1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a check engine light.

Problem looked at by dealership in Sidcup Kent (80 pounds) for test book time
Test book results
Multiple misfire (code indicates which cylinders)
Misfire likley to cause cat damage.
Deal suggest:
Replace coil pack...oh well what the hell (have not replaced in at least 10 years)
Replace O2 senors ouch! senors have been replaced twice within 50,000 miles
1st by RR Houston as part of general recall for cat damage
2nd by RR repair shop Portland OR when experiencing drivability issues (loss of power / misfire)

Removed O2 sensors found that they looked the same.
The serial numbers were not matched (were swapped canty corner)
cleaned senors and replaced with serial numbers matched side by side / pre / post cat converter.
back to dealer and code cleared (at no additional charge thanks)
Now the current problem:
Collected RR from port (shipped back to USA in 40ft container) Drive for a few days and misfire/engine stubble Check engine light back on. Could this be bad US gas.
Now the RR alarming will will just quit or in Rolls Royce lingo, 'fail to procced'

This stalling or engine quit will happen on engine overrun (not accelerating) when driving at speed on the interstate, or when at idle in traffic. problem is intermittant, and I do not wish to spend another $90 at dealer to clear code/engine light.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Re: mis behaving and other drivability problems ck engine lig

When is the last time your plugs and wires were changed?

What about cleaning your maf?

Those are both cheap and easy. I wouldn't suspect the gas.

When the dealer recommended swapping the coil pack(s), did they actually test to see if they were producing any spark?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi kmagnuss
Thanks for your reply.

Check .Plug wires (basic set) replaced
Check. Ditto spark plugs as part of the solution, code cleared by independent repair shop in Wales (on route from Ireland to the UK)
Problem solved for a short while.

Dealer did not confirm if they actually tested for a spark (as this misfire problem seems to be a consistant issue with RR I decided to replace the coil pack anyway. (got new one at reasonal price from supplier in UK)
(I suspect that although the dealer was reasonably helpful, the dealer was not motivated to go above and beyond with non warrantied work and not batting on the side of those how wish to do most of the repair work themselves)

MAF....The way I understand it and according to the RR manual a MAF malfunction will cause an engine code, and if malfunctioning will cause the engine to stall very soon after start.
Check have cleaned the MAF with (correct) MAF spray purchased in USA.

Will be buying a HawkEye (as soon as cash flow permits) hopefully this will help solve this problem
thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

typically when a maf starts to go, you get weird codes like "lean bank 1" or "gear ratio 3 incorrect". I dunno about the other studdering man. Are you burning any coolant?

·
Registered
517 Posts

pdg said:
Will be buying a HawkEye (as soon as cash flow permits) hopefully this will help solve this problem
thanks
Paul
I would have a read of viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35344&start=45 before deciding on the HawkEye. In the meantime if you just want to get to the main engine data a cheap ($30- 40) elm based obd scanner connected to a laptop may help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts