RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If those that are buying used MK4 nav units, or already have one and the disc is not being read all of a sudden, here is a great DIY to get it running again. If this was posted already my bad. Just had my boy do mine yesterday and directions are great. I tried compressed air and a dvd cleaner disc and nothing worked so the next thing was to try the laser:

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all-bm ... -unit.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, great write-up by the guy over at xoutpost. I purchased a used MK4 unit, and I'm having issues with it reading the Firmware-update disc, so yesterday I purchased a new laser unit from Ebay.

The actual Laser unit is a Sanyo SF-HD4

Cost was less than $20, including Shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280739313447

I'll report back here following the installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, I'm reporting back, following the install -

1. I agree that the write-up in the Xoutpost forum is very accurate.

2. Make sure you have a micro-Torx set of screwdrivers before you begin!

3. ISSUE - I have NOT completed the installation for the following reason:

4. At the end of the instructions, it says don't forget to remove the 2 "Solder Bridges" (from the Laser-unit Ribbon). I am not an experienced electrical / soldering person, and figuring I could make a mess of this, I stopped the installation, and am seeking advice from fellow forum-members who have completed this project. Following some basic internet research, my understanding is that a 'solder bridge' is simply a situation where some solder 'reaches' across / touches / is in contact with, 2 electrical lines / connections, and needs to be removed, using flux, a soldering iron, and some alcohol to clean-up the ribbon / circuit board. BUT, when I study both of the 1mm diameter blobs of solder on the laser ribbon, it does not look like either blob is touching 'another' (a 2nd), connection. So why does it need to be removed? Why was this solder put there in the first place? How do I remove it without melting the ribbon with the soldering iron and generally making a mess of things?

4. Therefore, Help please.....

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts