I thought the entire state of AK was basically offroading? :D

Some things I've heard people doing in AK, if you're looking for some ideas:
1. caribou hunting
2. crab fishing
3. heli-skiing
4. salmon fishing
5. drinking
6. panning for gold
7. renting a bear costume and scaring hikers (usually after doing #5)
8. getting pregnant out of wedlock (also usually after #5)
9. watching Russians (apparently you can see Russia from AK)

Seriously that's quite a change TX to AK, good luck with the move!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you go to live through the winter you will need;
A block heater installed in one of the freeze-out plugs in the block
or
A circulating coolant heater (preferred) installed in the radiator line (professionally installed)

A battery heat plate
and Suggested a Battery blanket
A pair of "Bunny Boots" boots with an air jacket around the boot for outdoor survival.
A Heavy Parka with a Wolf Ruff ( the fury thing around your face). Don't get synthetic it will freeze to you. Wolf will not freeze. It is what the Army uses.

Find a Range Rover dealer up there and determine what to use in the diffs. (90 wt is hard at -40)
and what weight winter oil to use. We used 0 weight.

Realize that your engine will probably start burning oil after the first winter due to lack of oil at start up.

I spent 2 years just 100 miles south of Fairbanks. No one had a new car, because they were shot after one year of -40 to -70 temperatures. All buildings have plug-ins available to keep the car engine coolant and batteries warm. Still; the tires are hard and frozen flat on the bottom ( round out after a few miles), The trany and power steering fluids was like a slushy, The diff's felt like they were locked, the seats cracked and so on.

If you can park in a heated garage you have a chance.
As for things to do, get a dirt bike for the summer and just go. Fish, hunt whatever. For some reason in the summer with the sun up almost all the time, you don't need much sleep. For the winter in Anchorage, get a snow mobile, further north, above the Alaska range (Fairbanks area) just start drinking about Oct. 1 and quit about May 15.

Probably best to leave your RRS state side if you are going to live there over a winter and will be coming back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hahaha come on.... -40 isn't too bad. I live on mid-northern Alberta and we get -40 easily in the winter. I use to work in the oil patch up north and there we use to get -50 celcius and we had no problems with our cars. Just plug it in if you don't drive your truck for a while. I use to drive an escalade up there and never had any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I live in Alaska Anchorage for about 7 years, and never had issue with any of my ca in the winter..

don't listen to other WHO never been to AK..

you don't need to worry about anything..

THere are plenty places to go for off-roading, but specific location that I have in my head..

Good Lunch and enjoy the outdoor sport

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
baccocafe said:
I live in Alaska Anchorage for about 7 years, and never had issue with any of my ca in the winter..

don't listen to other WHO never been to AK..

you don't need to worry about anything..

THere are plenty places to go for off-roading, but specific location that I have in my head..

Good Lunch and enjoy the outdoor sport
bacco,
Do you think he should get a set of moose bars for the RRS? I hear they can do a lot of damage if you hit one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the ideas guys! Drinking will definitely be an option! I've already started looking for a bear costume....I'm just like that, I will actually try it. I'm in the military so all the warm weather gear for me will be provided by them, so no worries about that. I'm not too worried about the Rover. I'm sure it can handle the weather with a few mods mentioned above. And as far as the moose bars go....DEFINITELY going that route. I think they would be sexy on it!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Cry? Panic? Apply for the annual federal AK resident 'payment'?

Watching the Russians... I like that one. Maybe you can fire up the M134 and go wolf hunting in your Blackhawk?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to apply for the money! That's a given lol So I was thinking too that the current wheel/tire set up will not work. So I'm going to go back to my factory 19's and put a good all weather/snow tire. Any suggestions on a good all around tire for this climate?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Have you looked into Nokians - these are built by the Swedes and tested on winter tracks. Its the only W rater winter tire I know. I've tried it in the CO snow and it handled well - not sure how to compare that to AK. A very quiet tire, handled great in dry and wet weather and stopped well on slick snow\ice roads as well as stop and go with minimal traction loss. You may need to check the specs on most tires if they can handle the cold weather up there, to ensure the tire compund does not harden up in the cold. I believe someone on this forum is selling a set of the WRG2's - check out the For Sale forum

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1189 ... okian+WRG2
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1188 ... okian%20WR

Might want to watch Ice-Road truckers to see how they winterize their trucks ....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well,, you can apply for State dividend after 1 year residency.. so get DL as soon as possible.

and you or they.. (Alaskan) don't run all weather or season tires... you use your summer wheels and tires and studded for winter...

no matter how good they are.. you will slide.. and you will freak out... just lean how to drive in the snow.. OPPSs..... ICE.!

first snow comes around october and it melts quickly.. and at night.. i will freeze.. and stay frozen all winter long.. until April or March if you are lucky...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts