RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, talking about mpg and a Range Rover is worthless at best. If you want mpg, get something different. Consequently I have paid no attention to the mpg on my 09 HSE but earlier in the week, I had to drive 1000 miles in one day on Interstate 10. I set the cruise at 75 and was shocked to find that I averaged 22.4 mpg. I did do the math to make sure the computer wasn't lying. My G55 got 15 mpg at best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Nothing wrong with the topic at all as long as expectations are reasonable :)

I have never approached that sort of MPG. 19 was the best I have done on an extended highway trip (in the winter) without AC. I do average 18 on the highway typically.

These trucks are so heavy and so boxy but these are two things that I really like about them. That is why I have the BP Visa Card!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
luxury1 said:
That is why I have the BP Visa Card!!!
And Tony says thank you for that. Rep Barton does too - in Tony's name. :dance:

Seriously, the gas versions are, as both of you have said, not frugal. With our TD6, on a run such as texige described (cruise at 75, all hwy) I can easily approach 30mpg.

The reason we went to diesel RR's in the first place was that, one day on a longer drive, my wife calculated that with what we would save by driving a diesel - 20% better mileage and 20% lower fuel costs here in Europe - we could finance a slightly used diesel RR outright and still keep the V8. So we did.

Despite the higher cost of diesel in the US, I still don't get why LR doesn't bring in the TDV8. What a great car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Dudes.

Try this one, my Rangie Classic on the last big rural highway run sitting at 70mph [113km/h] last year achieved 27 miles per imperial gallon(10ltr's/100km's) ! !

That's just over 23 miles per U.S. gal { 1 U.S. gal = 3.785 ltr's } which is back to factory specifications and does about 18 Imperial/15 U.S. gal around town too ?

Considering this is a 23+ year old 'vintage' vehicle running the venerable 3.5 efi Rover V8 and full-time four wheel drive - this is a testament to our "fourbears".

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately we don't get the diesel in the US however 22.4 for a big gas engine SUV is not bad. I drove to Santa Fe and back at the same speed 15 years ago in a 525 BMW and only got 21.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
texige said:
Unfortunately we don't get the diesel in the US however 22.4 for a big gas engine SUV is not bad. I drove to Santa Fe and back at the same speed 15 years ago in a 525 BMW and only got 21.
I know - I form MD. I was just gloating a little :oops:
8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
texige said:
I had to drive 1000 miles in one day on Interstate 10. I set the cruise at 75 and was shocked to find that I averaged 22.4 mpg.
Its the thousand mile part that's done it.
You get out onto the open road and sit at 75mph. You're not constantly accelerating back up to 75mph from junctions or town speeds.

I reckon the tdv8 will be sold in the states eventually. Its a cracking engine, the new 3.0td6 is also rather good.

Here's a diesel RR economy picture just to tease..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Doing a round robin tour from Denver back to Denver through Kremming I got 18. This involves going up and down 6000 feet several times. I'm amazed, the same route with my Supercharged RRS would gotten me about 12-14
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
On our 1600 mile trip from Houston, TX area to Frederick, Md (with some site seeing stop offs) we averaged 19.x mpg with most of the trip above 80mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
call me mad but im one of those guys that cruises at between 56-60 mph on the motorway and my computer says im getting 34mpg and my fuel tank says ive got 600+ miles in the tank :dance: :dance: :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
i gore said:
call me mad but im one of those guys that cruises at between 56-60 mph on the motorway and my computer says im getting 34mpg and my fuel tank says ive got 600+ miles in the tank :dance: :dance: :dance:
Please stay in the right lane to let me go by. Opps left, sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
ChipN said:
i gore said:
call me mad but im one of those guys that cruises at between 56-60 mph on the motorway and my computer says im getting 34mpg and my fuel tank says ive got 600+ miles in the tank :dance: :dance: :dance:
Please stay in the right lane to let me go by. Opps left, sorry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top