RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been doing some looking around re: converting our 2005 from air to springs. Obviously, the vehicle will not be able to go to access or off road height but, for our purposes, that is ok. Talked to a local shop who works on LR's and the mechanic can do it, however, he has no idea about the error light/messages as that is something he is not able to fix. For the heck of it I talked to our local LR dealer who stated they would never do convert the current models.

Has anyone done the conversion? If so, any issues/problems? Do you like it? Ride relatively the same or drastic differences? From a longterm perspective; it is definitely cost-effective but I presume by converting that could bring other bugs...

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I investigated this, I looked at the Atlantic British Conversion kit that has the EAS Override module - the basic kit is here: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L322SRK_C.cfm

I can't find the "Advanced Kit" that has the override module and I can bet why. I bet the Override module was vaporware and that it never got fully sorted.

The EAS is tied into the ABS and Traction Control and Hill Descent Control and a host of other computers that talk back and forth accross the CANBUS. I can't imagine that a simple conversion WOULDN'T totally screw up something else.

My reccomendation is to keep the EAS, but an EAS Buddy for simple diagnostic of EAS faults - learn about the system and it's interconnectedness and enjoy the ride.

You will change front airbags at some point. But realize that the job is not that tough to do. If you can change a McPherson Strut, you can change the front airbags. It's relatively straight forward. The EAS Buddy Reset tool is really an invaluable item in this whole equation though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
1. Calculate the cost of replacing a couple airbags.
2. Calculate the cost of halving the resale value of your car
3. Realize that it is not cheaper to convert your MkIII from airbags to springs, in fact it in the long run it will cost you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes right on resale - for sure; I would not buy a vehicle that was modded. That said, I do not have any plans whatsoever to sell it in the long run. Want to keep it for a very long time.

Definitely some interesting things to think about; opinions much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
While setting up a kit with proper springs is not black magic, I've heard nothing good about the ride of the kits on the market.

Aside from that, though what is your application? Why do you think you'd be better off with conventional springs? The air suspension is one of the best features on the RR. On a P38, I argued (and still argue) the same way - tho I can possibly see it being justified as the P38's EAS is much more fault prone than the LM's. Put the air suspension in good order and your good for 5+ years. Then you put the suspension in good order and you're good for another 5+ years... and so on

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the option as more of a 'what if'. Agreed that it would kill whatever resale one could theoretically get (if that were the case) but on the other hand it would solve the issue with the air bags failing. However, to not have the access height for the wife & kids? That would suck. Also it seems the heioght is changing not all the time but at least some proportion thereof.

One of my buds has a P38 w/coils vs airbags. I don't know, rides fine; sort of like my 4Runner - little stiff but not too bad. He did not really notice a major difference between the two. I'm much less inclined to do a conversion with the MKIII though. Was more looking for opinions or experience as I've not met/known even one person who has done such a conversion on the current-designed truck.

I do know that there is no way I will be the first to take the plunge/chance though...

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
It is so fun seeing the topic of castration moving up a model. :thumb:

As the MarkIII ages the topic of springs vs proper maintenance will become more heated with the views of real cost vs perceived cost. Same topic, different model, same arguments. Thanks Shupac and Storey the MarkIII folks will stay on the road at a fraction of the cost of dealer pricing.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I've seen a couple converted, so you're not the first, no bad reviews or requests for returns, but no "I love it" feedback either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truth be told, if the dealer quotes me = $5,600 for the worst case scenario of replacing the 4 bags+2 compressors+labor+part-of-my-soul one would look at the equation and say, hmm, I have a lot better places to put that money than into the only "asset" that is guaranteed to only depreciate; one of my vehicles let alone a Land Rover Range Rover which has one of the most severe depreciation value of I believe any luxury brand; at least in the US unless I am mistaken). Only in rare situations does a vehicle make you money & driving/using it sure as to hell is not it.

That said, if it makes sense to have a RR that I intend to keep for as far as I can see & is all RR except it has a more practical, longterm solution rather than something that will fail again + is ~the same price as fixing one of the air bags then, yes, as a longterm investment decision - well, that's a decision folks differ about all the time. Currently, there ar eno issues w/our truck at all - everything fine. However, I like to have things in place when/if they need be or at least have an idea about what is the most informed decision should the need be.

It would be helpful to have a complete "fix", or whatnot, for the error messages that will/would inevitably occur. Tough call. At least at this point.

shupack said:
I've seen a couple converted, so you're not the first, no bad reviews or requests for returns, but no "I love it" feedback either.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Galen said:
Truth be told, if the dealer quotes me = $5,600 for the worst case scenario of replacing the 4 bags+2 compressors+labor+part-of-my-soul one would look at the equation and say, hmm, I have a lot better places to put that money
There's your problem: dealer. While your RR depreciates, the service charges at the dealer don't. See Shupack or the site sponsor Arnott above and compare prices. And find yourself a competent indy.

I couldn't agree more: blowing $5600 at the dealers is silly. BTW, where do you have a 2nd compressor? ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Galen said:
Truth be told, if the dealer quotes me = $5,600 for the worst case scenario of replacing the 4 bags+2 compressors+labor+part-of-my-soul one would look at the equation and say, hmm, I have a lot better places to put that money than into the only "asset" that is guaranteed to only depreciate
Why go to the dealer? :shock:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
shupack said:
Have a beer or 3 - $1000
I like your math. With that kind of consumption foreseeable, get the P38 and the 350 married so I have an excuse to fly out and do some electrics :mrgreen:

(I hope this didn't scare Galen away...) :p

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've seen this topic come up in several threads. I think it usually ends up one of two ways:

1) Most people agree that if you do repairs yourself it isn't nearly as costly as you think to maintain EAS, the system generally works better in the MKIII than the older models, and you should not throw out the EAS unless you have a specific reason (i.e. you want to do a huge suspension lift or something for monster tires)

2) There is a big fight because the person asking the question has already pretty much decided to do springs and gets upset with people questioning the logic, or implying that they aren't rich enough, etc., etc., resulting in the thread being locked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts