64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
Need to do this myself. I found this...

rangerovers.net/repairdetails/misc.HTML

Scroll down till you find "Engine Mount Replacement". I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts
that thread seems about right too be fair, just watch the clearance on the back of the engine (motor) and the bulkhead (firewall?) as you lift, things can get quite tight in there :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where is the safest place on the bottom of the engine, to raise it with a car jack, without damaging the oil pan or any other area?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a piece of wood under the oil pan and put the jack underneath that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was considering to do this, but was told by someone at Atlantic British that I could crush the oil pan, and the safest place to raise the engine at the crankshaft, but how does one do that? The RAVE manual says to use an engine hoist, and lift the engine from the top

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It's not hard to do. I've done it a number of times. Just use a 17 or 18mm wrench and undo the nuts on both sides.

Then use a block of wood between the oil pan and a jack. Or use an engine hoist to lift the engine up. Pop out the old ones then pop in the new ones.

It's a tight fit and pretty frustrating. But it can be done.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Removing the exhaust manifolds makes it a lot easier as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My concern is damage that I may cause to the sump Should I fashion a wood block that goes completely under the back area of the sump, and under the area the engine meets the transmission?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The oil pan is pretty beefy
Shouldn't be a problem lifting it there
Or the crank pulley
Just have it loose first or don't over lift
Or take it to a shop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts