RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MK3 died so it needs to be replaced and I have been looking into the MK4 upgrade.

I see a lot of MK4 Navs on ebay. Will any Mk4 nav work or do we need a specific version?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not aware of there being different versions of the MKIV.

By the way, upgrading the to the MKIV is one of the best and quickest upgrades I've ever done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
it is an upgrade you can do yourself in 10-15 min

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Many on offer on eBay are from Eastern European countries and pulled out of BMW 5 & 7 Series. Be careful that you have Western Europe (Or USA if relevant) Maps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read in another thread here that in order to do play dvd's on the main screen / dashboard monitor, you need a separate DVD player aside from the MK4 NAV/DVD system. Is this true? Also, how much are the MK4 systems going for? I'd like to do this upgrade myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my MK4 from the auto wreaker and installed it in the parking lot once it worked I paid the guy $480 for both (400 mK4 80 new radio computer) Changed it from USA location to Canada and got rid of the USA acceptance screen. Looking in to DVD playing next. Oh got a 2007 BMW DVD from used car lot ,so every thing is on one CD. The RR cd worked but was a 2002 version

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
The MK4 nav computer is just a nav computer. AFAIK it doesn't play DVD movies.... I believe a DVD player can be added without too much extra work as there is an S-Video in feed in the boot, but I believe it will only play the sound in Mono? Someone else may need to confirm that for you.

Dan

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any of you know if the Mk4 version has the same problem of dieing a horrible death if the power is disconnected before the red light goes out?

I just purchased a mk4 version of sleazebay. Hopefuly it arrives in working condition :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
Any of you know if the Mk4 version has the same problem of dieing a horrible death if the power is disconnected before the red light goes out?

I just purchased a mk4 version of sleazebay. Hopefuly it arrives in working condition :shock:
Yes I think it kills it (white screen of death). It's killed every other vesion of the Nav computer Mk1, 2 and 3. I see no reason why 4 would be any different. Basically a power failure whilst its doing a memory dump is a bad idea.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Yes I think it kills it (white screen of death). It's killed every other vesion of the Nav computer Mk1, 2 and 3. I see no reason why 4 would be any different. Basically a power failure whilst its doing a memory dump is a bad idea.
That is a pretty crappy design. You gotta wonder if the designers ever owned a car. Who has never burnt a fuse or had a dead battery? To design a thousand dollar item that dies if the power is unplugged is absolutely rediculous. Right up there with faultmate burning up from being unplugged in the wrong sequence :D

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
To be fair, it's fairly standard on any car with integrated sat nav. Obviously its a BMW system so a proportion of the blame can go to them. I agree that there should be a backup battery for the NAV Computer, it need only be small for it to complete its memory write.

The more complicated cars get, the more care will have to be taken when working on them, which is why I’m wary about taking the RR to garages who haven't worked on one before (and even some that have still shock me with their incompetence!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts