RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in my 88, the back seats are almost pristeen, look brand new. the front seats have no rips, holes, or tears, but have that surface "cracking" thing going on!

I assume i need to recondition - and put moisture back into the leather, and once I do that, I might end up re-dying to cover the crazing? anyone dealt with this? recomended products / procedures?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
There are piles of products on the market. I avoid paste products because they are messy and creams don't penetrate very well. For over 30 years the only thing I use on any leather is mink oil. Not the mink oil paste, the actual oil. On really dry leathers it take 2 or 3 applications but there is almost no clean up or buffing needed. The key is to have a nice warm interior, the hotter the better. In winter I use a space heater. In summer I park cars out in the sun with the windows up. Saturate the actual leather areas and let it sit for a few hours. if you see dry spots, reapply. It's a slow process but in the end the leather is once again soft, supple and you just wipe any excess mink oil off with a shop towel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mink oil can darken leather as well. I use Mother's California Gold for routine maintenance but I've never tried to bring back something really old with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last year, I posted on the "What did you do to your Rover today?" thread. I cleaned my seats, and applied Bag Balm:
BagBalmpic.jpg

My plan was to treat the leather with this stuff a few times over several months, but I got sidetracked with major engine work and have not reapplied it. But, after one treatment, it *really* seemed to help the leather - brought a shine to it and although it did not soften up the leather, I think it would over time, if one diligently applied it over the course of 3 or 4 months.

SMD

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
You do know that bag balm is an antiseptic in a petroleum base, a little bit of lanolin and mercury. So you are pretty much smearing vaseline and wool wax tainted with mercury on your seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts