RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 03 Range Rover, while driving I've been smelling a burnt oil smell. After parking the car I've noticed oil leaking from under the passenger side of the vehicle. Upon further inspection I've noticed some oil coming from on top of the motor under a valve cover gasket on the passenger side of car. Has any one else had this problem? Or any input on whether this is a simple fix or a huge problem?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
the oil leak can be from either the cam covers and or the PVC system drain back or a frozen PVC system .
For the cam covers you can remove the bolts and place a metal sealing washer that fits under the head of the bolt then install it this will offer more clamping to the gasket and possibly seal it or fit new gaskets and add the sealing washers to the bolts with new gaskets, NAPA should have these washers they are aluminum.

For the PVC oil leaks check the oil return line to the oil pan on the right hand side of the pan near where the block meets the transmission, there is a short rubber hose thats been spliced into the metal drain line and the hose gets soft and then will leak a new piece of thick wall vacuum line will work and oil may run out when the old line is removed.

For a frozen PVC system this entails replacement of the PVC venting plate attached to the rear of the intake manifold found on the BMW M62 engine,
if this plate is bad it will prevent the vapors from bleeding off then the engine will become pressurized and then this will cause oil to blow out of various gaskets including the cam covers.
When this plate is replaced you would also replace the 2 larger hoses that vent to the engine as they usually become soft and crumble, also replace the drain back short mentioned earlier

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Personally, I would just replace the gaskets if they are leaking. They don't cost much and it is not that hard of a job besides making sure you keep debris out of the engine, etc, etc... there is potential for many bad things to happen if not careful, but it isn't *technically* hard. Putting extra pressure on the gasket especially if uneven pressure from just adding an extra washer to one bolt, etc, may exacerbate the issue.

Make sure you are fixing the right problem though, inspect the PCV system to make sure it is in good shape, if not, you may blow out your new valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Also, a common cause of repeated failures of the valve cover gaskets on these M62 engines is the paint on the covers. It is poor quality and over time bubbles up and makes an uneven surface which doesn't seal properly. I'm not even sure why they bothered to paint the mating surface at all, but when I replaced mine, I spent a while carefully sanding it smooth and cleaning all the surfaces.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
a few notes to above,
install the sealing washers on all of the bolts,
use Hondabond 4 in the groove on the cam cover prior to fitting the new gasket,
if the surfaces are not totally smooth

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would be wary of using sealant all around the cover and in the groove, you only need a couple *small* dabs on the half moons and at the joints were the timing cover bolts on. I've seen many cases of people putting crap on there and then it squeezes out and hardens and eventually breaks off inside the engine :shock:

If the surface is not smooth, just make it smooth instead of masking the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks to me like the oil is coming from the valve covers and running down onto the exhaust. So maybe its the pcv valve thats bad and pressurizing the engine like you mentioned..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It could be the PCV, or you may just need to replace the valve cover gaskets. They get old and leak eventually even if you don't have PCV issues. You should check the PCV though so you know if you need to replace stuff there as well.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
...I would just replace the gaskets if they are leaking...
I agree 99%. The 1% is that "if" part. I would wager boxcars to boxtops that the valve cover gaskets are certainly leaking. Considering the age of your RR, the high temps of the engine over the years, and that the gaskets are of "superior German manufacture" (which means they're great other than they will fail miserably, and sooner than most American-made products of the same type), and the fact that when I changed mine, they crumbled like brittle, aged plastic.

Tightening the covers is an age-old waste of time. I've tried it myself over the decades to avoid replacing gaskets on many engines. Unfortunately, I don't recall one time that it helped.

Unfortunately, the only options you have are Victor Reintz or Geoetz gaskets. I think I went with Victor Reintz.
If FelPro made the gaskets for our vehicle of choice, I'd have gone with that in a New York minute.

Another possible leak area is the from "timing cover" gaskets. They could be leaking down & back on to your exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would anyone be able to let me know how long replacing these gaskets should take. I have been charged for 8 hours labour but some say its only a 4 hour job. Would be good to hear from anyone who has actually done the job. Cheers

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
...I have been charged for 8 hours labour but some say its only a 4 hour job. ...
4 hours should be plenty, particularly for a pro.
But what else did the mechanic do? Hopefully 8 hrs includes more than just the gasket change. Maybe they re-finisihed the camshaft covers too? Or front upper cam chain cover gaskets?

·
Registered
31 Posts
4 hours should be plenty, particularly for a pro.
But what else did the mechanic do? Hopefully 8 hrs includes more than just the gasket change. Maybe they re-finisihed the camshaft covers too? Or front upper cam chain cover gaskets?
The invoice doesnt say anything other than replace the gaskets, However this guy is a crook as he then went on to say he test drove the car after doing the gaskets and the oil light came on and the engine failed so I would need a replacement engine. On checking he had deliberately left off a coil plug to make the engine run bad in the hope that I would sell him my Range Rover at a very low price so he could then make a massive profit at my expense. Needless to say I will be taking this further but its good to know the 8 hour labour charge is excessive as well, will look good as evidence.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If only changing the gaskets 4 hours is plenty. I changed my own and it was not hard.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I did a write up when I changed all , so have a look for that.
I can check later what book time os on the gaskets too. Shady wankers like that totally piss me off

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Book time to replace both valve cover gaskets is 2.5hrs

Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts