RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 rover 4.0 is running the codes p307, p1313 and p1314. I took it into the shop and they said everything was fine and the engine looked good as well as the new spark plugs and wires. So the only thing they could come up with was the the mass air flow sensor was bad. They quoted me a price of $600 for that part but decided just to clean it put as it was very dirty. The CEL came back and according to the shop that means I need a new Sensor. I've looked at the symptoms of needed a new MAF sensor and they don't seem to apply to me. My car never stalls, doesn't idle rough as far as I can tell. Only symptom I'm having which I'm not sure is related is that over 50 and under 60 mph it runs pretty rough. At this speed it feels like I'm driving over a road that needs repaving.

Anyone have any advise as to what's going on? Do you really think I need a new sensor or could it just be I have crappy non-Champion spark plugs?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
you sure it's the engine at those speeds and not your driveline? Next time it does it, and you feel safe, put it in neutral. If the bumpiness keeps up it's not your engine. Shutter from 55-60 mph is VERY common in these rigs, and most often is associated to improper tire pressures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds about right. My tires have worn unevenly due to my worn tie rods I just had replaced. Probably should get new ones. With the check engine light back on do you suggest I replace the maf sensor? I read that a dirty maf sensor means it wasn't functioning correctly and cleaning it won't help. The cel blinks when it comes on, stays solid for awhile, randomly blinks for a few minutes and then goes off a couple days later and stays off and then the cycle repeats. The blinking seems to have become more frequent over time.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
The blinking is sort of weird. When mine went there was no blinking involved, not to say that is the norm or not. There's somewhere on here where you can put in your codes and it will tell you exactly what it is. If you get a gear ration incorrect code, it's always the MAF.

Is there anyone near you that would let you swap MAF's for a couple days to see if that's what it is that's bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After having the MAF cleaned, the check engine light is no longer blinking. When it first came on, it didn't blink either. It just took awhile for it to start blinking.

Can replacing the MAF be done easily? I can't seem to find any info on how to do it.

Thanks so much.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Cleaning the MAF / changing the MAF without resetting the adaptive values dosent serve anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I reset the adaptive valves without going to the shop? How would I do that? I went to a non-RR shop originally. Is it likely they didn't know to reset these?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
trdarch said:
Can I reset the adaptive valves without going to the shop? How would I do that? I went to a non-RR shop originally. Is it likely they didn't know to reset these?
No you can't without going to the shop. Some LR indies do have the diagnostic tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts