RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought the Mobi-Lize so I would never have to worry about a dead BECM keeping me from running my Range Rover.

From Labtronx Website..http://www.labtronx.com.au/mobi-lize.htm

"MOBI-LIZE bypasses the troublesome immobilisation system on vehicles using the GEMS engine management system (P38 Range Rover, etc). The engine can be started and will run even if the BECM is in alarm, dead or even removed from the vehicle."

Ok so now I have repaired my BECM (in a previous post), and removed the shift interlock so I can move out of park with dead BECM. The only other thing I could think of, to increase the reliability of my rig, was to get the Mobi-Lize. I ordered it and it was delivered. I have not installed it yet, I have seen in previous posts that Bolt had used this device successfully and it was somewhat easy to install.

My question is after I introduce the Mobi-Lize to my GEMS ECU and can run my Range Rover even without a BECM, can I then use the same ECU to Mobi-Lize any other GEMS based P38 providing, of course, I have the keys?

Scenario is Craigslist budget P38 with a good engine but bad BECM or locked out BECM that is available for a good price ~$1000. Generally the problem is getting said "broken" Rangie home without a tow meaning lots of $$$ and a big hassle.

What do you guys think...folly or might actually work...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hmmmm, Interesting idea, and it should be possible to do, however as you will need the Mobilize on the bargain P-38, why not just get good at installing, and bring another Mobilize with you?
Whip it in and drive away!
Of course, with the proper tool to do the learning bit.......
It is a bit hazy now as it has been a couple of years, but I believe we did away with the extra push button it recommended and used the signal from the key switch to mimic the push button. it made for an easier install.
Check with the manufacturer to see if he has any suggestions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobi-Lize follow up...
So I bought the Mobi-Lize (Mobi4) about 2 years ago, and have never installed it because my RR was always behaving and never really got around to it because something else was always more important. So, you guessed it, my wife was driving the RR because it was snowing and wanted the all wheel drive. She calls me and says I'm parked by the Old Navy and the Range Rover says keycode lockout. Ok, hang on, I get the Nanocom and go to do a security resync and have it work its magic...didn't work.

Tried it several times, no go. Tried to enter the EKA code, evidently 1515 is not my EKA code and I have the timeout issue. Leave the RR in the lot and go home. Come back 2 hours later and try my spare key...success! Drive it home and install my Mobi4 thats been sitting in a drawer in my garage and it worked.

Now to my real question, I have 4 keys, 2 with working fobs and 2 valet keys. Now that the Mobi4 is in and working, the only thing the fobs do is to unlock the doors and move my seat and mirrors to a preset location..which I dont really care about. Does the Mobi4 essentially do away with the need for the Fob? and if so, it seems $99 for the Mobi4 is cheaper than trying to source the impossible to get FOB for crazy money and it does away with worrying about any lockdown issues and leaving me, or my wife stranded.

What does the forum say?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I don't think so. The other day I was on Craigslist looking for a parts car, it was a year 2000 with roof rack and brush guard, i thought I would use the Mobi4 on it, no go, the device is suitable only on the GEMS and is not workable on the Thor based engine management....

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you were trying to enter the EKA while keycode lockout was on the display, it wouldn't have worked either through the door lock or Nanocom.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
We are all patiently awaiting the arrival of the Thor mobi device.............. I wonder when someone will build it?
For Gems owners, no fob will be no problem for the rest of us??......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts