RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, some may recall that I posted a topic on this problem.

Well it turns out to be the dreaded carboned up valves, yipe.... dragged off the head off right side, poured some petrol into
exhaust ports and....."oh look petrols comming through on all 4", did the same with inlets and yes you got it "oh look petrols
commnig through but only on one".

So tonight I drag off the left side head and It was a repeat whts been typed above..
Prior to removing of heads I removed rocker assemblies and placed a steel ruler straight across, looked like the Alps with
gaps on certain valve stems and judged this to be what I thought it would be.

Having done sum serious digging on net it points out to low octane fuel and lack of oil changes been the main culprut so new
carbon breaker valves WILL be installed along with valve stem seals on ALL guides
Oil to be synthetic, proberly Shell and fuel no less than 95ron

Rest of motor is spot on and will no doubt have many good miles out of her.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for commenting on the issue. How long do you think you drove it with the valves stuck or did the motor all of a sudden run like a dog .and you stopped to open it. We run ours on 87 octane and no observable issues so far so ; with the new style valves you should be good for the next lifetime. What year did they figure out that a revision to the valve stem was in order.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently bought this vehicle and from day one knew a few things needed sorting out, one night out with friends I noticed it had power then it didnt and so it got worse very quickly, were taliking within a 100km (60miles)

Being a macky I know when a motor is up to something, I guess its in my blood if I dare say so and can admit to being a good one at that too, not to mention how many customers I have repeatedly calling and referring me.

So my issue started with low on power and heavy on fuel, this is a good sign of whats to come.
Next I carried out a service, replaced Ht leads and plugs, this is where it gets interesting, changing plugs really brought out the misfire but I thought it "might be" plug related even possibly a bad batch of HT leads so I tried various plugs trying to deny what I really knew it would be...guess I proved myself wrong.

Took heads into engineering shop today and got them to remove a exhaust valve there and then, and so they did, the guy then buffed up a valv for me to check and it was nicely carboned up but not gunged thick, yipe this motor is good, anyway bugger me but the exhaust valves are the carbon breaker type installed, speaking to previous owner it seems this car had a engine change by dealers so Im thinking that they skimmed heads and reassembled without carrying out the rocker preload check but this problem is also assosiated with bad quality oil (as I call it "cheap s**t) and low octane fuel.

Another nice item that masks a misfire are cats, I had mine cut out and straight sections welded in place, after this the misfire was now more pronounced than before

Just to clarify my misfire it was evident at idle and contined through the rev range, noise from exhaust pipe end was also another pointer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts