RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misc. AV functions sometimes staying "offline" at startup

I just bought a 2012 RRS Supercharged a few weeks ago.

I've noticed that after getting in the car and starting it, there's about a 20% chance that either the audio system doesn't ever start up (no music and the audio button is greyed out for the whole journey), or sometimes the rear view camera screen just stays black, or more rarely, the nav system doesn't ever start up. One time the rear view camera screen showed an icon like the camera wasn't sending a signal (red camera with an X through it). I've found a solution to any/all of these is to turn off the ignition, get out and lock the car, leave it for maybe 30 seconds then try again and everything then usually works OK. Just turning off/on the ignition for the same time without exiting/locking the car wont fix it.

I've had several Jags and already know that the AV system on Jags can be very touchy about anything less than maximum voltage at startup (i.e less than 12.5v or so) or the AV system just locks up and stays showing the Jaguar logo (even if you turn the ignition off), then you have to temporarily pop a fuse to get it back. Do RR's have a similar problem?

I just fitted a brand new battery (specifically a Super Start Extreme from O'Reilly because it was a swap-out replacement as the battery in the car when I bought it went bad, but was still under warranty) so the currently installed battery should at least in theory be OK/holding a voltage well. Prior to purchasing the vehicle I had full inspection from an LR dealership and one item they mentioned was that the battery wasn't the recommended brand, but he said he'd just noted it, and that the fitted battery should be fine. Do certain battery brands hold a higher voltage on startup better which is why they make a point of recommending a particular battery?

Also, It may be my imagination, but the music system never starting seems to happen more frequently if I have a thumb drive of MP3 files already plugged into the USB port when I turn the car on.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
409 Posts
Well it is true - low voltage can cause electronics not to boot properly - you could to measure the battery voltage before you start - even could battery could drain fast if there is another issue like bad alternator diodes - but could also be an intermittent ground somewhere in the IVI system .... for example . Could try pulling the appropriate fuse and reinstalling it ....

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Misc. AV functions sometimes staying "offline" at startu

I started the car this morning and the screen stayed totally black, other than the backup camera display popped up as normal when I shifted into reverse. the starter motor turned the engine over just fine, it didn't sound like the battery was at all low.
I drove about 2 miles to the gas station, powered off and locked the car for a couple of minutes while I gassed up. Got in and hit the start button, the main screen came up fine but the audio section on the display was greyed out, and it didn't detect/connect to my phone. Drove 2 miles to the coffee shop. Locked the car and got a coffee. Came back, restarted, and everything worked fine now, except the seat and steering wheel moved to a different position. I pushed the seat memory button and they went right back to my stored position of where they should be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts