RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Holley Sniper TBI EFI system instead of the original carbs on my 84 RRC 3.5. All working great and the system has a little display with a whole bunch of readouts, one of them is 'lbs of fuel per hour'. I had a fairly long drive on Texas flatlands with various speeds so I decided would it not be fun to records the steady lbs/hour for a bunch of different steady speeds? If anything I could use it to check for tuning improvements.

Since LBS of fuel can be translated to USGAL per hours and speed is Miles per hour obviously it is not particularly difficult to calculate MPG. I am recording about 18-20 MPG(US) between fuelling so actually seems to be fairly accurate. Doing some research and (in America) 18-20 MPG (US) is in fact fairly average for an SUV. Most people though would have more power to play with and probably drive more aggressively as well..

Fuel consumption chart.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What that work on a 92'? If so, how did you install it?
So it could be fitted on an 92, but if you have EFI already (which I believe you do) the benefits will be minimal, The Throttle Body EFI systems are really to replace a carburetor and improve driveability. It is also good fun just to play with. To fit it you basically need get a Rover V8 intake header that allows you to fit the Throttle Body, then you need to work on your air intake (pancake style is easiest). You need to check your fuel pressure and pump and most importantly your ignition needs to be either integrated with the TB EFI system (tricky on a Rover v8) or stand alone (mech and vac advance). Cost will be approx $1500.

MPI (multipoint injection) which you should have is typically better with more control, but poor state of tune can cause it to run poorly.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
362 Posts
So it could be fitted on an 92, but if you have EFI already (which I believe you do) the benefits will be minimal, The Throttle Body EFI systems are really to replace a carburetor and improve driveability. It is also good fun just to play with. To fit it you basically need get a Rover V8 intake header that allows you to fit the Throttle Body, then you need to work on your air intake (pancake style is easiest). You need to check your fuel pressure and pump and most importantly your ignition needs to be either integrated with the TB EFI system (tricky on a Rover v8) or stand alone (mech and vac advance). Cost will be approx $1500.

MPI (multipoint injection) which you should have is typically better with more control, but poor state of tune can cause it to run poorly.
Ignition on factory-EFI rovers is completely separate, the EFI computer just gets one or two things from the coil and then works on its own.

With a new intake manifold this is basically plug and play, more similar to a carb swap than anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts