RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the rover to the shop to have a flashing CEL under load diagnosed. There is oil leaking down the back of the motor hitting the exhaust and coming down the bell housing. I had the valve covers gaskets replaced, the spark plugs, and coils 182,000 miles so it couldn't hurt. I got the car back a and there is still oil running down the back and the misfire and smoke from burning oil on the passenger bank 1-4. I got codes for misfire on bank 1 and random misfire code with the shop scanner.

All Comms isn't giving me anything. The shop is a quarter mile from my house so I limped it back home. They replaced the passenger bank valve cover gasket again no charge and still a leak and smoke. The shop thinks it's the rear main seal. Both cats have cracks at the welds also. I don't see any smoke coming from the exhaust. I have included pictures of the spark plugs and one hose and eletrical connector that aren't connected that i'm trying to track down.

IMG_6026.JPG
IMG_6029.JPG
IMG_6024.JPG

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The hose is a breather tube,doesn't connect to anything.
The connector looks like the one that should connect to your purge solenoid, mounted in front of the engine, in front of the ... Right bank (?) I think? It may be in front of the driver side head, but I think the passenger (bank 1, U.S. Spec).
I don't have my RR handy, and it's been a while since I've had to clean that purge solenoid...

And yes, your plugs look a little on the fouled side.
Disconnected purge solenoid and leaky cats could contribute to that.

Check your PCV system. Too much crankcase pressure can make oil come out of odd places.

The cats are easy to remove.
Take them off & get the cracks welded, or you could pay a shop 8x or more as much to take them off and weld the cracks. Or you could find a good, honest exhaust shop that'll weld them for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you aren't far away as I'm in South Florida. I will check the purge solenoid, the wiring on this connector doesn't look long enough to reach the driver side. Theres about 3-4" of slack with this connector on the passenger side. The PCV system has been replaced within 15,000 miles. The fuel pump also and fuel filter. I can pull the cats off.

The misfire goes away at idle and since the last valve cover replacement it also goes away at light throttle after 2k rpm and then it comes back. As soon as I return to idle the CEL will flash for a few seconds then return to solid. The solid CEL is for the cats.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
After looking at the engine, that connector looks more like the one that connects to the variable valve timing solenoid, one on the front of each head.
That being off should give you a few problems.

Ohio is a ways from s. Fl.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Variable Valve Timing solenoids are both already connected. I disconnected the coil to cylinder 1 and idle didn't get worse. Disconnted 2 and 4 and it got worse. I swapped another coil into 1 and then disconnected it, it still get any better. I've already changed the plug in cylinder 1 twice, so next thing would be the injector and compression test in 1.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
760 Posts
That looks like the connector for the SAI Solenoid valve. This valve was deleted in 2004 cars and newer so is most likely just there for decoration. Can you confirm the colours of the wires.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It's possible that the ignition wires to cylinder 1 coil were damaged when the camshaft covers were removed. Those wires and the wire loom are a bit dicey.

I forgot about the Secondary Air (not to be misconstrued as a second derrière) Injection pump. I don't believe I have that or the connector for it on my '03.
Even though that's gone, the Evaporative Emissions Purge valve (EVAP) still remains.

If the wires are one brown and one black/red/yellow wire, it would be for the obsolete SAI.
As per RAVE.
If it's for the EVAP solenoid, it's a red/blue wire and a brown wire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill check on the color of the wires in the morning. I need to check on the vacuum lines from the SAI on the Audi S4. I have a 2005 RR so i'll see what thats for and report back with whatever I find for cylinder 1 and the oil leak.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
760 Posts
If the wires are one brown and one black/red/yellow wire, it would be for the obsolete SAI.
As per RAVE.
If it's for the EVAP solenoid, it's a red/blue wire and a brown wire.
According to my RAVE and looking on my car, the colours to the "second derrière" valve are red/white and blue/yellow.:shock:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to my RAVE and looking on my car, the colours to the "second derrière" valve are red/white and blue/yellow.:shock:
The wires to the connector are Red/White Green/Yellow maybe a shade of Blue/Yellow it's dirty.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
760 Posts
Ok. That confirms its for the SAI which your year vehicle does not have. Personally I would wrap some tape around it to stop it getting full of crud and secure it out of the way.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm confused.
Page 84 of the RAVE I'm looking at has color codes of BRY and N for the two wires going to the M207 Pump-Air Injection.
Page 3 of the RAVE says that B =black, R=red and Y = yellow, and N = brown.
Am I looking at a different page or SAI? Or isa 2005 different from an '03? Or the wrong part?

I do see in RAVE a red/white going from fuse 51 to R223 Air Injection Pump Relay.

What page should I be looking at?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
760 Posts
The plug in the original photo is for the SAI Solenoid Valve which on the early cars sits next to the fuel rail on the right hand side of the engine. Not for the pump itself.

The SAI valve D200 is shown under Engine Management System and the pump M207 is shown in Secondary Air Injection in RAVE Electrical Circuit Diagrams.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have codes P0391 for Cylinder 1 and P2178 system too rich off idle bank 1. Along with a rear main seal leak. There's lots of vapor coming from the oil fill cap when removed. A new coil, spark plug, and injector have been added with no misfires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
2003 L322, 138k miles. I recently noticed I have a substantial engine oil leak coming from the same area. It appears to be dripping around the bell housing, then running along the frame rails. There are 2 rubber inspection plugs that I just noticed down there, not even sure what those are for. I have been using Mobil 1 5w30 for years and just switched to European formula 0w40. Noticed a difference right away in smoothness on startups. I noticed the leak starting pretty much right after I changed the oil (about a month ago). I can't find a source when inspecting the engine bay, however I stuck my head back to inspect the PCV and it does seem like some might be coming from the cyclonical oil separator area. Dipstick is reading a good oil level, is it possible that I might have overfilled without realizing and this is discharge of excess oil? Have never seen this leak before though. Unsure if the two are related but, I also have some strange engine performance as well. The truck starts and idles like always and revs good in neutral, but in gear, even at a stop light, and under a load it gets a bit choked up even causing a little bit of a bucking feeling intermittently... doesn't really feel like a misfire though. Check Engine Light was on for a little while, but haven't seen it recently. Computer is not reading any codes. Changed the spark plugs - no oil in valve cover area, tested the coils, even brought it to the shop who rebuilt my transmission because I thought that was the problem at first. Alternator was replaced a few years back, can't really think of any cause. Just yesterday I took the air filter out and cleaned it (I have a K&N drop in filter), it was absolutely filthy. Went for a ride around the block with no filter at all and the engine ran smooth. Put the cleaned filter back in and noticed a substantial improvement. Got a new PCV valve and tubing which I plan to install this week going to clean the cyclone also. Hoping that will help the leak, exhaust smoke and what I thought to be a pretty normal L322 wheezing idle. I actually had the catastrophic oil loss a number of years ago during the winter with negative temperatures and was clueless to a reason for that until learning about the PCV problem just recently. Anyone have any input/suggestions? Hoping the PCV replacement goes smooth, I didn’t get any replacement torx bolts though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts