RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
I tried to get my 01 P38 inspected and it fails emissions because NONE of the monitors will get ready! I've driven it thousands of miles and no change!

Is there a computer that runs all the monitors? Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
With the newer testing stations it refers to any of the monitored engine/emmission systems plus the BeCM for mileage and VIN. If any one of these systems has been reset, battery disconnected, fuse pulled etc there is a number of drive cycles that must be completed before the testing stations will accept that it is ready for monitoring.

As far as your individual rig there simply isn;t enough information or accurate terminology for us to help you. I would doubt that "none" of your systems are ready. if none of them can be accessed then it would most likely be a port issue such as corrosion or diagnostic fuse being blown.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
186 Posts
the trick I use on my 30th is to reset codes, drive it about 70 miles distance, no more or less, do one cold start and get it up to op temp on highway, then retest it.

pulled it off last 3 yrs in NH.. I think in MA, you can have one monitor fail... I know a few shops nar boston than can get OBD2 cars into readiness for long enough to legally get a sticker hehe

stupid system, hippie govt lol useless

hows ur 30th?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the trick I use on my 30th is to reset codes, drive it about 70 miles distance, no more or less, do one cold start and get it up to op temp on highway, then retest it.

pulled it off last 3 yrs in NH.. I think in MA, you can have one monitor fail... I know a few shops nar boston than can get OBD2 cars into readiness for long enough to legally get a sticker hehe

stupid system, hippie govt lol useless

hows ur 30th?
Hey! So I reset the codes, drive 70 miles on the highway, and reset it while i'm driving? If that doesn't work what are the names of the shops that can get it to readiness mode for an inspection!?!?

My car is perfect minus this issue!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the newer testing stations it refers to any of the monitored engine/emmission systems plus the BeCM for mileage and VIN. If any one of these systems has been reset, battery disconnected, fuse pulled etc there is a number of drive cycles that must be completed before the testing stations will accept that it is ready for monitoring.

As far as your individual rig there simply isn;t enough information or accurate terminology for us to help you. I would doubt that "none" of your systems are ready. if none of them can be accessed then it would most likely be a port issue such as corrosion or diagnostic fuse being blown.
What would be "accurate terminology"? Where would the diagnostic fuse be located? The OBD2 connects, but all the monitors flash as if they aren't "ready"

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 70 mile trick worked in NH... I went back after 45 miles, system was not ready. Eventually, after 200 miles, my CEL came back on.. after I got my sticker hehe

I can't list shops on here.. I've used shops good at tricking Audi OBD systems...

Delete your codes, and see how long it takes for them to come back on... then see if you can beat the system like I did.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
The OBD2 connects, but all the monitors flash as if they aren't "ready"
Your phrase "monitors" makes no sense to me or the tech I asked yesterday. What is actually not ready? What actual SYSTEM is not ready? OBD is pretty basic and simple. You can connect or you can't. If they can connect then they need to tell you EXACTLY what the issue is. You have mentioned resetting codes/them coming back. Okay, what codes do you have? That would be a big flag waving and pointing towards any issue that needs to be addressed. If you have no codes then there is nothing to reset unless you are messing around with adaptive values.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It must be a term we use in the northeast. Monitors refer to the o2 sensors and catalytic convertor monitor that tell the obII if the car passes emissions.

The car has no lights other than ABS and TC. The only codes she spits out are P1590 and P0734

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
1590 is ABS related and 0734 is usually transmission/speed related so clearing those will have no impact on your emissions issue. P38s have no direct catalyst "monitor" like some cars although we do have downstream O2 sensors that pretty much verify that the upstream sensors are doing their job. What equipment are you using for your codes? Are you able to read live data?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just had to get e tested a 2001 Range Rover that came into my shop with 30 missfire codes and a removed MIL bulb courtesy another technician.

On clearing the code(s) and doing the needed work, you will have to put the vehicle through the drive cycle that is outlined on RAVE (or the factory manual) section 17 Emissions.

The vehicle should then be ready for emissions testing.

Driving it around for a while without knowing what the correct cycle required until the vehicle's "ready"is a bit of a crap shoot, you may get lucky or you may not.

You could also equip yourself with one of the new type OBD II scanners that have an emissions ready indicator feature.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great! Thanks! So I see there are 4 drive cycles. I think I have 3 monitors running now, as per my OBD2. Do I have to go through all the drive cycles for all the monitors to come on again? Do I have to do them one right after the other or can I wait a few days in-between?

Thanks!
Fred

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
Can we loose the phrase "monitors" and use proper terms so we can help you? Once again you are using that term but you are not saying what is actually "running". If you have 3 "monitors" running, are you talking about 02 sensors this time? If so your rig has 4 02 sensors which means one is not operating thus you should have an error code. If you are talking about something else we are not mind readers. Of course you didn't answer the above questions so we are still in the dark about what on earth you are talking about.

·
Registered
139 Posts
..maybe he calling sensors 'monitors' because they kind a 'monitoring' specific car function..but in that case it should be said 'O2 monitor' or something like that, what is easy to grasp.. :) without it, it does look a little bit confusing :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just because you don't understand the term "monitors" doesn't mean it's not correct. I have attached a picture from my latest inspection report. What you do insistently called sensors are indeed called monitors in Massachusetts. I will continue calling them monitors.

image.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
I am all for someone to disagree if they can show supporting info. Nowhere in your postings have you said what was actually not ready until the above photo. You also didn't answer the questions above about being able to actually connect and retrieve live info or what kind of equipment you were using to clear codes. Leaving fellow members to play guessing games about what is "not ready" instead of just telling us up front is of absolutely no help to anyone. For instance you said you have 3 "monitors running now". If we were to follow your claim that "monitor" meant o2 sensor then you would be one "monitor" short since there are 4 o2 sensors.

However I still do not see where you have 3 "monitors running now". I see where you have 3 that are "not supported". These make sense as we no not have a catalyst heater, a separate A/C circuit in reference to emissions or an electronic EGR system.

From the top:
We do not have an actual catalyst monitor. As noted above the downstream o2 sensors handle this, kind of. If these were out of range you would have an error code.
The evap system is a simple solenoid. Again, if non operational you would have an error code.
SAS may or may not be installed on a 2001. Several cars have been flagged as having the SAS system even though it was never installed. Again, if non operational you would have an error code.
o2s and o2 heaters are capable of posting individual codes with any hint of error.

Are you able to connect with any equipment and access live data? This was asked earlier for a very important reason. If you can access live data then you have full communication with all systems... errr "monitors" and it is a matter of drives cycles needing to be tripped as completed. If you can't access live data you have a communication issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.