RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around doing errands all day, and everything was tickety-boo. Then, after leaving the hardware store, I realized that my temperature dial was maxed out with the warning light on. I had to drive about 500m or so before I could pull over, and just as I was pulling over, it went back to normal. I drove very lightly for the rest of the way home, and watched the dial like a hawk. Nothing happened. I thought I noticed a slight surging feeling when the light was on, with a on/off sensation from the engine, but it was very slight. Upon reading around here, I'm not entirely sure (and worried) as to what it might be. What are your recommendations as to how I should address this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
jmason said:
I was driving around doing errands all day, and everything was tickety-boo. Then, after leaving the hardware store, I realized that my temperature dial was maxed out with the warning light on. I had to drive about 500m or so before I could pull over, and just as I was pulling over, it went back to normal. I drove very lightly for the rest of the way home, and watched the dial like a hawk. Nothing happened. I thought I noticed a slight surging feeling when the light was on, with a on/off sensation from the engine, but it was very slight. Upon reading around here, I'm not entirely sure (and worried) as to what it might be. What are your recommendations as to how I should address this problem?

Thanks
You need to determine if the vehicle is overheating or the temp gauge is acting up. There was a TIB for faulty gauge operation. A new sensor was fitted along with a ground update. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
are you replaced the speedo lately?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It hasn't happened again, so I'm just assuming it was a little glitch somewhere in some system in the vehicle. I'm still keeping an eye on it though, and will be back here if it happens again.

·
Registered
701 Posts
mine does this... Its usually an electric grounding issue (that I have yet to repair). The more electricity used, the "hotter" the vehicle gets. Verify it with a scanner (195 to 205F is normal), as overheating your rover means DEATH to your engine.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
59 Posts
Just as a head's up, the guage moves up to the 'high' white line at approx 250F. I verified this with my scanner. The standard 'sat in the middle of the normal zone seems to cover all temps from 150 to 250! How do I know? I wanted to know if it was my temp guage or my engine that was overheating. As it turned out, I 'd just got home to get my scanner as the temp guage went to red and turned the light on. I plugged it in, started up and temp guage was back in the middle. Drove away as I was selecting 'live data' on the scanner. I'm not sure what occurred first, me realizing that the scanner gave me the value in degrees C or me looking up to see the temp needle pointed at the warning light... Either way, as I turned around to get the Rover home (1/2 mile) there was all kinds of mechanical racket. I did a quick calculation and thought 126 degrees C seemed a little high. By the time I got home it was all too late. Piston had a hole, head gaskets gone and a nice crack (chunk missing) in the liner in No.8 cylinder. Looked like head gasket failed first, pumping coolant and combustion pressure into the crankcase..
I'm sure it has been covered many times before, but as soon as you see the temp guage go up, pull over. If it happens to me again I'd rather block a lane of traffic or get an illegally parked ticket if I couldn't pull off the road immediately, trust me, it is cheaper than finding a new block and doing a full rebuild!!! 8-0=

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the other day my dial came up again, and I was able to hop out to see that indeed my engine was fairly toasty. I topped up the oil, and it seemed to fix the problem as indeed I was running low - there's a slight leak somewhere, as by looking under the car, I could see some oil visible (but not dripping). Today I drove for a while, and just at the end of my trip I saw the dial starting to climb. I let off the gas, and it dropped right down again, and behaved for the rest of the drive. I'm going to get the oil changed hopefully tomorrow, as even on my dipstick the oil looks dark and burnt. I'm nowhere really near a Rover technician, and I hope that my problem isn't as severe as Englishdan's. How might I check to see if that's the case?

Also, I still need to use the vehicle every now and then. If I watch the dial like a hawk, can driving the vehicle (while the dial is still in it's normal position) be harmful to the engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts