Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and stop me wasting time and money.
Right the problem...
I have a 2003 range rover l322 4.4 petrol with the 5hp24 gearbox.
When I go into drive and try to go it jumps/jerks/bangs forward into 1st and goes into failsafe prog.
If I go into low range it has a small thud and then drives fine in low.
Back to high range it only happens going from standstill to 1st, if i use manual/sport it works fine if i skip 1st to get going,i if I go into manual mode and select 2nd and drive off, then select auto it works fine even going down to 1st from 2nd and back, but if I come to a full stop the same problem.

I havn't checked oil level yet, I do have oil and filter on order though, I also have allcomms on order so no codes yet.

I have done a lot of research but not found anything with the same symptoms. Some close but not quite.
I originally thought valve body but the more I research the less I'm sure...maybe a bad clutch? If so which?

I'm very hands on and do all my own car work so am not afraid to get dirty and pull things apart, I would just like some direction... like is an oil change likely to help at all? As this oil isn't cheap specially if I'm gonna be opening it up again and dumping it again.

Any help/guidance would be great.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Klf4000,
Thanks for the reply.
What's makes you say that? Experience with this problems? And if so which bearing? I'm guessing the one which is associated with 1st gear.
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bit of an update, I drained the oil and took the sump off.
The oil stunk, very dark and sludgy at bottom of pan.
The magnets had quite a lot of metal on the (don't know what usual where amount is).
The bit I did expect was the filter had an extra hole in it about thumb size, looks as if it has blown outwards as plastic is bent down.
I'll attach pictures.
Any ideas?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,411 Posts
It could be that the upper valve block has cracked. This allows leakage from the circuit between shift valve 1 and the F brake valve (KV-F) which would normally apply the F brake in Park and Neutral. The leakage can cause the mains pressure to drop when the engine is at idle as the pump can’t keep up. With ‘D’ selected, as soon as you raise the engine speed the increase in pump flow generates sufficient pressure to engage (usually with a bang) the A clutch for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear.

Incidentally, in high range it shouldn’t be possible to select any gear other than 1[SUP]st[/SUP], manually, when stationary. Although the display may show the gears incrementing upwards as the lever is moved you’ll notice that this is only momentary until the controller realises it should be ignoring you and the display reverts back to ‘1’. In low range you can manually select 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] & 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gears from standstill and strangely the TD6 models with the GM transmission will allow 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to be engaged for pull away from rest, but not the 5HP24. The transmission controller can make the decision to pull away in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear e.g. if it senses wheel slip in snow, but the driver isn’t allowed to decide :???:

Anyway, it’s possibly worth dropping the valve body assembly from the transmission to see if the upper valve block is cracked in the usual place.

Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Phil, even though your diagnosis isn't good.
I got the filter and valve body off today, no crack in valve body.
The hole in the filter is actually right below the intake hole to the gearbox, it looks as though the filter has been blocked and the suction from the gearbox pump has been strong enough to suck the plastic up to the hole deforming the filter and ripping through the plastic.
Resulting in unfiltered oil passing through the gearbox along with bits of plastic.

Looks like gearbox out and strip down, fun fun.

With The symptoms I have ie from standstill to drive then jerking what is likely to have gone in gearbox?

Also Phil you m3ntion I shouldn't be able to start off in 2nd manually in high range...strange because that's exactly how I could get it going without jerking.

Adam

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,411 Posts
I haven’t seen an issue like that before. With that amount of debris on the magnets, and a blocked filter, clearly you need to uncover exactly what’s generating all that debris. I imagine that it’s going to be pretty obvious when you get the transmission apart. The torque converter’s going to be full of the stuff too.

Regarding the manual gear selection from stationary, it could be that there’s an issue with the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear one-way clutch (sprag) so when you select ‘2[SUP]nd[/SUP]’ gear manually it’s actually just engaging first but, in manual mode, the F-brake is engaged (to provide engine braking) which by-passes the faulty sprag and provides drive. Anyway, all should become clear when you have it dismantled.

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts