at all, regardless of however that particular setting is. The default value of Diesel etc is therefore programmed in from the factory regardless of engine type and i of course double checked our softwares correct decoding of the settings when i first noted that on my own Petrol L322 many years ago.

Now we could have left that setting out, but then where exactly do we draw the line? for sure we would have to know what values were used and not, which we don't.
Unlike just about every other piece of kit out there, that does not appear to suffer this, mainly because their "settings" typically comprise of only a handful of read only data such as serial numbers etc, our mission and objective is to provide the most ultimate available capability for all owners of our equipment. Therefore for an EEPROM that provides 100 bytes of information, we prefer to decode every byte and bit of all 100 bytes to it's ultimate meaning and usage and then provide that information no matter how stupid or wrong it looks and seems.

So please try to appreciate that the real reason that you see an apparantly wrong looking setting on our equipment and not any other equipment, is just becausue thats how it really is set and other equipment just does not show you that setting at all.

I am truly sorry if i have bored anyone with my lengthy post, or if you feel reading it was a waste of your time, but i know a good number do like to have the opportunity to read something other than tit for tat banter, and i am also sorry if there is too much pro BBS comment, All i can say is that for better or worse i really do believe in our products, which is probably not really any bad thing these days :D

Warmest regards to all

Colin

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Colin,

The problem was resolved by Cabriela on your staff and I'm able to read my NAV. Which is all that mattered to me. The intent of this thread was to only help narrow the problem down.

Thanks for the explanation ;)

-Mike

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
Hi Colin,

The problem was resolved by Cabriela on your staff and I'm able to read my NAV. Which is all that mattered to me. The intent of this thread was to only help narrow the problem down.

-Mike
Gabriela is simply the best! :thumb: She is a great gal to work with. She is always very detailed and helpful. Too bad not everyone at BBS feels the need to quickly respond to emails and help folks out. :snooty:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Why am i always the last to know :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
Seems the problem was down to a small speed difference on the MSV-2, which runs substantially faster than its Lite and Pro predecessors.
Experience allowed her to judge where to add a few small delays in the software to produce the desired effect.
She is indeed a fine gal, no doubt and there is of course an appreciation thread for her on the BBS forum.

We had of course put the same delays in the same places on all the other 25 plus Modules for the L322, but it seems the nav needed just a little more than the rest. Sometimes its a pain having a system that works so fast you have to wait for the vehicle ECU's to keep up.
Of course the delays are conditional on being the MSV-2 only so this will not affect Lite or Pro owners

A retest on a vehicle as opportunity presents to fine tune it is still however on the to do list. :thumb:

Thanks for your patience and understanding guys, glad we could get the problem resolved quickly for you.
I notice you guys have quite an extensive list of modules fitted to your L322's
Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know if you find any other problem on these more exotic modules.

warmest Regards

Colin

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rrtoadhall said:
nsxxtreme said:
Hi Colin,

The problem was resolved by Gabriela on your staff and I'm able to read my NAV. Which is all that mattered to me. The intent of this thread was to only help narrow the problem down.

-Mike
Gabriela is simply the best! :thumb: She is a great gal to work with. She is always very detailed and helpful. Too bad not everyone at BBS feels the need to quickly respond to emails and help folks out. :snooty:
Thanks for catching my misspelling of her name and giving the proper credit :thumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
No worries Mike
You should hear what i call her most mornings :D
And i always give credit where it is truly due.

Actually we have a really great working and social relationship, BBS is really far more a family of freinds than a company, and me and Gabi certainly go back a very long way, even before the first Rovacom Lite was introduced.
Of course it strictly that and i am just as much freinds with their hubbies as much as they are with my wife, but at least 2 or 3 times a year, totally out of the blue, i do make the effort to buy all our female staff a big bunch of flowers.

This afternoon, me and Gabi went out together on a field trip to a mate of mines in the company Van (think True Lies) and we worked on a RRS Super Charged. We managed to add and test quite a bit in respect of the Adaptive Cruise Controls forward facing radar sensor and the Adaptive front lighting system. So it was quite productive anyway, but as i Commented to Gabi, also there my mate had an 03 HSE L322 complete with Sat Nav.

What was that i was saying that when you really need one you can't find one, but as soon as you ain't looking so much they just pop up everywhere !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts