RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to renew all the transmission/axle fluids this weekend, and wondered if anyone has any tips or warnings. On the 'to-do' list:

1. Front and Rear differentials
2. Auto-gearbox
3. Transfer case

I've read that it's best to check you can get the fill holes open before draining the fluid out. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
374 Posts
best to check you can get the fill holes open before draining the fluid out
You said it :thumb: , other than being a bit messy, it's a fairly easy job. I bought one of the hand pumps that screw on top of the oil container for ease of filling the diffs.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
I'm note sure if you intend to do the transmission filter, but according to this thread it sounds like a right mission: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36870

I was going to do it myself, but I might take it to the ZF agent down here in NZ.

·
Registered
153 Posts
RhinoRange02 said:
best to check you can get the fill holes open before draining the fluid out
You said it :thumb: , other than being a bit messy, it's a fairly easy job. I bought one of the hand pumps that screw on top of the oil container for ease of filling the diffs.
I did the same. The pump certainly helps.

Colin

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have another question regarding this. The owners manual and the Haynes manual have widely differing values on how much ATF is needed for both the transmission and the transfer case.

Haynes manual:
Transmission 2.6 litres
T-Case 3.1 litres

Owners Manual
Transmission 9.1 litres
T-Case 2.1 litres

Does anyone know which of these is correct. For both the transfer case and transmission can I just fill up to the fill hole, or do I run the risk of overfilling?

Thanks,
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts