Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think so, but got a new job in SF and have a full extra set of rims and Nokians - is it overkill for northern Cali? They're basically brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If you are into skiing and winter sports and have a place to store them off season, then I would keep them and use them. Yes, you won't need them day to day in SF, but if you do go skiing several time in Dec/Jan/Feb it might make sense to have winter tires on for those 3 months.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
If you work and live in SF proper it would be a rarity to need them. If you are spending anytime in the East Bay your chances are a little higher for use. As MDX said space may be an issue though. Unless you use them for a coffee table in the off season. :mrgreen:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
459 Posts
It doesn't snow in SF, so no - you will not need them. And in the East Bay... I heard they got a dusting. You may only want to keep the set if you're planning on driving up to Tahoe to ski.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nope, you won't need winter tires for driving anywhere in the area. If you plan on going skiing in the mountains, then I'd keep them and switch when needed.
I rarely gets below 30 here, and maybe only for 2 weeks out of the year.

BTW, I moved out here from NJ almost 10 years ago and still enjoy living out here. If you're moving from the tri-state area, it's going to take some time to adjust to the slower pace of life out here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! I do plan to ski/snowboard but I'd assume the all seasons they gave me should be good for the weekend trips rather than 6-8months I normally run winters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recommend the full winter setup...from my experience they drive fine in the city but are a godsend in the snow. I've been doing the Winter the full summer swap for years now. If you have space to hold the tires, I'd do it, but space is hard to come by in the city.

I go up every moment I can so I drive with Winters around SF from November to June usually. If you are into backcountry skiing, the high mountain passes like Sonora or Tioga will open end of April - July 4 (depending if a big snow year), and they may come in handy...just helps me sleep at night to keep the winters on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.