RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I purchased a 2003 L322 recently.

According to the service records, the previous owner had the NAV system replaced at the LR dealer because it wasn't working(about 3 months ago). What i appear to have is a MK4 Nav computer...it has the DVD logo on the front, indicating the DVD system, HOWEVER, the disc inside it is a CD and the nav has the old MK3 graphics...

In addition, the BMW splash screen comes up. I was told that the LR dealer tried to change the firmware so a LR screen would come up instead of BMW and they had no success...

The service invoice from the dealer says "ACCESS OLD COMPUTER AND REMOVE DISC-NEW UNIT IS BMW BUILD-TRY TO REPROGRAM WITH LR PROGRAMMING-PROGRAMMING WILL NOT TAKE".

I have read all the threads about updating the firmware/changing the splash screen on the MK4...so I burned the Mk4 firmware disc, inserted it, and got a message that says an incorrect disc has been inserted.

Is it possible that the LR tech took a new MK4 unit and reprogrammed it to work as a MK3? If so, can I change it back?

If I can't, does anyone have a firmware download with a LR or RR splash screen for the MK3? I've found plenty for the MK4, but only outdated instructions for MK3...The links to the Navtweek programs and such are all out of date...no longer there....

Any solutions?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,281 Posts
That is a bit strange. Maybe the previous owner wanted to try to keep the off-road navigation capability of the LR Mk III software, which you lose going to the BMW Mk IV system? What software revision number is it running?

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It reads exactly as in your photo "SW 4- 1/00"

I was told the tech attempted to load the firmware to change the BMW splash screen and could not get it to change. The disc in the DVD player is a home made CD-R that I assume was made by the technician. The full set of original MK3 CDs were in the glovebox(dated 2002 & 2003), along with a Land Rover DVD of N. America & Canada dated 2004....I tried the Land Rover DVD in the player, and the screen says incorrect disc entered...The NavTech CDs work, however...It has the split screen feature, and a setting for "Perspective" in the setting/menu...not sure if you typically find those on a MK3 or not...I viewed a Bimmer website that said these were features of the MK4...

The Nav WORKS...it just drives me crazy that a BMW screen pops up every time I start the vehicle and IF I have a MK4, I would like to take advantage of all of it's potential in addition to changing the splash screen...Thanks again, Chris

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,281 Posts
Ahhh, right. Yes you have a Mk IV running v32 firmware.

The reason the Land Rover DVD won't work is because Land Rover never used the BMW Mk IV sat. nav. so it's the wrong disc for that unit. You need a BMW 'high' map DVD.

If you're absolutely stuck for the splash screen I can stick a CD in the post to you. Actually, I'd have to send you two because you have to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version before you can upgrade it again to v32. I assume that you have this splash screen :

Is this the one you're after ? :

Actually, if you have another image you'd prefer for your splash screen I could easily send that instead, it just needs to be a 400 x 234 .gif image. I had a picture of my kids on mine (until I became sick of the sight of them and changed it back again :))

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Phil,
Yes, that is the BMW splash screen I have...
I would like to have this one, and have made an upgrade disc from this download...
http://www.myrangerover.co.uk/MyRangeRover/MK4Firmware1020.html
photo-filtered.jpg

I attempted this splash screen upgrade, but I am guessing it does not work because I have to downgrade my firmware first...correct?

Please send me the 2 discs you have...I would very much appreciate it, and am more than happy to reimburse you for your trouble!
One last thing...
So after I run the discs to first downgrade the firmware, then upgrade and change the splash screen...then I can use a BMW high map DVD to utilize the improved qualities/features of the MK4, correct?
Please confirm...and thank you so much for your help Phil!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil,
I got the splash screen changed...The link on my previous post will upgrade the firmware without having to downgrade. I was burning the disc with my MAC and decided to try burning with my PC using CloneDVD at 1X speed, and it worked perfectly...and I now know that I need to get a BMW high version DVD if I want to take advantage of the features/upgrades of the MK4, but can use the MK3 CDs in the mean time.
Thanks a million for your help...I think I'm all set now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a noob to the RR car. I literally wrote the check for a 2003 HSE yesterday. I have an 01 740il so i'm familiar with the interface and i'm a DIY'er. But i can't get the link to work. My 7's been upgraded so i have USB, MK4 etc and i want to move that to the RR. I'll be pulling the rovers CD Changer out tonite to see if i can swap in my SD USb device as well as swap the Mk4 for the Mk3. But i need that Landy firmware please...
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I've been reading old posts about the sat nav. My 2004 l322 is suffering battery drain I had a mk3 unit out of an e39 bmw so fitted it and it powers up but I can't get the disk out of the old unit and I would like the RR logo ...have you still got the Firmware

1 - 10 of 10 Posts